Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2016, 02:25 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,261,857 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by torontocheeka View Post
But why do you think it's someone's responsibility to police their tone if they're talking about something they genuinely have a distaste for?

I mean, I hate raw tomatoes, so if I'm talking to my friends about raw tomatoes, they're not expecting me to say how "lovely" raw tomatoes are when in someone else's salad.
Quote:
Sorry? I said that the word was viewed as neutral by me. Could you please explain how you go from my asking how or why it's my responsibility to apologize a million times over for your interpretation of a word, to me saying that I deliberately offended you because I hate people who have kids?

Do you have a literacy issue I should be aware of?
I was referring to the first post I quoted.

I do not have a literacy issue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2016, 02:28 PM

7,400 posts, read 6,399,669 times
Quote:
I'm sorry you feel that way.

It seems like a neutral term to me,
lol for days. It is neutral in the same way the R word is neutral. It is meant as a slight against those who have or want to have children.

Quote:
maybe because childfree people generally don't mind using it, or hearing it.
Keyword: child-free. And likely because it's not a slight against child-free. Why would such a loaded term affect the child-free demographic when it isn't directed at them? Of course those who use the term do so freely, unaware of the message it sends, when it doesn't affect or isn't a slight against them.

Quote:
I will try and be conscious that mothers... may not feel the same way.
Yeah, you'll be hard-pressed to find a parent who relates to the term "breed."

Old 02-09-2016, 02:31 PM

854 posts, read 589,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdroplet76 View Post
I was referring to the first post I quoted.

I do not have a literacy issue.

I posted a thread title in terms I would use if talking to a friend. I did not sit there and nitpick every little word and detail because I didn't think anybody else would either. I expected actual advice.

My friends, I'm quite certain, would not have a problem with the use of the term. Even if they did, they probably wouldn't say anything because they would know that not being the biggest fan of childbearing myself, it just never occurred to me to be hypersensitive to referring to it in the most reverent terms possible.

No, I don't see the distinction with the raw tomato analogy. If I don't like something, I don't like it. I'm sorry if that came across in a harsh way to you, but again, it's not my responsibility to spend 5 whole pages apologizing to you repeatedly for the way you chose to interpret something.

Old 02-09-2016, 02:36 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,261,857 times
Quote:
I posted a thread title in terms I would use if talking to a friend. I did not sit there and nitpick every little word and detail because I didn't think anybody else would either. I expected actual advice.

My friends, I'm quite certain, would not have a problem with the use of the term. Even if they did, they probably wouldn't say anything because they would know that not being the biggest fan of childbearing myself, it just never occurred to me to be hypersensitive to referring to it in the most reverent terms possible.

No, I don't see the distinction with the raw tomato analogy. If I don't like something, I don't like it. I'm sorry if that came across in a harsh way to you, but again, it's not my responsibility to spend 5 whole pages apologizing to you repeatedly for the way you chose to interpret something.
Do you have me confused for someone else?

Anyway, like I said in my first (of very few) posts in this thread - I've never heard anyone say that someone needs to become a parent because they have a nurturing personality. But I also don't think that doting on a boyfriend is necessarily nurturing, to be honest. And lastly, I don't think that anyone should have children if they don't want to.

Old 02-09-2016, 02:37 PM

854 posts, read 589,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metaphysique View Post
Yeah, you'll be hard-pressed to find a parent who relates to the term "breed."

OK, and that may be reflective of the fact that I only have one friend who is a parent. So because no objection has ever been voiced when I've talked about not wanting kids among my friends who either feel the same way or know that they are unlikely to have children so don't have an opinion either way, to me and in my circle, it has always been a neutral term.

I've already stated that I am now aware that it may not be for actual mothers. I'm not sure what else you ladies want from me, blood?

Old 02-09-2016, 02:45 PM

37,808 posts, read 46,333,422 times
Quote:
I'm sorry you feel that way.

It seems like a neutral term to me, maybe because childfree people generally don't mind using it, or hearing it. I will try and be conscious that mothers... may not feel the same way.
A neutral term???? LOL!!!!

Old 02-09-2016, 02:53 PM

964 posts, read 1,000,610 times
Quote:
Right. And so when I see him 3 nights a week, that is what the other 4 nights are for. And of course we'll often hang out with groups of friends as well since we are both social people and our friends all get along and like us together.

I really don't see how not wanting a child in the middle of our home and private time together = no independent interests. But okay.
It was about the way you described how you wanted to give your bf all your attention, pamper him, etc. It wasn't clear whether you saw this as a way of life, or if this was the result of the thrill of being in a relationship, which is something that mellows out over time.

I don't see where you've responded to questions about whether your bf agrees with your preference to not have kids. Suddenly, it's hard to tell if you're here for advice, or if you joined in order to bicker with people. The thread is starting to sound like the latter case.

Old 02-09-2016, 03:00 PM

14,373 posts, read 18,459,192 times
I'm almost 40 and very nurturing. And I even love kids and my friends' kids get weirdly attached to me (still trying to figure that out). But I decided that kids of my own weren't really what I wanted in life. I grew up thinking I wanted to have a ton of children, but sometime in my 30s, I kind of realized that I was very happy with my life the way it is. But I also really like being single, so go figure.

I have very high standards for what I find to be acceptable parenting. Many of my friends raise their children according to those standards and they have amazing and lovely children. But it's a lot of work and I don't have a partner to help me raise a kid. And I'm certainly not going to settle for a subpar relationship in order to have a child (which is what my mother did).

I will also add that even though I am happy being single, the childless couples I have known have been among the happiest and most devoted to each other.

You do you.

Old 02-09-2016, 03:02 PM

5,573 posts, read 3,371,255 times
Quote:

Choosing to remain child free is 100% your choice. Being a parent is 100% my choice. I respect your choice. Your choice of words lent doubt as to whether you respect mine.

If you're not yet comprehending, you accidentally used a word that is the go to term used by people who are smug and dismissive toward people who have children. People whose claim that they are mistreated for their choice rings about as true as the claim that there's a "war on Christmas". Being unaware of "breeders" connotations rings about as true as being unaware that referring to human women as females is the go to word of men who aren't so nice.

If you didn't know it was a poor choice of words, you do now.

Old 02-09-2016, 03:03 PM

19,476 posts, read 15,363,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainHi View Post
It was about the way you described how you wanted to give your bf all your attention, pamper him, etc. It wasn't clear whether you saw this as a way of life, or if this was the result of the thrill of being in a relationship, which is something that mellows out over time.

I don't see where you've responded to questions about whether your bf agrees with your preference to not have kids. Suddenly, it's hard to tell if you're here for advice, or if you joined in order to bicker with people. The thread is starting to sound like the latter case.
So often it happens here that the profile name will set off my antennae, and then the way they describe their "dilemmas" they're asking for help with, and then, by the end of the thread, voila, the agenda is made known.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships