Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2015, 09:23 AM

20,764 posts, read 19,976,767 times

Advertisements

It would be interesting to hear the other side of the story.

Anyhow, focus on your interview, practise your speech a little and what they could ask you. Leave the house early enough so you don't have to rush, bring all your paperwork, get some info about the company (they are always impressed if you did some research on them) and SMILE. SINCERE SMILE.

Focus on the family thing AFTERWARDS.

Good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2015, 09:27 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,251,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjohnson4381 View Post
My husband has been out of town for the past week and we got into this big fight via text on Monday. It started out as me complaining about a video game he plays and how I had a bad experience with the company that makes the game. I was saying nasty things about the company and that irritated him because I guess I did it one too many times. It escalated into him telling me he was tired of me and my complaining, hating and issues with my body. He told me I was just like my dad, which I did not like because my dad is kind of a jerk. He says that I'm anti-social and hate all people (not true, I'm just introverted and don't have or want tons of friends...but I do have a couple). And then he said once we get our money situation straightened out, we're going to get a divorce.

Then we talked again last night. He was still kind of negative and said we are headed to divorce town unless I "get some help". I made an appointment today to ask my doctor for anti-anxiety medication, I figured that's what he was getting at. But that doesn't really help me right now. I have a job interview tomorrow for a job that I think I might really enjoy and that will pay me well, but on top of being stressed out about everything, my self-esteem is in the gutter.

Oh yeah, and I also made my sister angry last night, so I'm worried that she will tell him the things I said while I was upset (I'm tired of supporting his &$$....I'm the best thing that happened to him but he still acts like a *%$&!, etc) because he's staying with my family right now. And my mom has been telling him stories about how mean I was as a kid and how I used to scream a lot. I asked him if she told him any good stories about me and he said "are there any?", so I take that as a "no".

I keep thinking about texting him to ask him for a vote of confidence for my interview but I'm worried we'll get into a fight again. I really want a peaceful night tonight. I also want to get some self-esteem back. Maybe I am an awful person. My best friend says I didn't do anything wrong and that he's just being a jerk. But my husband is threatening to divorce me, my mom doesn't have any good stories to tell about me and now my sister won't talk to me.

But I can work on all that later and I will. I don't want to be a bad person, if I indeed am one. For now, though, I just want to be relaxed and confident for my interview tomorrow. Any tips on how to feel better about yourself and not worry about the storm that might be ahead?
So dump them all along with their childish drama, get the new job and live your life the way you want to.
With that much negativity around you so often it is no wonder you have anxiety.

Old 06-04-2015, 09:41 AM

10,125 posts, read 13,988,162 times
Quote:
My husband has been out of town for the past week and we got into this big fight via text on Monday. It started out as me complaining about a video game he plays and how I had a bad experience with the company that makes the game. I was saying nasty things about the company and that irritated him because I guess I did it one too many times. It escalated into him telling me he was tired of me and my complaining, hating and issues with my body. He told me I was just like my dad, which I did not like because my dad is kind of a jerk. He says that I'm anti-social and hate all people (not true, I'm just introverted and don't have or want tons of friends...but I do have a couple). And then he said once we get our money situation straightened out, we're going to get a divorce.

Then we talked again last night. He was still kind of negative and said we are headed to divorce town unless I "get some help". I made an appointment today to ask my doctor for anti-anxiety medication, I figured that's what he was getting at. But that doesn't really help me right now. I have a job interview tomorrow for a job that I think I might really enjoy and that will pay me well, but on top of being stressed out about everything, my self-esteem is in the gutter.

Oh yeah, and I also made my sister angry last night, so I'm worried that she will tell him the things I said while I was upset (I'm tired of supporting his &$$....I'm the best thing that happened to him but he still acts like a *%$&!, etc) because he's staying with my family right now. And my mom has been telling him stories about how mean I was as a kid and how I used to scream a lot. I asked him if she told him any good stories about me and he said "are there any?", so I take that as a "no".

I keep thinking about texting him to ask him for a vote of confidence for my interview but I'm worried we'll get into a fight again. I really want a peaceful night tonight. I also want to get some self-esteem back. Maybe I am an awful person. My best friend says I didn't do anything wrong and that he's just being a jerk. But my husband is threatening to divorce me, my mom doesn't have any good stories to tell about me and now my sister won't talk to me.

But I can work on all that later and I will. I don't want to be a bad person, if I indeed am one. For now, though, I just want to be relaxed and confident for my interview tomorrow. Any tips on how to feel better about yourself and not worry about the storm that might be ahead?
This part jumped out at me. Why do you have low self-esteem? Why do you think so little of yourself?

Old 06-04-2015, 11:08 AM

9,053 posts, read 17,201,105 times
When texting first came out, I thought it was fantastic - but unfortunately, a lot of people have substituted it for basic communication, which leads to a population that seems to have lost the ability to relate to each other.

Key and Peel show this in a funny way:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=naleynXS7yo

Old 06-04-2015, 12:51 PM

12,535 posts, read 15,204,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justtitans View Post
This part jumped out at me. Why do you have low self-esteem? Why do you think so little of yourself?
I'd hazard a guess that it has something to do with this:

Quote:
And my mom has been telling him stories about how mean I was as a kid and how I used to scream a lot. I asked him if she told him any good stories about me and he said "are there any?", so I take that as a "no".
It sounds like the parents were hypercritical and said precious little that was positive or encouraging to the OP. That will both destroy a kid's self-esteem and teach the kid how to be hypercritical themselves. It will also teach a kid that negative attention is better than no attention and the kid will learn to equate criticism with love, so the kid grows up to be attracted to jackasses like the OP's husband.

Now it's on the OP to get the help she needs to change her mindset and correct her behavior.

I would start with boundaries. I would tell my mother flat-out that she has absolutely no business talking about me to my husband behind my back, and it is NOT OKAY. Then I would tell my husband that he has absolutely no business talking about me to my mother behind my back, and it is NOT OKAY.

Then I would get counseling to help me sort out what's truly important in life (not a video game), and help me learn how to communicate (not by text).

I would also posit that at some point, OP, you will have to minimize contact with your family, and yes, maybe even separate from your husband. You cannot and should not try to change all of them into more positive-thinking people. That's not your responsibility. You can only change yourself. However, if you are constantly surrounded by people who are negative and make a point of tearing you down, it's going to be very difficult for you to break your own patterns.

Old 06-04-2015, 01:41 PM

15,252 posts, read 12,967,886 times
What Lilac110 said...if the OP comes back and wants relationship advice.

Last night she was looking for some encouragement to help with her interview. I hope she aced it. A new job, maybe the start of a new life.

Old 06-04-2015, 01:43 PM

708 posts, read 721,638 times
Hope she comes back and tells us if she got the job or not...

Old 06-04-2015, 01:48 PM

12,585 posts, read 16,955,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShinyHappyLucy View Post
If you really do complain a lot, I can see why he would be annoyed. That's a lot of negativity. I personally can't stand to be around incessant complainers.
Right!!!

Old 06-04-2015, 01:57 PM

2,618 posts, read 6,163,797 times
I have to know one thing....

WHAT WAS THE VIDEO GAME HE PLAYS?

Old 06-04-2015, 02:01 PM

3,138 posts, read 2,780,811 times
Why are you getting into arguments with your husband via text?

And then consider asking him, via text, for support?

Am I the only one bothered by this?

Sounds like direct communication is one of many underlying problems.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships