Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2016, 09:46 AM

15,675 posts, read 11,523,736 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aliwalas View Post
I believe it's because you're a guy.

I'm 32 and am constantly asked about having kids. It's like every family gathering, if not my aunts, it'll be my younger cousins. My younger cousins had shot gun weddings, popped out babies at 20 and 22 and so now they feel like since the kids are having kids, I should be having some too.

I hear it at home, at church...it's everywhere! Sometimes I think it's just me (my culture). I'm Filipino. But my Russian co-worker who's 28 also complains about being asked about it a lot. Even this one lady I met for the first time, as the conversation got going, of course, baby question came about.

I think women who doesn't get nagged like this are very lucky lol.
It's not just women,

Most of my friends are older and are married, morgage, kids etc and they get on my back and nag " oh when are you gonna settle down and start a family " .

I know they mean well but it does wind me up a bit as apparently it's " the done thing ".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2016, 09:47 AM

7,400 posts, read 6,368,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akonyo View Post
Yikes. Creepy....and crazy (though unsurprising based on previous posts).
Hold up. We agree on something. *faint*

Old 02-09-2016, 09:51 AM

15,675 posts, read 11,523,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Never heard of it from parents or relatives either. My family never asks me about my dating/personal life, never has. They ask me about my job, travel, education, where I might buy a place, etc.
Same here

When ever I meet a new lady or am going out with one my mum usually makes a joke " well I hope this one settles you down a bit ", which is all in jest.

But I'm lucky and glad they don't get on my back about it.

Old 02-09-2016, 10:08 AM

854 posts, read 585,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metaphysique View Post
Yes! Glad I'm not the only one who felt this was... off.

And I nearly stopped at "breed."

Well I guess it's good then that it's not **your** relationship.

Old 02-09-2016, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Indeed. A lot of this reads very... clingy-honeymoon stage-do-all-the-doting-stuffs... for now at least. I don't describe my affectionate nature with my husband as "nurturing." I can nurture the relationship, yes, but am not "nurturing." We are very affectionate, cuddly... physical touch is our primary love language, and having kids hasn't changed that.

Nothing wrong with being child-free, but I think it's wise to examine the whys and whether it's due to wanting to "mother" one's partner -- kids would get in the way of this if one's partner is receiving this motherly nurturing. I don't find this particularly healthy unless this is a form of kink.

Do you find it equally necessary to examine the whys of having a kid?

Old 02-09-2016, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Londoncowboy30 View Post
It's not just women,

Most of my friends are older and are married, morgage, kids etc and they get on my back and nag " oh when are you gonna settle down and start a family " .

I know they mean well but it does wind me up a bit as apparently it's " the done thing ".

See, that's another thing. I do have a few friends in their late 30's, and all are childless, I wouldn't necessarily call them childfree.... I think most are open to the idea.

It'll be interesting to see how the landscape changes 10 years from now with my friends who are the same age as I am.

Old 02-09-2016, 10:20 AM

7,400 posts, read 6,368,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by torontocheeka View Post
Do you find it equally necessary to examine the whys of having a kid?
Absolutely. I think any major decision or plans that can affect the dynamic of one's life can greatly benefit from critical examination.

Old 02-09-2016, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Absolutely. I think any major decision or plans that can affect the dynamic of one's life can greatly benefit from critical examination.

I think one should always examine the reasons to HAVE a child, since that is the decision that affects another living being as well as impacts the planet.

The reasons I have seen (family legacy, wanting to have a little version of yourself to socialize, someone to look after you when you're old, because the government will give you money to do it, to make my mom stop nagging me, to add to the tax base and become cannon fodder for national wars, religious expectation, because of ethnocentricity, etc.) were not adequate reasons, to me, to burden another human being with all of the stresses, as well as small triumphs, that being brought into the world entails.

I also feel it's irresponsible for most people to have children unless you are well-off enough to ensure they have the best possible start in life since life is hard enough even in the best circumstances. I am in no way well-off.

If I don't have children, I harm no one. To me, that is the more responsible route to take. That's me though, if you can't relate in any way then I'm not really sure why you would feel the need to voice your input.

Last edited by torontocheeka; 02-09-2016 at 10:34 AM..

Old 02-09-2016, 10:25 AM

3,184 posts, read 4,846,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by torontocheeka View Post
I want to dote on my boyfriend every night.
Have I swallowed the Kool-Aid to think that all men secretly want to be fathers?
There's a joke in there somewhere.

Old 02-09-2016, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by garfunkle524 View Post
there's a joke in there somewhere.

lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships