Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2016, 02:53 PM

4,613 posts, read 4,800,999 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonBeam33 View Post
Well then that's a shame for you, because I look at both men's and women's profiles and the women's are overwhelmingly thoughtful, well written, and grammatically correct. Men's are overwhelmingly short, simplistic, full of errors, and say nothing of substance about the author (although sometimes there isn't much of substance to share ).

I'm guessing it's a regional difference. Here in the midwest I am surrounded by rednecks, drug users, and college students who are far too young for me. It's a nightmare.
I think people are far too willing to excuse differences in experience to "regional differences" (and I'm in the midwest as well, for what it's worth). Certainly, it makes some differences, but not in this case. I've lived in a LOT of places.

But if the men's profiles are as bad as you're saying they are, then profiles like the one posted earlier are not, in fact, worth mentioning....because they're so common. Yet, many people were quick to highlight how bad it was, which means they're accustomed to seeing better ones. This is the point I was getting at: It would be a waste for me to come on and highlight how bad a woman's profile is because I could easily find hundreds more just like it.

I wouldn't call it the majority (I'd suggest that the majority of profiles are at least coherent), but certainly common enough where it would be ridiculous to pick one in particular to point out how bad it was. It's not uniquely bad in any way, and I'm envious of anybody who feels otherwise, because they're being exposed to more quality profiles than I am.

Edit: Note that in a previous post, I mentioned how people were treating the posted profile like a special or unique case (including you), but then you follow up by talking about how bad the average man's profile is. I'd think that if they were all so bad, it would be routine to see profiles like the posted on, no different than seeing a telephone pole on the way to work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2016, 03:23 PM

4,751 posts, read 5,447,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hivemind31 View Post
I think people are far too willing to excuse differences in experience to "regional differences" (and I'm in the midwest as well, for what it's worth). Certainly, it makes some differences, but not in this case. I've lived in a LOT of places.

But if the men's profiles are as bad as you're saying they are, then profiles like the one posted earlier are not, in fact, worth mentioning....because they're so common. Yet, many people were quick to highlight how bad it was, which means they're accustomed to seeing better ones. This is the point I was getting at: It would be a waste for me to come on and highlight how bad a woman's profile is because I could easily find hundreds more just like it.

I wouldn't call it the majority (I'd suggest that the majority of profiles are at least coherent), but certainly common enough where it would be ridiculous to pick one in particular to point out how bad it was. It's not uniquely bad in any way, and I'm envious of anybody who feels otherwise, because they're being exposed to more quality profiles than I am.

Edit: Note that in a previous post, I mentioned how people were treating the posted profile like a special or unique case (including you), but then you follow up by talking about how bad the average man's profile is. I'd think that if they were all so bad, it would be routine to see profiles like the posted on, no different than seeing a telephone pole on the way to work.
What I'm saying is there's a difference between a profile that says "I like to hunt, fish, and have a good time" and "Hurr durr hurr durr durr."

And yes, I guarantee you my dating experience in San Diego would be wildly different from my dating experiences in Redneckistan.

Old 02-22-2016, 06:17 PM

4,896 posts, read 14,152,767 times
Wow ~ I actually read through this whole thread ~ can't understand why someone in their 20's with no ties/commitments would even need to be using an OLD site ~ get out of the house & go see a band, church/synagogue ~ my gosh ~ FB even ~ at least you might meet someone who your friends know & therefore much more tangible ... if you're looking for looks/money ~ most of that is paid for and not with sites like POF or match ~ think real matchmakers that cost ~ those are what the executives/business owners who don't have time to be out clubbing use because they're busing growing their money tree...

In real life ~ all it takes is one smile returned from someone who catches your eye ~ step away from the computer!!!

Old 02-22-2016, 06:31 PM

4,613 posts, read 4,800,999 times
Quote:
What I'm saying is there's a difference between a profile that says "I like to hunt, fish, and have a good time" and "Hurr durr hurr durr durr."

And yes, I guarantee you my dating experience in San Diego would be wildly different from my dating experiences in Redneckistan.
Well, you hadn't said that yet....that's an obvious point, but not one you were making with posts like this:

Quote:
This guy shouldn't even be allowed near a computer, much less the chance to reproduce.
Quote:
Men's are overwhelmingly short, simplistic, full of errors, and say nothing of substance about the author (although sometimes there isn't much of substance to share ).
All those posts say is, "wow, that guy's profile is stupid" (which it is). But it also says that if a profile like that amazes you, you must not see them very often. I, however, see them plenty (on both genders profiles), so I'm a little jealous of you. I can find just as many in San Diego. Stupidity is not localized.

Old 02-22-2016, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Well, you hadn't said that yet....that's an obvious point, but not one you were making with posts like this:

I only mentioned San Diego because you brought up "regionalisms" as though everywhere is the same, especially in the midwest. Where you are - Cleveland, according to you profile- is, I guarantee, WILDLY different from where I am, in Southern Illinois. Maybe we both see stupid profiles, but they are probably each a whole different kind of stupid when comparing my area to yours.

All those posts say is, "wow, that guy's profile is stupid" (which it is). But it also says that if a profile like that amazes you, you must not see them very often. I, however, see them plenty (on both genders profiles), so I'm a little jealous of you. I can find just as many in San Diego. Stupidity is not localized.
Dude. Not sure why you're being obtuse, because the point I am making is very clear. Yes, there are stupid profiles everywhere. The one I posted is by far the worst profile I have ever seen. It does not compare to profiles that may only contain one or two sentences, or a handful of misspelled words. The profile I posted had more misspelled words than not, and the writer seemed to have never learned to write a complete sentence.

No, I am not amazed by profiles like "Just here to get laid" or "Looking for a lady down for a good time." Not anymore. At least those people are being honest, and I can avoid them. Nor am I amazed by profiles that have statements like "Regular nice guy looking for girl" et al.

I am AMAZED that the person who wrote the profile I posted knew how to turn on a computer. Do you get what I'm saying now?

Old 02-22-2016, 10:02 PM

7,400 posts, read 6,379,362 times
Quote:
If women are genuinely amazed by profiles like this, then I'm envious.
I only came across profiles like this, as bad as this, if I were to not use any filters, or browsed "who is on right now?" for ****s and giggles. But in my search results? Absolutely not. *faint* I think PoF wins at awful profiles, but then its whole vibe and layout contributes to that, too.

I would say that matches in the 80s+ on OKC had pretty decent profiles. There were some common denominators the higher it got: educated, progressive, creative, intelligent, and intellectually-inclined. I would say 95% of these higher matches identified as either agnostic or atheist.

Old 02-22-2016, 11:04 PM

8,011 posts, read 8,221,116 times
Quote:
Well then that's a shame for you, because I look at both men's and women's profiles and the women's are overwhelmingly thoughtful, well written, and grammatically correct. Men's are overwhelmingly short, simplistic, full of errors, and say nothing of substance about the author (although sometimes there isn't much of substance to share ).

I'm guessing it's a regional difference. Here in the midwest I am surrounded by rednecks, drug users, and college students who are far too young for me. It's a nightmare.
I'm calling shenanigans. This sound suspect if you're only looking at the profiles from the people in your locale.

I mean really, all of the women in the area are highly intelligent? All of the men are slack jawed yokels? Yeah right.

Old 02-22-2016, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladywithafan View Post
Wow ~ I actually read through this whole thread ~ can't understand why someone in their 20's with no ties/commitments would even need to be using an OLD site ~ get out of the house & go see a band, church/synagogue ~ my gosh ~ FB even ~ at least you might meet someone who your friends know & therefore much more tangible ... if you're looking for looks/money ~ most of that is paid for and not with sites like POF or match ~ think real matchmakers that cost ~ those are what the executives/business owners who don't have time to be out clubbing use because they're busing growing their money tree...

In real life ~ all it takes is one smile returned from someone who catches your eye ~ step away from the computer!!!
You really don't know much of anything do you? What if I told you that many people use online dating to supplement their real world efforts?

Why do so many people on these forums only think in black and white?

Old 02-22-2016, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ro2113 View Post
I'm calling shenanigans. This sound suspect if you're only looking at the profiles from the people in your locale.

I mean really, all of the women in the area are highly intelligent? All of the men are slack jawed yokels? Yeah right.
Read what I read again. How exactly does "short" and "simplistic" imply slack jawed yokel?

You do know that my use of "overwhelmingly" means "majority," right? Majority, not ALL.

Old 02-22-2016, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Read what I read again. How exactly does "short" and "simplistic" imply slack jawed yokel?

You do know that my use of "overwhelmingly" means "majority," right? Majority, not ALL.
Yes, even still a majority in this case is far fetched. The same area and yet there is a difference in the writing ability between the majority of men and women from that region? I'm sorry but that's hard to believe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships