Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2016, 12:36 AM

4,751 posts, read 5,458,846 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ro2113 View Post
Yes, even still a majority in this case is far fetched. The same area and yet there is a difference in the writing ability between the majority of men and women from that region? I'm sorry but that's hard to believe.
Then you've never lived in Southern Illinois.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2016, 05:22 AM

6,612 posts, read 3,693,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hivemind31 View Post
Meaning, I'd love to live in a world where profiles like that were outliers worth making mention of. However, when browsing women's profiles, I see content like that constantly. I wouldn't be surprised if the same was true of men's profiles, but people seemed to be treating it like it was a special/unique case. If that's true, then I'm absolutely jealous.

So is it appropriate? No, but I'm sure guy who made the profile has no idea. But is it normal? Absolutely...at least on women's profiles. I'd assumed that the case is the same for a ton of men's profiles, but the excitement over that one in particular implies otherwise.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonBeam33 View Post
Dude. Not sure why you're being obtuse, because the point I am making is very clear. Yes, there are stupid profiles everywhere. The one I posted is by far the worst profile I have ever seen. It does not compare to profiles that may only contain one or two sentences, or a handful of misspelled words. The profile I posted had more misspelled words than not, and the writer seemed to have never learned to write a complete sentence.

I am AMAZED that the person who wrote the profile I posted knew how to turn on a computer. Do you get what I'm saying now?
I get it.

There were four posts like that, dwelling upon the amazement of others' reactions to the odd profile, since it is "just so commonplace", besides stressing how women "commonly write profiles such as this", too. I get Moon's point in posting an example of such. Poster's having excitement over? No, just shock that an adult is capable of something like this and since "Moon" is familiar with these sites, knows how much worse it is.

It has to be realized too, that some are not looking at OLD sites now and viewing profiles. However, back when I did view men's profiles, I recall that typically they were not well-written or expressive, with little content, considering those attempting to meet others in this way.

Old 02-23-2016, 06:13 AM

4,613 posts, read 4,808,947 times
Quote:
Dude. Not sure why you're being obtuse, because the point I am making is very clear. Yes, there are stupid profiles everywhere. The one I posted is by far the worst profile I have ever seen. It does not compare to profiles that may only contain one or two sentences, or a handful of misspelled words. The profile I posted had more misspelled words than not, and the writer seemed to have never learned to write a complete sentence.

No, I am not amazed by profiles like "Just here to get laid" or "Looking for a lady down for a good time." Not anymore. At least those people are being honest, and I can avoid them. Nor am I amazed by profiles that have statements like "Regular nice guy looking for girl" et al.

I am AMAZED that the person who wrote the profile I posted knew how to turn on a computer. Do you get what I'm saying now?
Speaking of which, you don't seem to be getting MY point. Yours is obvious, you just don't like mine: that if THAT is the worst profile you've ever seen, you're quite fortunate. You'll note I never said anything regarding the underlined...that's you drawing a conclusion that I never made.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ro2113 View Post
I'm calling shenanigans. This sound suspect if you're only looking at the profiles from the people in your locale.

I mean really, all of the women in the area are highly intelligent? All of the men are slack jawed yokels? Yeah right.
Some people see what they want to see. Like I said, I'm sure the guy's profiles are just as bad. But some people around here are acting like they've never seen a bad profile before.

Old 02-23-2016, 06:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by In2itive_1 View Post
I get it.

There were four posts like that, dwelling upon the amazement of others' reactions to the odd profile, since it is "just so commonplace", besides stressing how women "commonly write profiles such as this", too. .
Actually, you'll note that I highlighted both genders:

Quote:
I wouldn't be surprised if the same was true of men's profiles, but people seemed to be treating it like it was a special/unique case.
Quote:
I, however, see them plenty (on both genders profiles)
It was someone ELSE who insisted that one gender had particularly well crafted profiles and that the other was filled with rubbish.

Quote:
I have. Ro is correct.

Old 02-23-2016, 07:49 AM

41,936 posts, read 37,109,587 times
Quote:

Nope, but I did live in Southern Indiana, near Evansville. And holy crud the people there were trainwrecks. One in every 50 female profiles had a complete sentence.

There are plenty of bad profiles around. Sadly, some of my female friends who are well educated and very intelligent have spartan (which is different than poorly written) profiles, and they believe men don't read them anyway so why bother.

Old 02-23-2016, 08:27 PM

4,751 posts, read 5,458,846 times
Quote:
Speaking of which, you don't seem to be getting MY point. Yours is obvious, you just don't like mine: that if THAT is the worst profile you've ever seen, you're quite fortunate. You'll note I never said anything regarding the underlined...that's you drawing a conclusion that I never made.

Some people see what they want to see. Like I said, I'm sure the guy's profiles are just as bad. But some people around here are acting like they've never seen a bad profile before.
Which means you're not looking at men's profiles, so you have no basis of comparison.

I don't know why I even freaking bother, but I'll say it one more time: In my experience, where I live the majority of men's profiles completely lack substance or are just poorly written, but the one I chose to share is the worst profile I have ever seen.

If you live someplace where so many women's profiles indicate that they are apparently illiterate, I would suggest you give up online dating or move.

Old 02-26-2016, 06:35 AM

Quote:
Which means you're not looking at men's profiles, so you have no basis of comparison.

I don't know why I even freaking bother, but I'll say it one more time: In my experience, where I live the majority of men's profiles completely lack substance or are just poorly written, but the one I chose to share is the worst profile I have ever seen.

If you live someplace where so many women's profiles indicate that they are apparently illiterate, I would suggest you give up online dating or move.
Except you'll note that I wasn't the one making the comparison...you were. Unlike you, I never suggested that one gender's type of profiles were of high quality by comparison.

Quote:
Well then that's a shame for you, because I look at both men's and women's profiles and the women's are overwhelmingly thoughtful, well written, and grammatically correct. Men's are overwhelmingly short, simplistic, full of errors, and say nothing of substance about the author (although sometimes there isn't much of substance to share ).

I'm guessing it's a regional difference. Here in the midwest I am surrounded by rednecks, drug users, and college students who are far too young for me. It's a nightmare.
So perhaps you should take your own advice if OLD is so terrible in your area. In addition, perhaps I've mistakenly given you the impression that I'm reliant on OLD for dates. But simply put, it is far more likely that "people just have bad profiles" than any sort of regional or gender-specific correlation that you seem so desperate to find.

Old 02-26-2016, 12:04 PM

971 posts, read 692,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Setchel View Post
Imagine this scenario. You're a single man in your late 20's with everything women state they want in a man. You have this crazy idea that a woman out there who is sane and doesn't have serious issues or baggage would be interested in you. But you don't care for the bar scene and have no other clear way of meeting women in person. So you go online and sign up for a couple of dating sites, expecting some chatting, flirting, and hopefully finding "the one."

And that's where it all comes apart.

First off, I don't believe I'm a picky man. I have a short list of what I expect from a woman who I'd date. No kids, no crazy ex that's in prison for murder charges, not a sagging blueberry shape, doesn't think Harry Potter is the greatest book series ever written (Seriously. You can't say you love reading and think that's the epitome of writing). So when I dove into online dating after a very long relationship ended, I thought it'd be simple.

A month in and I did have several contacts. Frankly none of the women were particularly attractive and virtually all were at least obese. But I was open minded and got to know a couple of them. A first date seems to always go well. A second and third is when it all comes out. I won't detail some of the things I found out on these second/third dates, but I think most sane men would jump ship after like I did. So I won't say women aren't there to contact you, but you start to build up an idea that there's a reason they're single. And sometimes a woman who seemed to be normal would get in touch and you'd have a great conversation. Only for her to suddenly go silent the next day and never hear from her again.

Not long after that initial count, contact dries up. I must have messaged something around 100 women or more in my year of OLD, and a tiny sliver of those ever replied. You eventually start to reflect on this. Am I unattractive? Is there something in my profile that is an issue? Do I just not make enough (and would I want to be with a woman that expects more)? And you start to check out sites that give tips on how to help you out. Most are pretty clear that they're there to get you into "hookups" (just tell her she's sexy, you're horny, and you wanna do her. It works, or so I hear). The rest all feel like you're playing this word jumble game and using "science" to figure out the best type of pictures, and in what order, you should post.

So now you're not only sitting there with no clue why you aren't getting any replies or messages, but it's sounding more and more like this game of fraud. This isn't you. This isn't who you are. Playing the pickup game isn't what you're after and if you were, you'd have settled on bar hoppers already. Depression kicks in. Something is wrong with you. You get self-destructive in your concerns.

But you stumble across something in your research. Someone states rather boldly that men outnumber women on dating sites dramatically. No figures are given, but for a moment you feel better. Then far worse. You're competing against all these other men for the attention of a handful of women. Women who probably long since wrote off all of you anyway because of provocative pics and "sup baby" messages filling their inbox. I still remember one woman I went out with telling me she gets few messages on the site we met on. "How many is a few?" I asked her. "2 or 3 a day." That was more in one day than I got my second month of OLD.

After a few months, as a man you have really three scenarios. You're an extreme outlier and get messaged by women frequently (odds are you're extremely attractive or a very high income posted then). You still cling to hope and message several women each time you log on, hoping one of them at some point will reply. Or you just log in, note the complete lack of messages as usual, and move on, not really caring anymore.

In my case I was hit by serious depression months ago and realized it came down to OLD. I felt worthless and disgusting because, as far as I could tell, women didn't want me. The fact that I am educated, intelligent, take care of my health, have a range of hobbies and talents, and am at least above average in looks meant nothing. I don't mean to toot my own horn or anything, but I have everything going right for me. Except finding a woman. Yet there's this mystery left for WHY. And more so, why a guy that's a high school drop out, borderline retarded, drug addict, no ambition, and looking like he hasn't showered in years hasn't been single longer than a month. I deleted my OLD accounts and have no intention of ever joining one again.

I'm not looking for a pity party. Really I'm posting this for two audiences. Women, this is the battle that many men face in OLD and take it however you will. But for other men who are doing OLD and feel like **** because you're getting nothing from it, you're not alone. And my personal advice is to cut those ties and move on. There's nothing it can do other than drag you down into the abyss. I started to stumble into it all again by chatting with a couple of women on an app and the pattern came up again along with the dread. And it reminded me that this sort of thing needs to be said so you guys know that it's the system, not you. Well, not most of you anyway.
As far as I am concerned, OLD is a womans dream and a mans nightmare. I tried it. Sparing the details much like you even after weeding out what I thought/knew were the kooks, I went on a about a dozen dates. Of those dozen, only one went anywhere and it didn't turn out well. But I did learn something from her.
She was a looker and from all outward appearances was a guys "dream girl so to speak. Very pretty, fun to be with, supposedly loved sex, good job, no baggage etc. But, turned out to be bipolar with a drinking problem. It was worth going out with her to find out that she was getting 10-20 responses a day on match and she was juggling a half a dozen guys at any one time trying to find Mr Right, but was having "fun" while doing it.
On the other hand I got one or two responses a week and nothing promising for the most part. I think OLD is a huge waste of time. If you are looking for sex, stay sober and hit the bar after 11pm and find yourself a one night stand. If you are looking for a relationship, my favorite pickup place is the grocery store. Just my two cents.

Old 02-26-2016, 12:09 PM

2,037 posts, read 2,997,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearsdad View Post
As far as I am concerned, OLD is a womans dream and a mans nightmare. I tried it. Sparing the details much like you even after weeding out what I thought/knew were the kooks, I went on a about a dozen dates. Of those dozen, only one went anywhere and it didn't turn out well. But I did learn something from her.
She was a looker and from all outward appearances was a guys "dream girl so to speak. Very pretty, fun to be with, supposedly loved sex, good job, no baggage etc. But, turned out to be bipolar with a drinking problem. It was worth going out with her to find out that she was getting 10-20 responses a day on match and she was juggling a half a dozen guys at any one time trying to find Mr Right, but was having "fun" while doing it.
On the other hand I got one or two responses a week and nothing promising for the most part. I think OLD is a huge waste of time. If you are looking for sex, stay sober and hit the bar after 11pm and find yourself a one night stand. If you are looking for a relationship, my favorite pickup place is the grocery store. Just my two cents.
OLD is a joke.....if someone appears to be decent on there then you know they are damaged goods.

An above average woman on there gets 20 to 30 messages a day...maybe more...

a lof of ppl are downright crazy in OLD!

Old 02-26-2016, 12:14 PM

41,936 posts, read 37,109,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearsdad View Post
I think OLD is a huge waste of time. If you are looking for sex, stay sober and hit the bar after 11pm and find yourself a one night stand. If you are looking for a relationship, my favorite pickup place is the grocery store. Just my two cents.

Yeah, never did the bar hookup thing (happened a handful of times for me in 25 years or so) and I can't imagine meeting someone at a grocery store. You're in there 10-15 minutes with tunnel vision, kids, banging carts, trying to get through, etc... picturing that as a social place is mind boggling to me.

Loving OLD again, the problem is time, met several potentials and just trying to fit everyone in that I'd like to meet. It's a gold mine for dudes. Especially average (or below) schmucks like me that wouldn't get the time of day for the most part in the world at large.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships