Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-24-2016, 08:04 AM

41,936 posts, read 37,123,429 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridarebel View Post
If you're an able adult making a reasonable salary, then there are no reasons to be living with your parents or even roommates.

This is true, in Florida.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2016, 09:17 AM

4,944 posts, read 2,955,486 times
Quote:
If you're an able adult making a reasonable salary, then there are no reasons to be living with your parents or even roommates.
Why if your contributing to the household and working who are you to say where a person can live. Only narrow minded americans think this way for all of human history families lived together. Now for some reason in the past 50 years its not ok.

Old 02-24-2016, 09:54 AM

1,881 posts, read 1,489,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Detguest View Post
If they were actually talented in a meaningful way, they'd be paid, and paid well. That's how reality actually works.
Actually, no, that's not how reality works. As a freelance writer and the daughter of an artist, I can promise you that. It takes more than talent at your art. It takes talent at finding and creating opportunities, and it takes talent at marketing and sales. That's business, and many creatives don't have a head for business. I know very few writers who like or have any knack for marketing and sales unless they are business writers or in advertising. Journalists, fiction writers, and poets tend to struggle with it. I struggle with it myself. The money is there to be made. It's finding it and pitching for it that's the challenge. It's like that in many creative fields, from fiction-writing to acting to music. That's why there are agents who market creatives' talents and products, and that's why there are attorneys who read the contracts creatives sign. I warn anyone getting into any kind of creative field who wants to work independently that they are really entering two fields: their art and business, and unless they have the resources to pay others to take care of the business side, the business side will take up about 2/5 of their time.

Old 02-24-2016, 09:56 AM

41,936 posts, read 37,123,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasperJade View Post
Actually, no, that's not how reality works. As a freelance writer and the daughter of an artist, I can promise you that. It takes more than talent at your art. It takes talent at finding and creating opportunities, and it takes talent at marketing and sales. That's business, and many creatives don't have a head for business. I know very few writers who like or have any knack for marketing and sales unless they are business writers or in advertising. Journalists, fiction writers, and poets tend to struggle with it. I struggle with it myself. The money is there to be made. It's finding it and pitching for it that's the challenge. That's why there are agents who market creatives' talents and products, and that's why there are attorneys who read the contracts creatives sign. I warn anyone getting into any kind of creative field who wants to work independently that they are really entering two fields: their art and business, and business will take up about 2/5 of their time.

Very true, and there are many subpar artists that aren't great at their craft, but are excellent at self promoting and do well financially (maybe not many, but they're out there). That doesn't mean they're talented artists. Its a different field altogether.

Old 02-24-2016, 10:16 AM

854 posts, read 588,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neutrino78x View Post
lol this thread is definitely not relevant in some parts of the country.

Here in Silicon Valley, the median income is 100k USD. (Google pays someone who just graduated from San Jose State University with a BS in Computer Science a salary of approximately 100k, they say.)

That sounds like a lot until you hear that the median home price is ONE MILLION DOLLARS.

(now, that is defining "home" as "single family home", where the home owner is buying the land underneath the building, as opposed to a condo inside of a building containing other condos. But those aren't cheap either.)

A one bedroom apartment to yourself is 1300/month or more. 2000/month is more realistic.

So 35 and not having your own place is frowned upon? Highly doubtful. There are people who make 100k here who live with roommates (in fact, most singles who make 100k are probably living with roommates).

Now out in the middle of nowhere, a small town in north Texas or Appalachia, then yeah, it might make sense to say if you're 35 and live with roommates, there might be an issue. In a big city like San Jose, New York, London, etc., no, that makes no sense.

OK, so 2 earners together have a median annual salary of 200k. Here in Toronto the median income is $32,670, and the average home is.... 1 million dollars.

Again, roommates are fine. Anyone not understanding regional differences is a retard.

Old 02-24-2016, 11:18 AM

2,209 posts, read 2,331,226 times
Quote:
Generalization of the year.

Old 02-24-2016, 01:20 PM

24,575 posts, read 18,420,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antiwmaf View Post
NO reasons? What about aging, ailing, etc. parents? Not everyone wants to shove them into a nursing home.
That's already been covered a number of times in this thread. You don't need to facepalm over it.

There is a short list that will typically be acceptable:

* The geriatric or infirm parent problem

* I just moved back from out-of-state and haven't rented/bought a place yet

* My ex-wife got the house. I'm creating the 20% down payment for my next house

* I'm living beyond the swimming pool and formal gardens in the carriage house above the Ferrari collection. My parents and Alfred the Butler have the rest of Wayne Manor. I hope the noise of the pounding surf on the beach doesn't keep you up.

Old 02-24-2016, 01:29 PM

888 posts, read 558,254 times
I think a man or woman who lives at home in their 30's would be an issue. Unless there is a good reason, like sick parent and they are helping, or something like that. But when I imagine this, I imagine someone who doesn't want to work and just wants a free ride.

Old 02-25-2016, 08:53 AM

Location: "Silicon Valley" (part of San Francisco Bay Area, California, USA)
4,375 posts, read 4,086,199 times
I'm with BornintheSprings. If you love them, it shouldn't matter what their living situation is. The only time it would be important is if they are depend on you for money etc. But then, a lot of people on here seem to think that a LTR is a financial agreement that they enter into in order to make more money. I guess in that case it would be important that the man in relationship has a high salary. But like I said, if that's your opinion then you shouldn't be upset about that web site "seeking arrangement" because it is the same thing. lol

In my area, I would probably want to be making more like 32k instead of the 15k I currently make before becoming involved in the type of relationship where people go to expensive dinners, buy gifts etc. I have a lot of financial and logistical barriers to getting involved right now. I lack the Craigslist trifecta: halfway decent job, car, ability to host. Although during those times when those barriers did not exist, there was still no one who reciprocated my feelings, so I know that's not the reason I have never had a girlfriend. Just the reason it is not a good idea to have one right now (though never having had a gf/ltr still makes me sad).

One can live with their parents and still have the Craiglist Trifecta, though. When you're in your 30s, your parents are starting to get older and it becomes more a case of you helping them out. Technically I *could* move back out (I lived elsewhere a couple years ago) with my current income, but then I couldn't send my dad money to help with his $1300/month rent anymore, and I would probably be sharing a room with somebody at the rent I can afford ($300/month). So it wouldn't really help me or him. Once I get a better job I will definitely move out again for a while. Then in the future he'll probably need me to come back. Right now he can walk around and take care of things for himself, and he tutors calculus so his mind is still sharp. But he's 72 already.

Old 02-25-2016, 09:05 AM

1,881 posts, read 1,489,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neutrino78x View Post
lol this thread is definitely not relevant in some parts of the country.

Here in Silicon Valley, the median income is 100k USD. (Google pays someone who just graduated from San Jose State University with a BS in Computer Science a salary of approximately 100k, they say.)

That sounds like a lot until you hear that the median home price is ONE MILLION DOLLARS.

(now, that is defining "home" as "single family home", where the home owner is buying the land underneath the building, as opposed to a condo inside of a building containing other condos. But those aren't cheap either.)

A one bedroom apartment to yourself is 1300/month or more. 2000/month is more realistic.
That's how my part of Virginia is. I'm right by a Metro, so I'm close to the higher end of that range, plus utilities. (And it's actually a steal to get 740 sq. ft. for less than $2,000 here, but my building was built in the mid-90s, which is considered "older" here, much to my amusement, coming from Long Island where "newer" is anything built in the last 30 years and "older" means WWII GI Bill exodus from Brooklyn.) You can get 1BRs on the lower end, but you won't be near a metro, and you might be in a garden apartment where you have to go to the basement or another building to do your laundry. I'd rather be near the Metro and not have to have a car, because driving and parking inside the Beltway is a PITA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships