Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2016, 04:42 PM

405 posts, read 241,113 times

Advertisements

Hi All.

This is my first thread (still fairly new to the message boards), I wanted to explain my situation and get some feedback on it. I am 29 years old (I will be turning 30 in December) and I have never had a girlfriend,kissed a girl or done anything with one in the past. I do not have a problem talking to girls or making friends with them and I am sure if I tried to I could get dates with them, here is where my situation differs from most. As I have gotten older I have learned a lot about my self and one of the things I have learned about myself is how I want to live my life, I do not want to get married, Have kids or live with a future girlfriend (i need my space). Sometimes I feel like I could make an attempt to get to know a girl but then I think to myself and I assume most woman want one of the three things I am against and decide not to take it down that road. I was curious to hear from anyone who would like to comment, with how I want to live my life is it worth the time to ever make the effort with woman or not even worry about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2016, 04:48 PM

52,282 posts, read 52,713,798 times
You gotta do what works for you and not worry about what others think.

Old 03-06-2016, 04:52 PM

5,725 posts, read 11,719,194 times
Do you really not want those three things, or do you think they won't happen so you are telling yourself you don't want them in order to avoid rejection? An honest answer to that will tell you whether or not it is worth the effort. Personally, I think it is hard to know you don't want something if you have never even had a sniff of it.

Old 03-06-2016, 05:08 PM

48,534 posts, read 34,873,169 times
There are women who do not want marriage, children or co-habitation.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 03-06-2016, 09:32 PM

13,656 posts, read 9,720,920 times
The easy and likewise trite answer, is that if supposedly great and imperative things annoy us, then we can simply dispense with them, not worrying much, or seeking affirmation. But being herd-animals, we depend on confirmation and approval, on support from peers and strangers alike. We can not "go our own way" (a loaded phrase!) unless others go with us.

I'm quick to agree, that the trappings of family, for all of their rewards and joys and so forth, are also burdensome even if soundly planned, and liable to collapse despite the best of planning. So what should we do? Should we dismiss them? Should we, perhaps, leave open the possibility, but not actively seek it?

If I correctly understand the OP, he wants a romantic relationship, and not mere sex; but he doesn't want the standard suburban packaging of family. Is this hard to achieve? That much depends on one's locale, on attitude and resources. The situation is not "unique"; it's actually quite common. Neither is it unique to struggle with it. All that's unique is how we personally comprehend it, what's in our minds. And there – in "attitude" – lies the greatest problem.

Old 03-06-2016, 10:51 PM

8,923 posts, read 7,724,837 times
If you don't want to do it, then don't do it.

It's your life.

Old 03-07-2016, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maf763 View Post
Do you really not want those three things, or do you think they won't happen so you are telling yourself you don't want them in order to avoid rejection? An honest answer to that will tell you whether or not it is worth the effort. Personally, I think it is hard to know you don't want something if you have never even had a sniff of it.

Good points, but I have not wanted kids since I was 15 a decision I have stood by and will not waver on, Marriage is another thing that has never interested me, out of the three Living with someone is something I could change my mind on but it would have to be the right situation. but the other two I am not changing my mind on.

Old 03-07-2016, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
You gotta do what works for you and not worry about what others think.

thank you for that, I know what I want/don't want and i only really struggle with it when I think most woman want and I know I do not want the same things overall.

Old 03-07-2016, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
There are women who do not want marriage, children or co-habitation.

I know you are right...finding them that is the problem lol.

Old 03-07-2016, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_peasant View Post
The easy and likewise trite answer, is that if supposedly great and imperative things annoy us, then we can simply dispense with them, not worrying much, or seeking affirmation. But being herd-animals, we depend on confirmation and approval, on support from peers and strangers alike. We can not "go our own way" (a loaded phrase!) unless others go with us.

I'm quick to agree, that the trappings of family, for all of their rewards and joys and so forth, are also burdensome even if soundly planned, and liable to collapse despite the best of planning. So what should we do? Should we dismiss them? Should we, perhaps, leave open the possibility, but not actively seek it?

If I correctly understand the OP, he wants a romantic relationship, and not mere sex; but he doesn't want the standard suburban packaging of family. Is this hard to achieve? That much depends on one's locale, on attitude and resources. The situation is not "unique"; it's actually quite common. Neither is it unique to struggle with it. All that's unique is how we personally comprehend it, what's in our minds. And there – in "attitude" – lies the greatest problem.

Well Said, I used the word "Unique" based on for the most part that is what most people do Date, Move in together, Get married and have kids, buy a house. I think it is rare/unique to not want most of this and I understand myself to know and realize this. and you are correct I want a meaningful relationship (which goes along with why I am a virgin, I do not believe in hooking up otherwise I wouldn't be a virgin anymore as I have had plenty of opportunities).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships