Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-26-2018, 02:32 PM

52,289 posts, read 52,723,379 times

Advertisements

I'm so out of touch with the latest trends. For a while now I've been noticing young professional white collar type men have taken to wearing dress slacks, but wearing them as high waters, or floods or whatever they are called. These guys wear their pants about 2 or 3 inches too short and wear colorful argyle type socks with them. At first I just saw the floods and figured 'meh' guy missed the boat on how to dress. Then as I've been seeing them around more I guess it's some kind of fashion statement. I hired on with an engineering/consulting/design firm only for the company to be purchased by probably the largest real estate development and management company in the country. Since doing that they've consolidated our offices and now we are located in an office with all of the hot shot upwardly mobile commercial real estate sales type crowd and I get to see all of the cool urban millennial types sportin their high waters.

So, long story short I guess it's cool now to wear pants that are too short.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2018, 03:33 PM

19,430 posts, read 15,255,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
I'm so out of touch with the latest trends. For a while now I've been noticing young professional white collar type men have taken to wearing dress slacks, but wearing them as high waters, or floods or whatever they are called. These guys wear their pants about 2 or 3 inches too short and wear colorful argyle type socks with them. At first I just saw the floods and figured 'meh' guy missed the boat on how to dress. Then as I've been seeing them around more I guess it's some kind of fashion statement. I hired on with an engineering/consulting/design firm only for the company to be purchased by probably the largest real estate development and management company in the country. Since doing that they've consolidated our offices and now we are located in an office with all of the hot shot upwardly mobile commercial real estate sales type crowd and I get to see all of the cool urban millennial types sportin their high waters.

Have you come across this yet?
Attached Thumbnails
CDR Chat Thread #31-a38aaa3b4b7a5bab8de1dfe1d6ee2153-1-.jpg  

Old 06-26-2018, 03:38 PM

10,341 posts, read 5,870,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaOfGrass View Post
Hahaha youre the best Sea.
Man Bun will work, isn't chows hair long enough for an up-do?

Chow, are the floods also skinny pants? I've been seeing that, dress pants that are the same style as skinny jeans, they have to be a little shorter or they wouldn't hit the top of the shoe right.

Just a guess.

Old 06-26-2018, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RbccL View Post
Man Bun will work, isn't chows hair long enough for an up-do?
I often try to convince him to put it up in a top pony, but he stubbornly refuses. lol! Says he has to put his foot down somewhere.

Old 06-26-2018, 05:00 PM

^^By the way, that would be just as a joke around the house. I'm not trying to convince him to go outside that way. lol

Old 06-26-2018, 06:15 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,893,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post

You know, I kinda like it on some guys. But not with socks. Only with sickles loafers, boat shoes or street sneakers and low socks. But it has to be skinny pants on a skinnier guy.

Also, socks are the latest statement piece for me. Tech guys all love their socks.

Old 06-27-2018, 04:22 AM

4,004 posts, read 2,084,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post
Frankly, I see things like the military as being the sort of busy-work we end up with, when robots have taken all the jobs. Not that I am shaming soldiers or diminishing the value of their hard work, but I feel like from a macro perspective, the big picture...when the machines are doing all of the growing, harvesting, building, manufacturing, repairing themselves and operating independently...well, the world leaders can always start a war, that'll give a bunch of people something to do. Destroy a bunch of infrastructure and all, so that then people can work on rebuilding it. Rinse, repeat. Not a very tidy way to go about managing the species, if you ask me.

And hey. Nobody does "work for work's sake" like the military. No one. My ex used to tell me that when we were stationed in Washington, the guys would get sent out, in the rain, into the parking lots with nothing but butter knives, to scrape the moss off the rocks and pavement. Uncle Sam will give you something to do. "Builds character."
Interesting prospect, but like in the movie 2001 A Space Odyssey, the world leader is a computer - there is only one, called 'The Monolith'. If we look at the movie The Matrix, who needs infrastructure as we know it? The humans become part of the machine or are destroyed. I never figured out what the machine got out of having humans plugged into it. The best I can come up with takes me back to the Old Testament - thought is energy, making the people similar to batteries for the machine.

If you want to see what your future might be, watch a sci-fi flick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by homina12 View Post
I was raised Catholic, which is a non Christian sect to many protestants, but still.
Protestants are amazing creatures aren't they? I was raised Baptist, and later converted to RC. To deny the very thing you 'protested', the thing which would make your existence null if it had never existed, lol. For me, I believe in God, and I would like to be like Jesus. I've had too many wonderful (as in WTF?? wonder) experiences to deny that entity's existence.

Maybe I am like Jesus, or maybe Jesus is a composition of every one of us. Let's take Satan, puzzling you is the nature of his game. Ive read how Jesus liked to puzzle people as well. I guess in the end it all comes down to choices then - the choices we make in response to the puzzling. The word outcome comes to mind again too. Satan = bad choices. Jesus = good choices.

Jesus would tell a gay person that his father (God) is against homosexuality, but then he would go on to converse, share a meal and be cordial with that person. A gay person may not want to here that God does not like his lifestyle, but no harm or ill-will would be put upon him by Jesus - at least so long as the gay person is not fornicating in his father's house (the Temple). When I am perplexed by my emotions, and I know this sounds silly, but I often ask myself, "What would Jesus do?"

To me, being a Christian means to try to be like Christ. I can follow a faith or sect, without agreeing with every single component, or every person's interpretation.

This is not to change anyone's personal opinions and/or beliefs, only to explain myself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by homina12 View Post
Regarding God's mysterious ways, at about age 14 I figured out that I had to buy into the mystery with all my heart, or buy into my feeling that the mystery was just a response to a the apparent contradiction that an all knowing and all loving God would allow all the malignancy we encounter. And all the smoting in the old testament. I chose to leave the church, but almost every day I wish I could accept the mystery.
I think any congregation is only as good as the people who congregate there. I do not attend often, and there are some who would use that to tell me I am not RC. Is that what Jesus would do?

I understand how you feel, Homina. Thanks for sharing your perspective.

Old 06-27-2018, 06:46 AM

16,225 posts, read 27,441,605 times
Anyone see any good movies recently?

Old 06-27-2018, 06:48 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,989,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaOfGrass View Post

Man buns went out like 2 years ago!

Old 06-27-2018, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Man buns went out like 2 years ago!
? It was a joke about the beehive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships