Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-06-2016, 10:00 PM

10,069 posts, read 7,243,961 times

Advertisements

I would suggest taking an improv and/or acting class, as well as a ballroom dancing class. Charisma and the way you carry yourself can work miracles.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2016, 11:38 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,715,012 times
I used to hit on gorgeous women at clubs or bars but I got tired of them. Too many games and they're just too boring to be around with. You never get their full attention because they have too many things going on in their lives or pretends to be. Even the ones that appears to be down to earth never really can get over the fact that their looks are more important than anything else.

As for relationships I think it's better to be with someone more average looking who's not gonna make a big stink about bad hair day or worry about pigging out a burger.

Old 05-07-2016, 09:26 AM

3,503 posts, read 7,501,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artful Architect View Post
I know that the usual advice is "work out, makeup, hair, dress nice", however, those things can only do so much when your unattractiveness lies in genetic factors, like having a huge nose.

Thanks in advance for your advice. I appreciate honesty above all; that's always more useful.
Set your appointment with a plastic surgeon ASAP.

You're welcome.

Old 05-09-2016, 05:08 PM

1,020 posts, read 1,011,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Howest2008 View Post
That''s the reason that verbal communication is so
important as opposed to written communications , when it''s not face to face misunderstandings abound. I thought that you were a member of the 20's something cry in your cereal every morning crowd because you could not have your way with a drop dead gorgeous model. And the very next day dump on a cute plain Jane Looking Girl that could
& would make you a very happy camper. .
Agreed. And why I don't do online dating and when, if I have something important or meaningful to say, I don't text or email; Must be by phone or in-person, to avoid wild misinterpretations.

Old 05-09-2016, 05:44 PM

102,218 posts, read 107,956,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redguard57 View Post
I would suggest taking an improv and/or acting class, as well as a ballroom dancing class. Charisma and the way you carry yourself can work miracles.
This is so true! Great advice for men and women.

Old 05-09-2016, 05:51 PM

15,590 posts, read 15,680,999 times
Even though I'm not a guy...

Not just dressing nice, but dressing...strikingly. Not necessarily looking slutty or flamboyant, but don't blend in. And sometimes calm is good, but sometimes calm can backfire, and vivacity could win the day.

Also, forgive me, because this sounds so retro but, you know, Helen Gurley Brown became rich and successful by telling ordinary-looking girls (whom she termed mouseburgers) how to attract men. Maybe you should read her books and see if any of her tips still apply.

Old 05-09-2016, 06:07 PM

102,218 posts, read 107,956,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
Even though I'm not a guy...

Not just dressing nice, but dressing...strikingly. Not necessarily looking slutty or flamboyant, but don't blend in. And sometimes calm is good, but sometimes calm can backfire, and vivacity could win the day.

Also, forgive me, because this sounds so retro but, you know, Helen Gurley Brown became rich and successful by telling ordinary-looking girls (whom she termed mouseburgers) how to attract men. Maybe you should read her books and see if any of her tips still apply.
I read her book. It was shocking and sad, very dated. She came from an impoverished background, and felt that her only option to advance past the secretarial pool was to sleep her way up the ladder. And that's what she did. And she advocated that for other women!! The professional world is much more open to women now than in her day. It's kind of a sad, tawdry little book.

Old 05-09-2016, 06:10 PM

1,020 posts, read 1,011,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post

I grew up in a house full of women and Cosmopolitan magazine was often present. Helen Gurley Brown was the editor and I do recall the term, "Mouseburger."

I did, however, question some of the advice the magazine offered women, and I would not be surprised if it is still being recycled today.

Old 05-09-2016, 06:34 PM

30,902 posts, read 33,013,051 times
Mouseburger???

Are you guys serious?

Old 05-09-2016, 06:41 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,921,465 times
A friendly attitude and a smile will go a long way to overcoming appearance shortcomings. There's this lady in our local bank. She doesn't have nice hair, and she has a huge hook nose. She's probably a 3. But she's a happy person and very friendly. If I was single, I'd date her in a minute. Why? Fun and pleasant people are not easy to find. I've dated very pretty girls in the past. One woman as a runner up to Miss Milw. Most boring date ever.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships