Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2016, 01:04 PM

16,960 posts, read 17,354,326 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auraliea View Post
Is this what society has been reduced to?
The only thing that was reduced was his hairline. Now that's fixed, he's getting 75% more matches.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2016, 01:30 PM

30,902 posts, read 33,021,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by david0966 View Post
Interesting. When I was on OKC I got as many or more responses after I shaved my head than before, and many of those were initially contacting me. Go figure.
Yeah, but your very real experience wouldn't have made an awesome "aha, GOTCHA!"-type article so men who couldn't get dates could continue to blame women for that.

I mean how can you pull the "women are liars who claim not to be shallow, but they ARE, they are SOOOOO like TOTALLY SHALLOW" card with an experience like yours? Not to mention the loss of the "see, women are shallow too, so it's perfectly all right for me, a 50-year-old, pregnancy-bellied hairyback with halitosis to stalk 19-year-old hotties" factor...that is just not playing fair of you.

But thanks for the post, anyway. Interesting.

Last edited by JerZ; 05-25-2016 at 01:45 PM..

Old 05-25-2016, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auraliea View Post
Is this what society has been reduced to?
No, LOL. It's just one sub-category of an already-sub-category.

So fear not.

Old 05-25-2016, 01:52 PM

2,071 posts, read 2,211,733 times
As others have said he looks better in the second pic, mostly due to better lighting and angle, irrespective of the hairline. And he is good looking in general. This is not to say that a good head of hair is not a plus, I am just making the point that the article was more an ad for the hair transplant doc than it was an actual article.

Article says the guy is 31, so probably 29 or 30 in the before (looks 35 to me but off topic). If he has that bad of hair loss at 30, it does not bode well for his future hairline, there is still a good chance a shaven head is in his future.

Quote:
Interesting. When I was on OKC I got as many or more responses after I shaved my head than before, and many of those were initially contacting me. Go figure.
We can reasonably assume that you were pretty far gone, Norwood 3 or higher with thinning, if you decided to shave your head. So it is not a good comparison. Guy in the before photo I would say was Norwood 2.5 at most, and had otherwise good density. And the article addressed this phenomenon, men with a clean shaven head are considered more attractive then men with considerable hairloss

The number of responses/contacts you get is only relevant if they are women you would consider dating. Better to get one contact a week from a woman you would find attractive than 10 contacts a week from women you do not find attractive. Quality is the unaccounted for variable that renders almost all dating studies irrelevant.

I spent some time on Monday checking out my competition on Match (undercover). LOL, every time a guy was wearing hat in his main profile pic, he turned out to be bald. I suggest to such men you just own it and not put the hat pic as your main profile pic.

Last edited by Robert5; 05-25-2016 at 02:01 PM..

Old 05-25-2016, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert5 View Post

We can reasonably assume that you were pretty far gone, Norwood 3 or higher with thinning, if you decided to shave your head. So it is not a good comparison. Guy in the before photo I would say was only Norwood 2, and had otherwise good density. And the article addressed this phenomenon, men with a clean shaven head are considered more attractive then men with considerable hairloss

The number of responses/contacts you get is only relevant if they are women you would consider dating. Better to get one contact a week from a woman you would find attractive than 10 contacts a week from women you do not find attractive. Quality is the unaccounted for variable that renders almost all dating studies irrelevant.
But how "terribly far gone" was the man in his first pic? Not very.

I have no idea what "Norwood" he was nor what a "Norwood" is.

But I mean look at the pic. It's not ridiculous, he doesn't have a 3-hair Gollum comb-over. He just has a reasonably far-back hairline. TBH even in the "transplant" pic he still has a fairly far-back hairline, just less so. I wouldn't say it's a "ZOMG hundreds of responses all of a sudden"-worthy difference. It just isn't. Not the hair itself.

The clothes, lighting, angle and come-hither look are the real, major differences. Plus maybe half an inch of hairline?

Old 05-25-2016, 03:38 PM

1,103 posts, read 1,662,425 times
I will say I have fought hair loss successfully. I have a bumpy head, so me bald would not look good!
Lets face it. the majority of women like hair on mens head. Just the way it is.

Old 05-25-2016, 03:43 PM

4,380 posts, read 4,453,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
Apparently, it's a scale that measures hairline recession. Once again, CD-R has proven educational.

And as an added bonus, Jason Statham is the example for a Norwood 5 so my work day/week is ending with unexpected eye candy. Win!

Old 05-25-2016, 04:48 PM

41,936 posts, read 36,995,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert5 View Post
We can reasonably assume that you were pretty far gone, Norwood 3 or higher with thinning, if you decided to shave your head. So it is not a good comparison. Guy in the before photo I would say was Norwood 2.5 at most, and had otherwise good density. And the article addressed this phenomenon, men with a clean shaven head are considered more attractive then men with considerable hairloss

Not sure why you are assuming this, I started shaving my head at 22 or 23 and didn't have really any noticeable hair loss. It just looked better.

Old 05-25-2016, 05:02 PM

37,626 posts, read 46,035,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
I'm sure some will ridicule this article, saying they don't care about such 'superficial' things, but let's face it the facts don't lie in general. Nothing wrong though with people preferring a potential date based on looks, it's human nature.

https://www.yahoo.com/beauty/man-get...232913338.html

And this
I thought he looked great in the first pic. I mean, sure the 2nd one looks good too, except for that eye thing.

I love buzzed or shaved heads, as do many women. Most men worry needlessly about the hair thing.

Old 05-25-2016, 05:04 PM

37,626 posts, read 46,035,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
But how "terribly far gone" was the man in his first pic? Not very.

But I mean look at the pic. It's not ridiculous, he doesn't have a 3-hair Gollum comb-over. He just has a reasonably far-back hairline. TBH even in the "transplant" pic he still has a fairly far-back hairline, just less so. I wouldn't say it's a "ZOMG hundreds of responses all of a sudden"-worthy difference. It just isn't. Not the hair itself.

The clothes, lighting, angle and come-hither look are the real, major differences. Plus maybe half an inch of hairline?
Absolutely. Not the hair. Definitely not the hair.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships