Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2016, 02:07 PM

5,573 posts, read 3,361,232 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by torontocheeka View Post
I'm sorry you feel that way.

It seems like a neutral term to me, maybe because childfree people generally don't mind using it, or hearing it. I will try and be conscious that mothers... may not feel the same way.

Really. I've always heard it in person used in the most derisive tone, with all the word connotes about livestock.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2016, 02:09 PM

52,395 posts, read 52,882,832 times
Quote:

It seems like a neutral term to me, maybe because childfree people generally don't mind using it, or hearing it.
I don't have kids myself, but the term is definitely a loaded statement you haven't said anything nasty about kids as far as I recall, but the people that typically say "breeders" usually follow it up with some vitriol toward people that have kids or want them. I've seen it in real life and on this forum as well. I don't know why this is such a hot button issue, but it pretty much is, the to have kids or not debate, seems to really spark some stuff from either camp.

I have no ill will toward kids, or people who want them, it's their business not mine. I would expect the same courtesy from people with kids and unfortunately I've received much more criticism from people with kids than the other way around. but whatever, I can handle it.

Old 02-09-2016, 02:11 PM

854 posts, read 587,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
It definitely seems reactionary.

I don't think anyone who posts asking for relationship advice or about a dilemma is not having some adverse reaction to the situation in question. Are you being facetious with this?

It's rather ironic, because I do think some of your posts have seemed a bit reactionary as well. A bit defensive, one might say? "I still go out all the time, I'm not suffering!" "Why are you worried about your friend switching sides?" (OK, did I ever say that anybody was "switching sides"?)

"Nobody EVER pressures childfree people to have kids anymore, what are you talking about? You must be making the whole thing up."

Nope, nothing reactionary there!

Old 02-09-2016, 02:11 PM

8,011 posts, read 8,231,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homina12 View Post
I like "culling the herd" myself.

The word "breed" seems like a harsh word choice. I know it's common among people who, in their against all odds defiance of the mandatory child bearing norms loudly proclaim their choice not to have kids, but it still seems harsh.
"culling the herd" seems pretty harsh as well.

It's just funny how people will have no problem at using certain dehumanizing terms like "breeding" and "culling the herd" but those same folks will be offended by the use of the term "female".

Old 02-09-2016, 02:13 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,221,710 times
Quote:

It seems like a neutral term to me, maybe because childfree people generally don't mind using it, or hearing it. I will try and be conscious that mothers... may not feel the same way.
It's not a neutral term. Lesson learned.

Old 02-09-2016, 02:13 PM

19,468 posts, read 15,318,370 times
Quote:
I like "culling the herd" myself.

The word "breed" seems like a harsh word choice. I know it's common among people who, in their against all odds defiance of the mandatory child bearing norms loudly proclaim their choice not to have kids, but it still seems harsh.
I chose not to have kids, but it would nevvver occur to me to use that word about parents. Definitely sounds ugly.

~~~

I actually did endure a lot of questions and curiosity about not having kids, from family and friends, but that's stopped now that I'm at an age where I can't reasonably have them. Also, I'm sure things have changed somewhat now where maybe people accept it more.

Old 02-09-2016, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Really. I've always heard it in person used in the most derisive tone, with all the word connotes about livestock.

But why do you think it's someone's responsibility to police their tone if they're talking about something they genuinely have a distaste for?

I mean, I hate raw tomatoes, so if I'm talking to my friends about raw tomatoes, they're not expecting me to say how "lovely" raw tomatoes are when in someone else's salad.

Old 02-09-2016, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ro2113 View Post
"culling the herd" seems pretty harsh as well.

It's just funny how people will have no problem at using certain dehumanizing terms like "breeding" and "culling the herd" but those same folks will be offended by the use of the term "female".

I'm actually not offended by the term "female," (and I know you weren't actually referring to me saying "culling the herd" since I never used that term here on CD, and you wouldn't be putting words into people's mouths of course), I was only saying that someone else pointed out to me online that men who use this term typically do not like women, and so now I pay attention to it. It never naturally occurred to me to be offended by the term and I didn't see any connotations in it. It's just a correlation that I'm now conscious of.

Old 02-09-2016, 02:19 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,221,710 times
Quote:
But why do you think it's someone's responsibility to police their tone if they're talking about something they genuinely have a distaste for?

I mean, I hate raw tomatoes, so if I'm talking to my friends about raw tomatoes, they're not expecting me to say how "lovely" raw tomatoes are when in someone else's salad.
Well, if the "raw tomatoes" were "human beings" - don't you think that would be different? When I accidentally run into the counter, I might curse at it for being in my way even though it's really my fault. When I accidentally run into a human being, I don't do the same.

But I'm confused. In some posts you say that you thought that the word was neutral - but now you are saying that it's not neutral and that you used it on purpose because... you hate people who have kids?

Old 02-09-2016, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdroplet76 View Post
Well, if the "raw tomatoes" were "human beings" - don't you think that would be different? When I accidentally run into the counter, I might curse at it for being in my way even though it's really my fault. When I accidentally run into a human being, I don't do the same.

But I'm confused. In some posts you say that you thought that the word was neutral - but now you are saying that it's not neutral and that you used it on purpose because... you hate people who have kids?

Sorry? I said that the word was viewed as neutral by me. Could you please explain how you go from my asking how or why it's my responsibility to apologize a million times over for your interpretation of a word, to me saying that I deliberately offended you because I hate people who have kids?

Do you have a literacy issue I should be aware of?

That's quite a leap! Sounds a bit... reactionary. Maybe you should have a glass of water to calm yourself down.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships