Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2015, 03:52 PM

123 posts, read 103,906 times

Advertisements

Ok, I'll try not to embarrass myself by admitting I watched a chick show but maybe I've already done it

So I was on Amazon Prime to watch something while this monsoon blows through and noticed they loaded six seasons of Sex & The City. Intrigued, I watched a few episodes and admit it was entertaining to get the female perspective on dating and sex. Question is, how authentic is it? True to form, pure Hollywood, or a mixture of the two? Who do you relate to and why?

I'm sure to be blasted by the guys but what the hell, the good football games don't come on til later tonight. Besides, if it's deemed as generally authentic from the ladies then it's the same as asking their opinion about their perspective in the open forum. Nothing serious here, just a general question about if the show depicts their views adequately.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2015, 03:53 PM

49,927 posts, read 60,015,385 times
I think it is a fictional account of fictional women who lived in a very specific place during a specific time MANY years ago. The women are generalized stereotypes.

It's not exactly relevant now. They did not even have cell phones then.

Old 10-03-2015, 03:57 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,190,542 times
I think it's a mixed bag - and probably more true for people in that area. I could relate to them - probably Carrie and Charlotte the most. I think a lot of things were exaggerated for the sake of making it interesting - as almost everything is - but there were a lot of things that my friends and I identified with. Of course, I lived in NYC so that is probably part of it.

Old 10-03-2015, 04:03 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,904,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
I think it is a fictional account of fictional women who lived in a very specific place during a specific time MANY years ago. The women are generalized stereotypes.

It's not exactly relevant now. They did not even have cell phones then.
Yes they did.

It's somewhat real and fictional.

It protrayed the hottest guy to be impotent and a mama boy and the bald lawyer to be the nicest guy.

Most men and women don't know what they want diplicted by all the characters.

Cheating, marriage,being jilted at the alter, friends of gays and their relationships,love, being broke to having it all but real love.

Old 10-03-2015, 04:04 PM

49,927 posts, read 60,015,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raena77 View Post
Yes they did.

It's somewhat real and fictional.

It protrayed the hottest guy to be impotent and a mama boy and the bald lawyer to be the nicest guy.

Most men and women don't know what they want diplicted by all the characters.

Cheating, marriage,being jilted at the alter, friends of gays and their relationships,love, being broke to having it all but real love.
Flip phones.

Old 10-03-2015, 04:05 PM

50,390 posts, read 64,083,206 times
It is a total female fantasy show. I watched it then, I watch it now. It has nothing to do with my life, past or present, so it is like reading a good beach novel.
The episode where Carrie falls asleep waiting for Baryshnikov to pick her up for dinner in Paris in that breathtaking dress, still makes me cry.

Aside from that, the episode where the girls are having brunch and one decides she's a lesbian, and Charlotte tells Carrie that she didn't have sex on her honeymoon....come on, that's funny.

Old 10-03-2015, 04:06 PM

6,319 posts, read 7,250,312 times
No its not representative, at all.

Watch Broad City.

That's a bit closer to the mark.

Old 10-03-2015, 04:06 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,190,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
Flip phones.
I still think it's relevant today. At the heart of the show, it's really about lasting friendships.

Old 10-03-2015, 04:09 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,913,403 times
I liked this show a lot. It represented that life I thought I'd have as a hip urban professional. My mom likened it to Golden Girls.

Was it real? Not totally for me, other than the dining part. . My friends and I were inspired to have girls night at cool restaurants and the like. I was a Charlotte spriknled with Miranda and Carrie. But mostly Charlotte. My friends are a bit more sexually conservative.

We had a good chat about it. As it came on as I was just entering into adulthood, one of my friends worried that our 20s would be full of one night stands, and we aren't like that. Some of it was a little scary, but what I liked most was the enduring frienships across many life phases.

Old 10-03-2015, 04:11 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,904,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
It is a total female fantasy show. I watched it then, I watch it now. It has nothing to do with my life, past or present, so it is like reading a good beach novel.
The episode where Carrie falls asleep waiting for Baryshnikov to pick her up for dinner in Paris in that breathtaking dress, still makes me cry.

Aside from that, the episode where the girls are having brunch and one decides she's a lesbian, and Charlotte tells Carrie that she didn't have sex on her honeymoon....come on, that's funny.
It is funny.
Best part is when Charlotte cut pictures of herself on the nudy magizines Trey was getting off too.

Oh and when Harry showed Charlotte the tacky apartment and he had the hots for her.

And Samantha made the huge poster of her boyfriend with him naked and the bottle at his crotch.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships