Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2016, 09:52 PM

48,556 posts, read 34,920,300 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by victorianpunk View Post
Exactly, because 99% of society is appealed by romance and sex and all that crap, like I said. And that society puts pressure on those of us who aren't through things like advertising.

That is my point
And how is society doing that to you?
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2016, 10:15 PM

18,161 posts, read 15,646,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikelee81 View Post
I would welcome a relationship and what society says has little to do with it. I think there is something special about a bond with two people.

Sure life can be fulfilling alone. I've been walking that path for some time now and know all about it. I've had a lot of freedom. It's a lonely road though. A relationship is about focusing on someone other than yourself.

Yep. Pretty much. Focusing in a special someone is also very fulfilling, I've been advised, by some, to cut fence on my lady, and and concentrate on myself. The rationales vary, from just being free, and being able to see more than one woman, the sacrifices I've made for my lady are to much, and she's just using me, I'm just going to end up being a caregiver in a sexless relationship, the list goes on and on. The core reason being what I'm getting is not worth what I'm giving up.

Well, I disagree. What I've already received is worth anything I may have given up. From where I'm sitting, I haven't given up anything and I've been given the World. Myady stood by me, when I was at in my back and helpless. I had nothing to offer her, except my total, complete love. She could have easily just walked away, and found someone else. She wasn't having g any medical issues then like she is now, a d all she was getting from me at that time was hardly tangible.

Now, she needs me to step up the same way, and I will. It is very gratifying and fulfilling, and I can't see things being any other way. Its great to know I'm not alone, and she feels the same. Some people would see me walk away from this? Now that would be losing something. Everything, actually.

Old 06-01-2016, 09:42 AM
SQL

1,337 posts, read 1,195,077 times
Quote:
Exactly, because 99% of society is appealed by romance and sex and all that crap, like I said. And that society puts pressure on those of us who aren't through things like advertising.

That is my point
One could argue that society (or marketing adverts) put pressure on us to consume a lot of things or ideas. But I don't buy a new iPhone every year because a new one comes out with new features. One could say there is a lot of pressure on me to buy a large home, because that's what everyone else seems to be doing. But I bought a smaller condo instead, because that's all I really felt that I needed.

I'm not saying you don't have any external pressures to be in a relationship, because maybe you do have family or friends who constantly ask you about your relationship status. However, I'd be that most of the pressure is internal, and is created in your own mind.

If you don't want to do it, then don't do it. Unless someone has a gun up to your head giving you orders, nobody is forcing you to do anything.

Last edited by SQL; 06-01-2016 at 09:57 AM..

Old 06-01-2016, 09:49 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,624,182 times
You seem really invested in having random strangers back up and validate your personal choices.

"I think if everyone were honest, more people would agree with me that celibacy is the way to go," etc. Dude, own your choices and preferences without wasting time trying to convince others that if they were smart, they'd sign on to your philosophy, and if they don't, that clearly indicates that society has successfully sold them a bill of goods. Is it so hard to grasp that different people want, value, and enjoy different things?

Your continued attempts to "recruit" others to your mindset kind of undercuts your own assertion that people should embrace their individuality, versus signing on to what others tell them to do.

Old 06-01-2016, 10:20 AM

308 posts, read 267,765 times
Quote:
And so much of society seems to be hellbent on saying EVERYONE needs a relationship and sex to be happy. Therapists, the media etc are all trying to sell us on this idea that every single human being needs "love" to be fulfilled and if you don't, there is something wrong with you. No, being inauthentic is the only thing "wrong" with someone, not realizing that there are better things to do than try to be compatible with someone else.

Ever think that maybe, just maybe, you would be better off on your own, but there is something outside yourself stopping you?
You seem to have completely ignored biology in your analysis.

Old 06-01-2016, 11:58 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,388,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantabridgienne View Post
Thanks for letting us know you don't want a girlfriend. For the second time today.

I am laughing that you'd rather go to Japan than deal with "relationship drama". I'd rather go on a bike ride than eat bleach, but I have a partner so what do I do?!?
If only it were twice, but this is his mantra, and we've heard it all before. Why he needs to keep beating a dead horse, I cannot fathom.

OP, people want different things out of life. Your decision to remain single is no less valid because somebody else chooses a relationship. I can will tell you, however, that repeatedly implying that others are wrong to couple up makes you seem less than convinced that you are on the right path. People who are confident in their decisions don't typically seek on-going validation.

And the answer to your previous question is unequivocally no. I do not believe that I would be happier on my own. I am at my very core someone who prefers marriage and family to singledom.

Old 06-02-2016, 12:24 AM

6,351 posts, read 9,985,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
And how is society doing that to you?

I'm asked if I have a girlfriend or a wife all the time, and if I say know people ask more questions after awhile. It's like being gay or something: my lifestyle makes me a freak to a great many people and they have no qualms about letting me know that is the case

Old 06-02-2016, 12:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
You seem really invested in having random strangers back up and validate your personal choices.
Do you say that to everyone on this forum who mention something about their own love-life? Mine was actually framed as a question if you didn't notice which is directed at others, not myself.

Quote:
"I think if everyone were honest, more people would agree with me that celibacy is the way to go," etc.
And in the 1960s the first gay-rights pioneers were saying that if more people were honest a lot more gay people would be walking around. And?
Quote:
Dude, own your choices and preferences without wasting time trying to convince others that if they were smart, they'd sign on to your philosophy, and if they don't, that clearly indicates that society has successfully sold them a bill of goods. Is it so hard to grasp that different people want, value, and enjoy different things?

Your continued attempts to "recruit" others to your mindset kind of undercuts your own assertion that people should embrace their individuality, versus signing on to what others tell them to do.

I'm "recruiting" as much as National Coming Out day is "Recruiting" gay people.

Old 06-02-2016, 12:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rs1n View Post
You seem to have completely ignored biology in your analysis.

That is what masturbation is for. It is a quick, easy and cheap way of achieving release that easily replaced the messiness of human sexual interraction

Old 06-02-2016, 12:55 AM

23 posts, read 15,407 times
Wow!! You really don't have a clue what you're talking about do you?

For the person who mentioned human biology, thanks for that.

Human beings don't crave sex to simply achieve an orgasm, they crave sex because 1000's of years of evolution has engrained a need to reproduce. If you don't have that craving, good for you friend, however don't try to blame relationships on television commercials and romantic comedies.

Do companies pander to human nature?? Of course.

We are also a food eating society, do you blame Olive Garden?

We also crave water, do you blame Aqua Fina?

No you don't, but they do try to capitalize on human nature.

Read something non fiction and learn from it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships