Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2016, 04:58 PM

50,407 posts, read 64,151,599 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by torontocheeka View Post
So, I'm turning 30 this week. The past decade has been a whirlwind, but I came out the other side stronger, smarter, and much happier overall with my life than I started it. I was very fortunate to be able to set aside some money, get a cute little place of my own, and find the love of my life all within the last year alone.

The thing is, rather than "starting to think seriously about having a kid" like so many claim that all women uniformly will get into the mindframe of around the age of 30, I have only become more certain that having kids is not for me.

And it's not that I'm not nurturing. Actually, I'm VERY nurturing. It's just that I don't want to nurture a baby, or a kid. I want to nurture my boyfriend.

I want to dote on my boyfriend every night. I want to feed... my boyfriend. I want every evening when I come home to be centred around him and us and giving him massages and doing stuff together and not a third party which feels very intrusive and which I would most likely resent for cutting into our time together.

When I set goals for myself and look at sort of "the 5-year-plan," I'm gradually working towards goals like retirement fund, getting and decorating a nice place for the two of us, etc. but there is never any thought of a kid.

I guess I just wonder why the assumption is that if you are an affectionate person who likes to care for others that means that you're definitely going to want a kid?

I also plan to give plenty of love and nightly affection to my boyfriend as we build our lives together so why do I feel guilty like I am potentially denying him something when I'll be giving him lots? Have I swallowed the Kool-Aid to think that all men secretly want to be fathers?
EVERY woman feels that way about their lovers...at first. That is why people procreate. If you give too much to your partner at your own expense, don't be complaining later when he sucks up all your opinions, wants and needs. OK?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2016, 05:06 PM

34,941 posts, read 36,312,015 times
Moderator note: We don't close active threads for no reason. Once posted, threads are the property of the site.

Old 02-09-2016, 07:58 PM

9,190 posts, read 6,365,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Being cuddly and close and even merging lives is very very very different than being motherly or being nurtured.
I see a big distinction between mothering/fathering and nurturing. To me nurturing simply means exhibiting a level of caring that goes above and beyond what is socially typical. I believe nurturing can apply to many other things beyond children. People can nurture pets, houseplants, a garden, wildlife habitat, a house, hobbies, bonsai trees and the list goes on and on. I am proud of the real estate I bought and I nurture it by giving it way more attention than most people give their houses. It was a foreclosure and I intend to bring it back to its former glory and then some.

Caring for children is just one way people can nurture and I suspect that everyone nurtures something whether human, other living thing or inanimate object.

Old 02-09-2016, 08:01 PM

19,438 posts, read 15,289,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtkinsonDan View Post
I see a big distinction between mothering/fathering and nurturing. To me nurturing simply means exhibiting a level of caring that goes above and beyond what is socially typical. I believe nurturing can apply to many other things beyond children. People can nurture pets, houseplants, a garden, wildlife habitat, a house, hobbies, bonsai trees and the list goes on and on. I am proud of the real estate I bought and I nurture it by giving it way more attention than most people give their houses. It was a foreclosure and I intend to bring it back to its former glory and then some.

Caring for children is just one way people can nurture and I suspect that everyone nurtures something whether human, other living thing or inanimate object.
That's how I see it, too.

Old 02-09-2016, 08:08 PM

6,822 posts, read 6,647,046 times
Quote:
So, I'm turning 30 this week. The past decade has been a whirlwind, but I came out the other side stronger, smarter, and much happier overall with my life than I started it. I was very fortunate to be able to set aside some money, get a cute little place of my own, and find the love of my life all within the last year alone.

The thing is, rather than "starting to think seriously about having a kid" like so many claim that all women uniformly will get into the mindframe of around the age of 30, I have only become more certain that having kids is not for me.

And it's not that I'm not nurturing. Actually, I'm VERY nurturing. It's just that I don't want to nurture a baby, or a kid. I want to nurture my boyfriend.

I want to dote on my boyfriend every night. I want to feed... my boyfriend. I want every evening when I come home to be centred around him and us and giving him massages and doing stuff together and not a third party which feels very intrusive and which I would most likely resent for cutting into our time together.

When I set goals for myself and look at sort of "the 5-year-plan," I'm gradually working towards goals like retirement fund, getting and decorating a nice place for the two of us, etc. but there is never any thought of a kid.

I guess I just wonder why the assumption is that if you are an affectionate person who likes to care for others that means that you're definitely going to want a kid?

I also plan to give plenty of love and nightly affection to my boyfriend as we build our lives together so why do I feel guilty like I am potentially denying him something when I'll be giving him lots? Have I swallowed the Kool-Aid to think that all men secretly want to be fathers?
lucky man it sounds like. It'd be a beautiful thing to have a lady into me like that.

I can understand where you're coming from.

Old 02-09-2016, 08:20 PM

9,190 posts, read 6,365,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
I also find it baffling in our current environment that anyone gives a fig about what "society" assumes they should do with their future. I really thought we had evolved beyond this hope chest, Mr. Right, wedding and children as being the goal and only option for women.
Quote:
Agree. I don't live in a rural area anymore (thank the flying spaghetti monster), but I don't see it or hear it. Maybe because I'm a guy. I've never been asked when I'm going to get married, or when or if I'm going to procreate. Education and career questions are common though.
If I was to wager a guess as to where this pressure still happens, it would be within religious social circles. Outside of the family, I imagine churches are the only social establishments that still exhibit pressure for people to marry and procreate. I experienced that kind of social pressure as recently as the early 1990s but it disappeared when I relocated to a less religious area. Of course the early 1990s are now 20 years ago.

Old 02-10-2016, 08:46 AM

36,634 posts, read 30,960,466 times
Quote:
Hmmm well that's interesting. My bf's twin sister did give birth in the past year. So he has a niece now. Who knows? Maybe the "not sure" has become a definite yes for him and he just doesn't want to tell me, which isn't really fair to either of us.

That won't happen to me, though. I am an only child. I also come from a long line of women who should not have had children. It's good to know that other people can still change their minds in their 30's abruptly. I always figured those who said they weren't sure or who seemed to change their minds really knew but just weren't being honest (either with themselves or others).
Everyone is different. I work with a couple (we all went to college together) who, to everyone's surprise, married after working together for several years . She never, never, ever wanted kids, is a really good person but no one would every describe her as nurturing, he was either way on having kids. After several years of marriage at 40 they suddenly wanted a kid. At 46 they now have 3, and she would like another but the age thing. She is a very good mother.

My son never, ever wanted kids of his own. He likes kids but had no desire to bring forth his own into this world. He is 32 and still feels the same way.

So go figure.

Old 02-10-2016, 08:52 AM

41,936 posts, read 37,037,797 times
Quote:
My son never, ever wanted kids of his own. He likes kids but had no desire to bring forth his own into this world. He is 32 and still feels the same way.

So go figure.

32 is still pretty young. I see that notion changing a lot in guys mid to late 30s. When I was mid 30s, after I finished grad school and became re-established career wise with a decent track (not without hiccups) is when I came to the point of wanting a family with the right woman. As it turns out, none of the women I had strong connections with since then wanted kids, save one, she didn't want them with me. So it goes...

Old 02-10-2016, 09:13 AM

36,634 posts, read 30,960,466 times
Quote:
32 is still pretty young. I see that notion changing a lot in guys mid to late 30s. When I was mid 30s, after I finished grad school and became re-established career wise with a decent track (not without hiccups) is when I came to the point of wanting a family with the right woman. As it turns out, none of the women I had strong connections with since then wanted kids, save one, she didn't want them with me. So it goes...
Yes, Im not saying he will never change his mind but I dont see it happening. As you said the thing is by 32 chances are the women you will be dating will not be wanting kids at that stage or already have kids and dont want more, unless you date much younger. All of the women my son has dated seriously already had kids.

Old 02-10-2016, 09:17 AM

21,192 posts, read 25,200,844 times
Quote:
Yes, Im not saying he will never change his mind but I dont see it happening. As you said the thing is by 32 chances are the women you will be dating will not be wanting kids at that stage or already have kids and dont want more, unless you date much younger. All of the women my son has dated seriously already had kids.
I think that depends on where you live. Most of my friends got married in their 30's and had kids in their mid-late 30's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships