Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2016, 06:37 AM

1,915 posts, read 1,482,442 times

Advertisements

I dated a military man. I met him in college before he was in the military.

Military men are really no different than other men in that they have different personalities, goals, and even body types. My military guy wasn't buff. He was in good shape but he was an IT person and kind of geeky.

So your stereotype of military men is kind of cartoonish. They aren't all like the idea you are expressing here. You seem to be in love with the idea of the type of man you want and it's not fair to any man to expect him to live up to that romantized ideal you are creating.

For what it's worth the deployments killed the relationship. He cheated when we were apart. We actually remained friends though because we'd been frinds before in college. I still talk to him every now and then.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2016, 06:40 AM

741 posts, read 478,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
Gab, honey, how many times do we have to have this conversation?

You have a blank that you now think you want a "military man" to fill. Again, the issue here is all within you. It's about the lack in your life that you **think** a certain type of person, who you may or may not find, will fill up.

This kind of quest, though, usually ends in pain because you are not REALLY searching for a quality person but for a band-aid to heal your pain.

Do what countless people here have suggested and FIX YOURSELF. Focus on the job, make smart decisions, continue therapy and heal YOURSELF, THEN you will be in a better position to choose a life partner instead of throwing darts.
I am just freaking out so bad. I graduate in 48 days, I passed the exam that I've been working towards since I started school. I have no where else to focus. I'm an adult, I'm about to find a job and live on my own and work. I still haven't accomplished any of what I wanted. I'm 25 still unmarried still not pregnant and it was supposed to happen while I was in school that was my perfect time to meet someone and I didn't now what am I going to do? I just saw 3 baby announcements and 2 engagements this weekend from people my age and younger

Old 03-29-2016, 06:41 AM

4,613 posts, read 4,797,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gab12 View Post
But I'm not that girl. I am not looking for military men for any gains other than marriage and babies in 6 months to a year
That makes you EXACTLY that girl. You sound like you consider your wants more noble than the women who want a ONS or something, but the point is the same: you only appear to be concerned with one, superficial thing and you're making the rest of the assumptions about them as a person based on that one thing.

Old 03-29-2016, 06:42 AM

Quote:
I still haven't accomplished any of what I wanted. I'm 25 still unmarried still not pregnant and it was supposed to happen while I was in school that was my perfect time to meet someone and I didn't now what am I going to do? I just saw 3 baby announcements and 2 engagements this weekend from people my age and younger
Oh....I see the problem now.

Old 03-29-2016, 06:43 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,995,252 times
Quote:
But I'm not that girl. I am not looking for military men for any gains other than marriage and babies in 6 months to a year
Stereotypical "that girl"

Old 03-29-2016, 06:45 AM

49,927 posts, read 59,984,705 times
Quote:
I just saw 3 baby announcements and 2 engagements this weekend from people my age and younger
See, that's ^^^ the trigger for you.

Life is going to happen around you, Gab, and you HAVE to get better at dealing with it.
We have told you time and again that you are the one putting all this pressure on yourself. No one else is telling you when it is "supposed" to happen. That's all you.

The harsh reality is that you have this cerebral palsy to deal with, so it is of course (and unfortunately) going to put some more barriers in your path than your friends have to deal with. So comparing yourself to your friends who DON'T have CP is a complete and total waste of time.

Why can't you just accept and understand that your life is not going to look like every other 25-year-old girl's?

Take a breath and think for a moment that your life could be just as great, but may not happen on the exact same timeline.

You could STOP freaking out by changing your outlook, but at this point it's almost like you enjoy the emotional chaos.

Old 03-29-2016, 06:47 AM

Last I'm going to say on the matter, as I don't think anything else will have much impact:

OP, you are an absolutely PRIME target to be taken advantage of my men who would be inclined to use you, sexually or otherwise. In my younger, less moral days, I would have been drawn to the blinking light above your head.

Old 03-29-2016, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
See, that's ^^^ the trigger for you.

Life is going to happen around you, Gab, and you HAVE to get better at dealing with it.
We have told you time and again that you are the one putting all this pressure on yourself. No one else is telling you when it is "supposed" to happen. That's all you.

The harsh reality is that you have this cerebral palsy to deal with, so it is of course (and unfortunately) going to put some more barriers in your path than your friends have to deal with. So comparing yourself to your friends who DON'T have CP is a complete and total waste of time.

Why can't you just accept and understand that your life is not going to look like every other 25-year-old girl's?

Take a breath and think for a moment that your life could be just as great, but may not happen on the exact same timeline.

You could STOP freaking out by changing your outlook, but at this point it's almost like you enjoy the emotional chaos.
I know that life happens differently for everyone. Its just that this is ALL I want like I would sacrifice everything else I just want to be married and have a family. It's unfair that I have to have CP and deal with this because I didn't ask for this life

Old 03-29-2016, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hivemind31 View Post
Last I'm going to say on the matter, as I don't think anything else will have much impact:

OP, you are an absolutely PRIME target to be taken advantage of my men who would be inclined to use you, sexually or otherwise. In my younger, less moral days, I would have been drawn to the blinking light above your head.
Do you mean because I'm naive or because I'm desperate

Old 03-29-2016, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Do you mean because I'm naive or because I'm desperate
Desperate. I don't know you well enough to accuse you of being naive, but the desperation shows. I'm not trying to be mean, really....I swear it's constructive!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships