Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-09-2018, 05:49 PM

2,599 posts, read 2,324,019 times

Advertisements

I just recalled a woman's personal ad from a few or so years ago. It was titled "I need a boyfriend".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2018, 12:44 PM

20,396 posts, read 14,667,898 times
This subforum has a soundtrack. Did you know? In my head, when I post here...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9O6e7cgkeqw

...without fail.

Old 07-11-2018, 03:08 PM

16,225 posts, read 27,435,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post
This subforum has a soundtrack. Did you know? In my head, when I post here...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9O6e7cgkeqw

...without fail.
Any time I hear that song, I can't not think of this scene. Without fail!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=aky2LIJu7yM

Old 07-11-2018, 08:52 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,748,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
When I lived in apartments without AC, my nighttime ritual on super hot days was a tepid shower with Dr. Bronner's peppermint soap. Something about the peppermint scent feels cooler.
Apartments without AC is just a foreign concept to me being from the Southeast. No AC is just cruelty in my eyes especially living in the humid part of the country. I remember back in the late 90s my mom was talking about buying an Isuzu Rodeo and I looked at and read the car brochure and it said that AC was an OPTION, even not being but 11 or 12 at the time I was like "Virginia in summer without AC? Hell naw!"

Old 07-12-2018, 06:37 AM

2,033 posts, read 1,680,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
Apartments without AC is just a foreign concept to me being from the Southeast. No AC is just cruelty in my eyes especially living in the humid part of the country. I remember back in the late 90s my mom was talking about buying an Isuzu Rodeo and I looked at and read the car brochure and it said that AC was an OPTION, even not being but 11 or 12 at the time I was like "Virginia in summer without AC? Hell naw!"
We (the ex and myself and 3 yr old), lived without ac while down in GTMO Cuba for the 2 years. 81-83. Then, he got stationed in Charleston Naval Brig, then, we headed down to Gulfport MS. All without a/c. I didn't really push for it till baby #3, which, by then.....in a mobile home 6 blocks from the beach....we had to. So, I finally was able to snag a used central air in 1988. Gosh I miss that thing.

Old 07-12-2018, 07:13 AM

10,341 posts, read 5,867,792 times
I broke down and got the portable unit, can't leave kitties home in 90°.
It may have been a sight to see a sweaty blonde lady hauling a portable air conditioning unit on a cart through the downtown streets of the big city. Some were giving me the thumbs up though, so I can be sweaty AND smart.😺

Old 07-12-2018, 08:13 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,974,024 times
I really really really hope that these "love is just a transaction" buffoons are the same few posters recycling themselves. I would really hate to think that there are so many guys in the world that don't believe in caring, and friendship, and falling in love, or in creating communities.

Old 07-12-2018, 08:24 AM

20,396 posts, read 14,667,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
I really really really hope that these "love is just a transaction" buffoons are the same few posters recycling themselves. I would really hate to think that there are so many guys in the world that don't believe in caring, and friendship, and falling in love, or in creating communities.
A lot of men (and in fact a lot of women too) are like this. Here, we do get to hear their voices more because of the self-selection of people who have lots of time to spend here and who are unhappy about relationships.

There is that thing you see with online reviews, I think, where people with a complaint will go write a review to complain, more than people who have a pretty good experience will go write a positive review. Same forces at work here, with the high proportion of negative mojo. But I don't kid myself into thinking it's rare.

I mean, a lot of the stuff I personally now see as sad and kind of ignorant of what is possible...Some 5-10 years ago, I'd have agreed with them. I used to argue in favor of legal prostitution because it seemed a better deal than wining and dining women just for a ~chance~ at sex. I get that viewpoint. But I was also in a relationship I didn't want to be in, and forever trying to remind myself why I was there, convince myself that it wasn't that bad, and yeah...lots of score-keeping going on. It's easy to get kind of myopic and let your worldview be shaped by your circumstances.

So I can't be too hard on these folks. Even if I know how much better it can be. I hope they find it one day.

Old 07-12-2018, 08:29 AM

29,747 posts, read 34,396,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
But keep in mind that very few people actually lived or wanted to live in the Southeast/Southwest until the widespread availability of AC. When people talk about how the Sun Belt boomed, it's almost entirely a result of AC.

Quote:
So I can't be too hard on these folks. Even if I know how much better it can be. I hope they find it one day.
I do sympathize with people having a hard time, but at the same time as soon as they start quoting internet philosophies that are thisclose to being hate groups, I'm out.

Old 07-12-2018, 08:33 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,974,024 times
Quote:

I was in a lot of dark places in my 20s. Depressed. Negative. Thinking I saw the "real world" and how "relationships really work" while most people were naïve. After some tough love from good friends, I got help. Now I realize I lacked self awareness and I was just depressed, and flawed thought processes were reinforcing that depression and negativity. And even though I thought no one else could see how I was feeling inside and I was a "good guy" etc, the world kept pooping on me.

Well, everyone saw what I didn't think they saw. My seeing "reality" was my view through the goggles of depression.

I really how these people get the help they need. I slip sometimes, it's hard, but with avoiding self medicating, remembering what I learned (thought process wise) and exercising to keep the demons at bay, life is pretty darn good. I hope they find that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships