Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-06-2018, 02:52 PM

52,291 posts, read 52,723,379 times

Advertisements

Some guy almost took me out a couple of days ago on the freeway, he almost veered into my lane so I sped up to get around him I look in my rearview and this clown was looking down at his phone, yeah, of course he was. LOL. I know we've all been guilty of doing that at some point but I know personally that I just leave my phone in my pocket while I'm driving, that sucker goes off 20 times by the time I get home but it is what it is anymore.

I was just on the phone with our IT department and most of the time now they can now remotely manage your PC for you and they have been making company wide policy changes, some of which doesn't make any sense. Some of the stuff they are doing is great, they are setting up some auto backup to the company cloud so you don't have to worry so much anymore about that sorta thing. They are also removing local admin control and for the non-nerds out there that means you can't load software on your machine anymore, an IT help desk guy has to do it for you. For us that are tech savvy that is an issue, but whatever. The thing that has me scratching my head is they are disabling the USB write function, meaning you can't transfer files from your PC onto a thumb drive/ flash drive. I'm like WTF??? You can read files which I would think they'd want to do it the other way around if they are worried about network infiltration. I asked the guy how do I pass files to someone and he said email or drop box. So... WTF is the point?? LOL. I'm really scratching my head on that one. I can almost see it they are worried about sensitive data leaving our computers but if you can drop box it or email it it doesn't make much sense to disable the write function of the USB port. LOL, strange.

I got to figure people smarter than me have figured this out and must have some kind of logic behind it, love to know what that is, but whatever.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2018, 03:15 PM

20,398 posts, read 14,678,474 times
My company has done the same thing recently.

Funny thing is, it was years ago, like almost a decade ago, that I was hearing about USB devices arriving, packaged, made in another country, with viruses already on them. Which, if you plugged it into any machine, would instantly write to all available drives, and part of the virus's function would be to replicate itself to all available drives every few seconds or something. I vaguely recall that one of the devices I heard about having this issue was not even a thumb drive, it was a photo frame that you plugged into your computer and uploaded a bunch of family pictures (or whatever) onto its native storage, and it would cycle through them on your desk or whatever.

When word came the other day that my company was making this change, I wondered if the perceived threat (or worse, something that has happened, and is being reacted to) was similar to this?

I've been kind of suspicious of USB devices for a long time, after hearing that, but given our relations with other countries is not so very peachy nowadays I wonder if a foreign cyber threat has amped up now, or if that's just my tinfoil hat talking. I am close friends with a cyber-security nerd, with a pretty intense military background, so maybe I ought to ask him if he's heard anything...

Old 06-09-2018, 07:47 AM

26,700 posts, read 41,758,476 times
Wonder where Runningliketheives is? I gotta say his city is definitely growing on me. Jacksonville is treating me well so far. Seriously considering looking for jobs down here now that my mother is in better health and don’t really need to move closer to her.

Old 06-09-2018, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
Wonder where Runningliketheives is? I gotta say his city is definitely growing on me. Jacksonville is treating me well so far. Seriously considering looking for jobs down here now that my mother is in better health and don’t really need to move closer to her.
For me traffic and crowding are my concern, next would be cost of living. Of course weather too. I hear Florida can fit into that mix for some. Hope Jacksonville can fit the bill for you. I know that I want to get the ef out of So Cal, the qaulity of life here has been dropping year after year. It can take you litrerally an hour and forty five minutes to drive twenty miles. Ca is nice but it aint that damn nice.

Last edited by Chowhound; 06-09-2018 at 12:31 PM..

Old 06-09-2018, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
For me traffic and crowding are my concern, next would be cost of living. Of course weather too. I hear Florida can fit into that mix for some. Hope Jacksonville can fit the bill for you. I know that I want to get the ef out of So Cal, the qaulity of life here has been dropping year after year. It can take you litrerally an hour and forty five minutes to drive twenty miles. Ca is nice but it aint that damn nice.
Considering I live in Northern VA, almost anything would be an improvement on COL, traffic, and crowding.

Old 06-09-2018, 09:35 PM

Someone on Facebook shared a post and it was of a woman who was holding her baby that is apparently dying. She was asking for people to pray for the baby. The look of utter sadnesses and despair on this woman's face is haunting. My eyes just started leaking.... I couldn't imagine the pain that poor woman must feeling.....leaves a big ache in your chest.

Sorry to be a drag on a Saturday night

Old 06-09-2018, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
Someone on Facebook shared a post and it was of a woman who was holding her baby that is apparently dying. She was asking for people to pray for the baby. The look of utter sadnesses and despair on this woman's face is haunting. My eyes just started leaking.... I couldn't imagine the pain that poor woman must feeling.....leaves a big ache in your chest.

Sorry to be a drag on a Saturday night
Relax Chow. Over the past couple of days, I’ve been intently watching posts about a friend of several of my friends who is a beautiful young mother going through organ failure and we don’t even know if she’ll make it to an operating table to attempt a life saving transplant. Just a situation that makes me question, even as an atheist, who is running in the universe? You got disgusting monsters like Brock Turner in good health but this mother who hasn’t done a thing to anyone potentially having her number called up soon? I just don’t think the universe cares a bit about justice with that comparison.

Old 06-09-2018, 11:52 PM

2,822 posts, read 1,930,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
He's out of town for the weekend, that's where is!

What brings you to Jax? I read a post a while back where you said you were visiting and considering it as an option to move. Are you in town on business or just taking a trip?

I personally think you get a good amount for your money here. I moved from Southern California to come here, after getting a job offer. I was only in So Cal for a little over 3 years before that, but I figured I'd just come to Jacksonville. I could buy a house (which I did upon arrival), only have to pay on it for 15 years. It would have taken me 15 years to save up down payment money in California! Then I would have been 45 or 46 by that time.

I've been here just over 4.5 years now! I'm no longer working for that company, but I'm settled in Jax now and would only leave Oahu! Which probably isn't happening any time soon! We go to the beach a lot and I surf a lot, but surfing in Jacksonville/Florida isn't what it is in California!

Old 06-10-2018, 09:51 AM

29,748 posts, read 34,409,851 times
Travel Channel is running an Anthony Bourdain No Reservations marathon today. I always thought he was kind of a jackass, but I'm glad he was around doing his thing. His death is such a shock.

Old 06-10-2018, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runninglikethieves View Post
He's out of town for the weekend, that's where is!

What brings you to Jax? I read a post a while back where you said you were visiting and considering it as an option to move. Are you in town on business or just taking a trip?

I personally think you get a good amount for your money here. I moved from Southern California to come here, after getting a job offer. I was only in So Cal for a little over 3 years before that, but I figured I'd just come to Jacksonville. I could buy a house (which I did upon arrival), only have to pay on it for 15 years. It would have taken me 15 years to save up down payment money in California! Then I would have been 45 or 46 by that time.

I've been here just over 4.5 years now! I'm no longer working for that company, but I'm settled in Jax now and would only leave Oahu! Which probably isn't happening any time soon! We go to the beach a lot and I surf a lot, but surfing in Jacksonville/Florida isn't what it is in California!
Actually just a pleasure trip for my birthday, in fact on Jacksonville beach right now. The bang for the buck is definitely an attractive factor. It feels like a better organized Hampton Roads, VA. It is nowhere near as busy as DC, which I love. I got an AirBNB in Spring Park which at first glance isn’t the most inviting place for a newbie but one can appreciate with a second look. I think the same about Springfield.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships