Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-24-2016, 10:26 AM

1,838 posts, read 2,022,466 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Who said degrading contests or having sex before she's ready are her only options? You didn't read the thread, did you? This is getting depressing; to believe some posters, the OP's only options are to throw sex at the guy she's interested in or otherwise engage in a degrading contest, or get plastic surgery.

Wow. Just wow.
Yes, I read the thread, and saw posts advising the OP to behave in a way that suggests she is available, and to improve her bedroom performance, regardless of whether she is actually interested in that. She herself implied that she wanted to compete with more attractive peers. I think improving her looks, then dating on her own terms is a much better idea.

As you said, the OP seems to have fled the forum after one post, though, so this is probably not helping her.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2016, 11:53 AM

102,218 posts, read 107,956,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forum_browser View Post
Yes, I read the thread, and saw posts advising the OP to behave in a way that suggests she is available, and to improve her bedroom performance, regardless of whether she is actually interested in that. She herself implied that she wanted to compete with more attractive peers. I think improving her looks, then dating on her own terms is a much better idea.

As you said, the OP seems to have fled the forum after one post, though, so this is probably not helping her.
OK, so you mentally filtered out all the suggestions to look for venues where she could meet people where her personality would have an opportunity to shine: group activities of various sorts, volunteering, etc. Why is that? You ignored the prime resource for shy guys and for plain, average types of both genders, preferring instead to tell the OP to go under the knife. Implying, thereby, that it's all about looks, nobody cares about her personality.

Way to go.

Old 04-24-2016, 01:05 PM

Unfortunately, for women, appearance is very, very important. Yes, she should meet people who are interested in stuff she likes, not just for dating but because having a network of like-minded people makes life generally better. Where dating is concerned, though, guys, especially young guys, look at appearance first and then at other factors. I wish I had known the importance of fixing my appearance at an early age, and I hope other young women with problematic faces learn it before they lose the advantages of youth.

I agree that it shouldn't be this way, but men still have more power than women and a lone unattractive woman is not going to change that simply by living out the consequences of her genetics.

Old 04-24-2016, 01:16 PM

14,078 posts, read 16,616,844 times
Quote:
Unfortunately, for women, appearance is very, very important. Yes, she should meet people who are interested in stuff she likes, not just for dating but because having a network of like-minded people makes life generally better. Where dating is concerned, though, guys, especially young guys, look at appearance first and then at other factors. I wish I had known the importance of fixing my appearance at an early age, and I hope other young women with problematic faces learn it before they lose the advantages of youth.

I agree that it shouldn't be this way, but men still have more power than women and a lone unattractive woman is not going to change that simply by living out the consequences of her genetics.
But so many unattractive women are married and in relationships. Many are with unattractive men. They seem happy together so it must not be that big of a deal.

Old 04-24-2016, 01:23 PM

They need to make a lot of compromises. Improving appearances slightly can change the dynamics a little bit. Of course, if a woman is happy with her life, that is fine. The OP, however, was asking for advice on how to handle dating as a woman without a pretty face.

Old 04-24-2016, 01:43 PM

Quote:
They need to make a lot of compromises. Improving appearances slightly can change the dynamics a little bit. Of course, if a woman is happy with her life, that is fine. The OP, however, was asking for advice on how to handle dating as a woman without a pretty face.
This is the Chelsea Clinton solution. You're right that it would give more timely positive results. Plainer women generally end up waiting a lot longer to find interest and a good match. It's a controversial issue that only each woman in that position can decide for herself.

Old 04-24-2016, 01:51 PM

Quote:
This is the Chelsea Clinton solution. You're right that it would give more timely positive results. Plainer women generally end up waiting a lot longer to find interest and a good match. It's a controversial issue that only each woman in that position can decide for herself.
Chelsea isn't even that bad looking and her husband is very average looking too. Even if her father wasn't Bill Clinton, I don't think her appearance would've stopped her from finding relationships.

Old 04-24-2016, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Like Sugar View Post
Chelsea isn't even that bad looking and her husband is very average looking too. Even if her father wasn't Bill Clinton, I don't think her appearance would've stopped her from finding relationships.
Everyone's forgotten what she looked like in highschool.

Old 04-24-2016, 04:03 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,875,261 times
Quote:
She was made fun of her woofin hair and braces.Even the Beavis and Butthead movie made fun of it. But now she's pretty so good for her.

Old 04-24-2016, 04:12 PM

Quote:
lol, I don't think that even counts. A lot of people went through awkward/ugly phases in high school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships