Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2017, 05:54 AM

310 posts, read 202,839 times

Advertisements

I'm 61, and I'm sorry, I find extensive tattoos on women more like graffitti than anything attractive. On legs, arms, neck, chest, etc. They can be portraits, the Declaration of Independence, skulls, you name it. I don't understand the need to presumably and permanently deface skin like this. Small, discreet tattoos I can understand, but sprawling inkmarks seem a risk if after a few years they are perhaps no longer as relevant a "statement" as before. Am I such a totally old dork thinking like this? Is it just a passing, generational thing? I hope so. I apologize to tattoo aficiandos, but that's how I feel.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2017, 06:47 AM

6,915 posts, read 3,951,965 times
Read the TOS. They don't allow tattoo threads on this board.

Old 09-23-2017, 06:52 AM

310 posts, read 202,839 times
whoops, sorry.

Old 09-23-2017, 06:53 AM

5,189 posts, read 5,336,773 times
I never thought of it much. Tattoos have been around thousands of years. It is an art form. I agree some are tacky, but that's just my personal aesthetics. People should do what they want. It doesn't have to meet my approval. I have some ink, none of which is visible if I have a shirt on. Just as with clothes, jewelry and makeup, people have adorned themselves with tattoos forever.

Old 09-23-2017, 06:55 AM

5,189 posts, read 5,336,773 times
Did not know this was against TOS. That's on me. Sorry.

Old 09-23-2017, 07:01 AM

11,395 posts, read 24,456,213 times
I read the TOS and the thread that is specific to this forum. I did not see anything about tattoos.

As for the OP, which we're supposed to stick to: it's an issue of personal taste. Plenty of people have them. Many others don't. If you're looking for someone you want to date, stick to the people whose taste matches yours; or be prepared to accept someone for who they are.

Old 09-23-2017, 07:45 AM

15,074 posts, read 10,105,001 times
Also depends on locale.

Around here there lots of very attractive normal people who are heavily tattooed; even professionals working in the office. I noticed most people that I've run into have tattoos of some manner (almost feel like I'm the exception without one). There are at least 5 tattoo parlors in my immediate area.

As such, tattoos are more accepting by society here and influencing what people think of as attractive or not.

Some of the art is beautiful. Everyone has dating preferences... and are entitled to them.

Old 09-23-2017, 08:05 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,258,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ContraPagan View Post
Read the TOS. They don't allow tattoo threads on this board.
They’re fine on the Relationships forum. Fashion & Beauty does not allow them.

That said, the OP should just date people without tattoos.

He’s old enough to know he cannot force other people not to get tattoos.

Old 09-23-2017, 08:09 AM

130,332 posts, read 12,105,905 times
I personally do not have any tattoos, & would likely never get one, but if someone else wants one, that is fine. It is not my business. Op just needs to date people who do not have one, I think they (non tattoo folk) are probably in the majority anyhow.

Old 09-23-2017, 08:15 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,251,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westegg View Post
I'm 61, and I'm sorry, I find extensive tattoos on women more like graffitti than anything attractive. On legs, arms, neck, chest, etc. They can be portraits, the Declaration of Independence, skulls, you name it. I don't understand the need to presumably and permanently deface skin like this. Small, discreet tattoos I can understand, but sprawling inkmarks seem a risk if after a few years they are perhaps no longer as relevant a "statement" as before. Am I such a totally old dork thinking like this? Is it just a passing, generational thing? I hope so. I apologize to tattoo aficiandos, but that's how I feel.

You are free to like or dislike anything just like everyone else is and to solve your issue, don't date women you don't like but don't assume your opinion of their tattoo(s) mean anything to anyone but you.
You have no idea why anyone gets a tattoo and any *statement* made by a tattoo is relevant to the one who has the tattoo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships