Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-09-2015, 07:35 PM

102,235 posts, read 108,093,971 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by XFlowersX View Post
Because I'm a 31F though with no kids, I think people believe something is wrong with me since I'm single with no kids (let's face it, there's a stigma for women past 30 with no kids).
No, there isn't. Unless, maybe, you live in a much more traditional part of the US, like the South or the Midwest. Being single with no kids at 30 is normal in some parts of the US.

Old 12-09-2015, 07:38 PM

2,704 posts, read 1,833,486 times
Quote:
I'm a 31F and I think that's part of the issue for me too. I don't want to date a guy with kids. I would never say never (been there done that), but I probably wouldn't do it again. Many guys with kids don't want anymore, the ex will ALWAYS be involved, and things could be problematic if we have kids in the future.

Because I'm a 31F though with no kids, I think people believe something is wrong with me since I'm single with no kids (let's face it, there's a stigma for women past 30 with no kids).
You really think so? I'm surprised by your comment. Most young women that I know, like my daughter and her peer group, are not even THINKING about children until after they reach 30. I am not even allowed to bring up the subject of grandchildren to either of my kids and my oldest is 31. LOL.

I had my children in my 20s but I was considered a young mother by my family's standards and by my friend's standards. My siblings and friends did not have children until they were in their 30s and that was more than 20 years ago.

I always thought that for a single women, having a firm, pink, unused uterus was the crim dela crim and worth its weight in gold!

Old 12-09-2015, 07:41 PM

121 posts, read 102,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
No, there isn't. Unless, maybe, you live in a much more traditional part of the US, like the South or the Midwest. Being single with no kids at 30 is normal in some parts of the US.

I live in a major city. Most of my female coworkers that are in their late 20/s early 30s are married.

Old 12-09-2015, 07:44 PM

102,235 posts, read 108,093,971 times
Quote:
I live in a major city. Most of my female coworkers that are in their late 20/s early 30s are married.
None of my female coworkers or friends were married in their 20's or early 30's. Some still aren't, in their 40's or at 50. No stigma. They enjoy life. But what about your situation, do you think your coworkers are thinking you're some kind of failure or that there's something wrong with you because you're single? Do they even care?

Old 12-09-2015, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
None of my female coworkers or friends were married in their 20's or early 30's. Some still aren't, in their 40's or at 50. No stigma. They enjoy life. But what about your situation, do you think your coworkers are thinking you're some kind of failure or that there's something wrong with you because you're single? Do they even care?

That's funny. Looks like our experiences are different. It happens. I don't really give a sh*! about what they think. I think you are looking into what I said too much. My personal opinion is that the stigma still exists. It's great that you don't think so.

Old 12-09-2015, 08:01 PM

7,400 posts, read 6,377,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Butterflyfish View Post
You really think so? I'm surprised by your comment. Most young women that I know, like my daughter and her peer group, are not even THINKING about children until after they reach 30. I am not even allowed to bring up the subject of grandchildren to either of my kids and my oldest is 31. LOL.

I had my children in my 20s but I was considered a young mother by my family's standards and by my friend's standards. My siblings and friends did not have children until they were in their 30s and that was more than 20 years ago.

I always thought that for a single women, having a firm, pink, unused uterus was the crim dela crim and worth its weight in gold!
Do you mean baby hallway? Is there something special about an unused uterus I don't know about?

Old 12-09-2015, 08:35 PM

41,936 posts, read 37,016,353 times
Quote:

It's unusual where I live for someone as young as 30 to already have kids. I only had a single friend (met her in Wisconsin) that actually even had a child pre 30. I'm not sure I met anyone at work or socially in Boston that had kids that young. If anything, there is a stigma against women that have had kids as kids/super young adults... it tends to be lower class/less educated people that do.

Old 12-09-2015, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
It's unusual where I live for someone as young as 30 to already have kids. I only had a single friend (met her in Wisconsin) that actually even had a child pre 30. I'm not sure I met anyone at work or socially in Boston that had kids that young.

Most of my late 20/early 30s coworkers are married but not parents yet.

Old 12-09-2015, 09:14 PM

1,481 posts, read 1,227,304 times
Quote:
This must be location dependent. The last time I heard of such stigma was 15+ years ago. Most people are too busy with their own lives to care about what you're doing with your uterus.

Old 12-09-2015, 09:39 PM

20,160 posts, read 12,782,249 times
Quote:
No, no, no. All my nieces live in a city, like London and Houston. They were not married until they finished with their graduate school, one is a doctor and one is a lawyer. It's not unusual to be in your early 30s without kids.
I don't think it's a stigma not to have kids. I'm beginning to think some women build an artificial bars or fences in their head, this is 21st century. Women have careers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships