Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2017, 11:29 AM

777 posts, read 452,449 times

Advertisements

I live in a rural burb, with the closest larger towns being half-hour to an hour away. That made dating a little difficult because a lot of men simply couldn't be bothered to drive that distance, or split it even. But I am now seeing someone who lives almost an hour away. We make it work, because we really clicked and it's just worth it. I'm seeing a lot more of him than other guys I had relationships with who lived a lot closer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2017, 11:53 AM

16,961 posts, read 17,337,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marketa View Post
Allow me to disagree.. I live in a place where I had a hard time finding my kind of people, despite the fact that I'm quite outgoing. I moved here for work, not because I love the area. This is a small town with a more rural and conservative culture, and most people my age are married with kids; a large percentage of the locals are seniors, and those who are young and single are usually not college educated, which, for me, is a requirement. So yes, I am moving to a city to increase my chances of meeting someone, and no, I don't think that's desperate; I think it's logical.
So, you'd quit your job, move out of house and home on a gut feeling that you will "possibly" increase your chances in finding your unique type? And what if the next place doesn't yield your type? Are you going to keep on moving? That doesn't sound logical to me at ALL.

With the advent of computers and the ultimate power of the internet. One can find their "kind of people" regardless of location (meet and possible relocate- if things get serious)..... now that sounds logical, to me.. no need to quit your job, rent a uhaul, sell your home/break a lease, find another job, etc.

Old 07-07-2017, 12:00 PM

229 posts, read 463,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiiancoconut View Post
So, you'd quit your job, move out of house and home on a gut feeling that you will "possibly" increase your chances in finding your unique type? And what if the next place doesn't yield your type? Are you going to keep on moving? That doesn't sound logical to me at ALL.

With the advent of computers and the ultimate power of the internet. One can find their "type" regardless of location (meet and possible relocate- if things get serious)..... now that sounds logical, to me.. no need to quit your job, rent a uhaul, sell your home/break a lease, find another job, etc.
I actually did just that - quit my job and now moving. Luckily for me, I work in an industry in which I can find a job in any state pretty much. So I'll be traveling the country. There is never a guarantee, and I am not sure I will meet The One, but at least I can tell myself I did what I logically could do to increase my chances. Plus, I think living in different states is a great personal and professional experience (I get 13 month work assignments in cities across the country). I know I am particularly lucky to have this opportunity and I'm definitely taking advantage of it! Being in this small, boring town kills my spirit. I wasn't able to meet anyone I clicked with here, not even for friendship. So if by traveling I find romance, that would be nice, but even if I get only the travel and new friendships out of this, that's better than being stuck in a hole and being too lazy/afraid to get out!

Old 07-07-2017, 12:07 PM

41,937 posts, read 36,951,955 times
Quote:

With the advent of computers and the ultimate power of the internet. One can find their "kind of people" regardless of location (meet and possible relocate- if things get serious)..... now that sounds logical, to me.. no need to quit your job, rent a uhaul, sell your home/break a lease, find another job, etc.

Eh, I haven't moved to meet "the one", but I have lived places (sup Western KY (and others)) where I moved away from despite the job because socially it was so backwards. Jobs and career is important, but not more important than socializing.

Old 07-07-2017, 12:15 PM

16,961 posts, read 17,337,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marketa View Post
I actually did just that - quit my job and now moving. Luckily for me, I work in an industry in which I can find a job in any state pretty much. So I'll be traveling the country. There is never a guarantee, and I am not sure I will meet The One, but at least I can tell myself I did what I logically could do to increase my chances. Plus, I think living in different states is a great personal and professional experience (I get 13 month work assignments in cities across the country). I know I am particularly lucky to have this opportunity and I'm definitely taking advantage of it! Being in this small, boring town kills my spirit. I wasn't able to meet anyone I clicked with here, not even for friendship. So if by traveling I find romance, that would be nice, but even if I get only the travel and new friendships out of this, that's better than being stuck in a hole and being too lazy/afraid to get out!
I see, your circumstances are unique (the exception). Most people who struggle at finding their type do not have that luxury/freedom.

What will happen if you do meet the "one" in a small boring town in your travels?

Old 07-07-2017, 12:22 PM

651 posts, read 407,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scribbles76 View Post
My odds would be the same anywhere, good sir or indeed madam, because the situation wouldn't change. I don't 'put myself out there', as the saying goes, nor do I play the game at all. I'm much too busy figuring out how to be the best version of me to make time or space for anyone else in a life that's solitary by design.
With all due respect, nowhere did your original post indicate that you were speaking strictly about yourself

Old 07-07-2017, 12:26 PM

52,247 posts, read 52,655,546 times
This thought never crossed my mind.

Old 07-07-2017, 12:57 PM

3,426 posts, read 3,342,832 times
I'll have to admit that I had less trouble dating when I lived in South Carolina than in New York/New Jersey. But then again, I was younger (late 20s) when I was in SC, attending school and working. This was before the internet, before cell phones, etc. (1989-'90-'91). I collected phone numbers, got dates, etc.

Seems the further away from the NY/NJ region, the friendlier the people.

Old 07-07-2017, 01:02 PM

651 posts, read 407,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsRick24 View Post
I'll have to admit that I had less trouble dating when I lived in South Carolina than in New York/New Jersey. But then again, I was younger (late 20s) when I was in SC, attending school and working. This was before the internet, before cell phones, etc. (1989-'90-'91). I collected phone numbers, got dates, etc.

Seems the further away from the NY/NJ region, the friendlier the people.
That is exactly true!

Old 07-07-2017, 02:46 PM

9,301 posts, read 8,345,409 times
Quote:
Ive been to and lived in numerous places, domestic and abroad, and never struggled in finding a woman to date. Not to say it easy, because dating has never been easy, for either gender.

I would never relocate for dating purposes; I find that extreme, and quite frankly... desperate. But that's just me.
That's awesome. I like when I hear things like this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships