Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-26-2019, 10:14 PM

2,483 posts, read 2,475,158 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RbccL View Post
I found a friend on bumble! This is the best invention ever! And we tried the New Mexican place across the street, and I’ve never laughed so hard in a long time. I feel like this is the best time in my life, I think we have to go through years (decades?) of crap to appreciate the little things. 🌻
Great news.

No gum on 2nd date though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2019, 12:11 PM

10,341 posts, read 5,866,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
Aw, I'm so glad to read this! Encouraging even. Hope things take of with your new friend. They will be lucky to have you for a friend too.
Thanks lady! Is it close to graduation time for you already?! See that struggle went by fast! 🏃
Quote:
Originally Posted by picardlx View Post
Great news.

No gum on 2nd date though.
Too late 😘

Old 04-27-2019, 01:02 PM

16,225 posts, read 27,431,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RbccL View Post
Thanks lady! Is it close to graduation time for you already?! See that struggle went by fast! 🏃
Indeed it is, can't believe it's almost time. I'm already job hunting, have an interview lined up for next week. So much anxiety right now!

Old 04-27-2019, 05:19 PM

8,923 posts, read 7,721,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
Good news.

Yeah, tough spot to be in.

You'd be surprised how many people end up working in fields that aren't totally related to their degrees. I would just work to get a job in or as near to your degree as you can and get a few years experience. That is the key for young people, just trying to get some time in and that starts to add to your resume.

I'm working in a field that is not what I went to school for. Things can come up and opportunities can appear and you can get something related to or at least you can see a logical connection to your degree. Sometimes you can end up in something where there is no way you could draw a direct line to what you went to school for.

It happens all the time.
I'm better now and a little more optimistic.

I was feeling the pressure and just thinking about how much this country pushes the college narrative. While conveniently leaving out the fact you need to grind and get as much experience as you can because no one is going to hire you right out of school. A lot of it is about who you know and how you network. Just having the knowledge isn't enough, I have to keep having this same conversation with my mom over and over. She seems to think a Bachelor's degree gives you a huge boost. It doesn't. It's the equivalent of a high school diploma these days.

Just have to bite the bullet and get in where you fit in. Looking at it in the grand scheme of things, I think that can be pretty dangerous. I believe it's how people end up working jobs they can't stand, and we could have doctor's and nurses with no passion for their career, and they end up unintentionally killing people. Let me stop....going off on a tangent.

Old 04-27-2019, 06:20 PM

52,263 posts, read 52,686,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
Indeed it is, can't believe it's almost time. I'm already job hunting, have an interview lined up for next week. So much anxiety right now!
A year and a few months ago I got a new position. I got my jobs in the past from people I knew and the interviewing process was just a formality. This current job was just responding to adds on indeed.com.

I flew up to Sacramento for one, they didn't hire me. The next one I blew the interview, in retrospect I know what I did wrong. The third I knew in my heart that I aced it. A week and a half later got a call with a job offer. It was like something you'd see in a movie. I owned that ****. Lol

Be confident, not cocky, know that you earned and deserve the right to be in the room with those folks.

Best of luck to you.

Old 04-30-2019, 11:19 PM

16,225 posts, read 27,431,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
A year and a few months ago I got a new position. I got my jobs in the past from people I knew and the interviewing process was just a formality. This current job was just responding to adds on indeed.com.

I flew up to Sacramento for one, they didn't hire me. The next one I blew the interview, in retrospect I know what I did wrong. The third I knew in my heart that I aced it. A week and a half later got a call with a job offer. It was like something you'd see in a movie. I owned that ****. Lol

Be confident, not cocky, know that you earned and deserve the right to be in the room with those folks.

Best of luck to you.
Thanks for the words of encouragement, I appreciate it.

I'm so close to the finish line with school, but the instructors are collectively CRAZY right now. I'm trying to squeeze two weeks worth of work into about four days. It's like the professors all coordinated the most work for the next few days, so it seems like finals week isn't even a thing anymore. Since they have one week from finals to post permanent grades, they want everything done to their convenience, weeks ahead, so they can grade at their leisure. I haven't seen anything like this. I'm at the point where I'm weighing which assignments I can let 'slide' just to keep some sort of balance.

Old 05-06-2019, 11:30 PM

5,419 posts, read 9,197,174 times
Nice to see that there are still a few people here answering the same relationship problems... lol

Old 05-08-2019, 02:39 PM

20,392 posts, read 14,661,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auraliea View Post
I'm better now and a little more optimistic.

I was feeling the pressure and just thinking about how much this country pushes the college narrative. While conveniently leaving out the fact you need to grind and get as much experience as you can because no one is going to hire you right out of school. A lot of it is about who you know and how you network. Just having the knowledge isn't enough, I have to keep having this same conversation with my mom over and over. She seems to think a Bachelor's degree gives you a huge boost. It doesn't. It's the equivalent of a high school diploma these days.

Just have to bite the bullet and get in where you fit in. Looking at it in the grand scheme of things, I think that can be pretty dangerous. I believe it's how people end up working jobs they can't stand, and we could have doctor's and nurses with no passion for their career, and they end up unintentionally killing people. Let me stop....going off on a tangent.
I think that a Bachelor's CAN give you a huge boost, but it's really situational. If you managed to get into a field (some fields) without a degree, and stayed in the same field for a bunch of years, then (again, depending on the field) you can become significantly more valuable and competitive for pay raises, promotions, and other opportunities with other employers in the same field...if you get a Bachelor's or maybe some certifications.

I didn't finish my Bachelor's. I was an Accounting major. I got a job that was related to Accounting, and then it narrowed to Analysis (I got to add "Analyst" to my resume which was neat) and the focus shifted to Energy Management. And now I do data analytics in that field. I consider myself to have a total of 18 years in "related" experience. And I'm doing pretty well for myself.

But I have applied for a couple of jobs over the (recent-ish) years that I did not get, because they "preferred" that "ideal" applicants would have at least a Bachelor's degree. My research indicates that I could be making almost twice as much money if I finish my degree. But the idea of going back to school, even online, let alone taking on more student debt...just...UGH. Ugh. And the schooling I had, was mostly a long time ago, and some of the subjects I'm pretty rusty on now, and some of the required courses to go forward, really build on material I barely remember.

All in all, I'm not sure that it's worth it, because my heart and soul isn't in this. It pays the bills alright, but I don't know if I truly want to invest in finishing a degree in it, and/or considering it my career for life. There are other options that speak more loudly to me, in terms of more awesomely using strengths that I have, things that feel more...meaningful. I'm putting off making any decisions until after my sons are grown and moved out though. Soon...soon...

Old 05-08-2019, 06:16 PM

880 posts, read 531,965 times
Feeling kinda crappy. I had my place on the market and it sold in under a week for a little under asking price. Then a backup offer came in full asking price cash buyer. We had to wait for a reason to kill the first deal and found one. I know I have to put my needs above a strangers, I need every penny I can get because I'm not working over the summer, but I cant help but feel like im doing a ****ty thing to them.

Old 05-08-2019, 06:22 PM

2,483 posts, read 2,475,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellybelly83 View Post
Feeling kinda crappy. I had my place on the market and it sold in under a week for a little under asking price. Then a backup offer came in full asking price cash buyer. We had to wait for a reason to kill the first deal and found one. I know I have to put my needs above a strangers, I need every penny I can get because I'm not working over the summer, but I cant help but feel like im doing a ****ty thing to them.
That's because it was. Time will heal though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships