Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2017, 08:08 AM

651 posts, read 409,977 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by marketa View Post
Allow me to disagree.. I live in a place where I had a hard time finding my kind of people, despite the fact that I'm quite outgoing. I moved here for work, not because I love the area. This is a small town with a more rural and conservative culture, and most people my age are married with kids; a large percentage of the locals are seniors, and those who are young and single are usually not college educated, which, for me, is a requirement. So yes, I am moving to a city to increase my chances of meeting someone, and no, I don't think that's desperate; I think it's logical.
This happens to be EXACTLY what I am dealing with Same story for me
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2017, 08:20 AM

10,216 posts, read 8,343,435 times
I was always told to stop pursuing beautiful women out of my league due to me being small and wearing glasses, seeing as they only want handsome men. I followed that advice and it's saved me a ton of time and heartache.

Old 07-07-2017, 08:47 AM

5,722 posts, read 5,821,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scribbles76 View Post
The odds are the same no matter the geography.
omg my eyes. This is 100 pct wrong.

That's like saying the entire US is all the same across the board, and everyone wants the same thing.

If I moved out of the declining population sausagefest rust belt I'd have more dates than I could ever want or need. I'm not a serial dater that's always looking for the better deal, so I don't really care...but if I moved the option would be there.

It takes me a lot of work to find someone I'm interested in, in my current area for a long term relationship.

Old 07-07-2017, 09:39 AM

14,373 posts, read 18,459,192 times
I'm not going to find someone no matter where I go because of some fundamental issues in my wiring. My upbringing did not gear me for relationships. But I think geography can make a huge difference.

Once I moved to Denver, I basically found myself going on multiple dates every week. In Jersey, it was a struggle to even get one date. That said, Denver is what I would call "Pleasure Island" - between the breweries, the concerts, the outdoor activities (skiing, camping, hiking, etc.), the pot and a ton of other activities/options, no one really is looking to get married. People come here to have fun. I am good with that.

Old 07-07-2017, 10:01 AM

426 posts, read 353,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JrzDefector View Post
I'm not going to find someone no matter where I go because of some fundamental issues in my wiring. My upbringing did not gear me for relationships. But I think geography can make a huge difference.

Once I moved to Denver, I basically found myself going on multiple dates every week. In Jersey, it was a struggle to even get one date. That said, Denver is what I would call "Pleasure Island" - between the breweries, the concerts, the outdoor activities (skiing, camping, hiking, etc.), the pot and a ton of other activities/options, no one really is looking to get married. People come here to have fun. I am good with that.
I love Denver! Colorado is definitly one of my favorite states. I have been to Colorado twice. If I ever moved, I feel like it would either be there, Utah or somewhere in Europe. I especially love the scenery in Colorado. It's so refreshing compared to being surrounded by big buildings over here with barely any nature and no national parks around here. There are a good selection of museums in Denver worth visiting. I've been to about 4 or 5 museums so far. If you go on a Friday that happens to fall on the first day of the month, all museums are free for that day and sometimes they have little parties or events that day. I have done zip lining out there which at first was scary but then I got the hang out it. I especially loved going to one bar that had mechanical bull riding and live country music, I had such a blast lol.
I tried Native American food for the first time, I fell in love with fry bread. I can't get that anywhere out here unless there is a powwow that would be the only way. Even the burgers were orgasmic because they just tasted more fresh out there compared to here.
I haven't dated out there but I have noticed that I had more people that seemed into me so who knows if I stayed there longer than 2 weeks or put myself more out there then maybe I would have gone out on a date.

Old 07-07-2017, 10:03 AM

14,373 posts, read 18,459,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yourgermanicanish View Post
I love Denver! Colorado is definitly one of my favorite states. I have been to Colorado twice. If I ever moved, I feel like it would either be there, Utah or somewhere in Europe. I especially love the scenery in Colorado. It's so refreshing compared to being surrounded by big buildings over here with barely any nature and no national parks around here. There are a good selection of museums in Denver worth visiting. I've been to about 4 or 5 museums so far. If you go on a Friday that happens to fall on the first day of the month, all museums are free for that day and sometimes they have little parties or events that day. I have done zip lining out there which at first was scary but then I got the hang out it. I especially loved going to one bar that had mechanical bull riding and live country music, I had such a blast lol.
I tried Native American food for the first time, I fell in love with fry bread. I can't get that anywhere out here unless there is a powwow that would be the only way. Even the burgers were orgasmic because they just tasted more fresh out there compared to here.
I haven't dated out there but I have noticed that I had more people that seemed into me so who knows if I stayed there longer than 2 weeks or put myself more out there then maybe I would have gone out on a date.
It kind of IS paradise for a certain type of person. It's really hard to be bored here.

Old 07-07-2017, 10:10 AM

426 posts, read 353,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JrzDefector View Post
It kind of IS paradise for a certain type of person. It's really hard to be bored here.
Yeah definitely! My family and friends don't seem to get what the hype is about Colorado but for me I love it lol. Even though there is a lot to do in NYC, I just feel like there are more options out west. Plus I can't do white water rafting out here, explore ghost towns, no Rocky Mountains etc. Strangers were very friendly with me, telling me good morning and having small conversation with me. I don't get that out here if anything there are a lot of rude individuals who look for fights half of the time lol. Now I miss Colorado like crazy. I wish I could go there sometime this year. Last time I've been there was about 3 years ago.

Old 07-07-2017, 10:18 AM

41,936 posts, read 37,171,503 times
Everyone I know who moved to CO absolutely adore it, and my friends in Boston from CO miss it incredibly. All that hiking and no insects? Sign me up!

Old 07-07-2017, 11:03 AM

1,713 posts, read 1,116,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderlust76 View Post
omg my eyes. This is 100 pct wrong.
My odds would be the same anywhere, good sir or indeed madam, because the situation wouldn't change. I don't 'put myself out there', as the saying goes, nor do I play the game at all. I'm much too busy figuring out how to be the best version of me to make time or space for anyone else in a life that's solitary by design.

Old 07-07-2017, 11:08 AM

22,278 posts, read 21,844,086 times
I think this is true only in the context of population density. When there are more people to meet, it is easier to meet more people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships