Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-23-2017, 07:02 PM

310 posts, read 204,385 times

Advertisements

Never expected this many replies, but it's been an education.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2017, 07:23 PM

2,752 posts, read 2,776,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AprilFlowers17 View Post
So, what do you think about nose piercings? Like with a little diamond stud? Have you ever seen this kind of piercing on a woman? What do you think about it?
A relative, in her early 70s, has one. It's tiny, barely noticeable, but it's there and it makes her look trashy. I still love her, of course, she's been a major influence in my religious beliefs, but it's difficult to look at her. I don't see her too often, so that helps. People are weird sometimes, and we must all overlook things we don't like about others, as I'm sure others do for me. But it remains that I find nose rings hideously disgusting.

Old 09-23-2017, 07:26 PM

926 posts, read 677,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metaphysique View Post
Well, for starters, it's only "mutilating" the body according to those with your particular brand of thought. The rest of us just see it as a form of art that we happen to like. If you don't like them you're free to look elsewhere. It's not that difficult.

"Seriously" as in...servicemembers aren't taken seriously in their jobs, or the ER physician with a full sleeve isn't trusted to take care of patients, or parents don't trust tattooed educators to teach algebra and trig? Like, what does this even look like? Because someone has tattoos, you can't take them seriously, but in what context?
The part in your post I've bolded in red is nearly identical to what I said to another poster who claims that people who have a lot of tattoos are 'low class' people. Then MsMetal defended him, saying how what he said didn't mean that he would 'discriminate' against someone with a lot of tattoos if it involved saving his life or giving him medical attention. I told her that she was right because at the time, I thought I might've been a little harsh on that poster and because I sometimes tend to be impulsive with my responses when it involves something that comes close to my heart.

But, the more I think about it, the more I feel that if someone is that judgmental towards someone who has a lot of ink (I mean seriously, they're not murderers, rapists, abusers, pedos, thieves, etc.), then they should ONLY receive medical care from a 'non-tattoed' person. That would serve them right. This might be an immature way to look at it, but whatever. I happen to know a few heavily tatted people that I love and care for a lot...and who I would give my life to protect. So, whenever I read posts like that, it touches a nerve in me and I just...react to it.

Old 09-23-2017, 07:27 PM

2,752 posts, read 2,776,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metaphysique View Post
Well, for starters, it's only "mutilating" the body according to those with your particular brand of thought. The rest of us just see it as a form of art that we happen to like. If you don't like them you're free to look elsewhere. It's not that difficult.

Lol. What? Who is "they" here? That doesn't even make sense. What is this supposed to look like? Random stranger diverting their gaze at the sight of someone with tattoos? In what world does this happen? I've lived on the East Coast and West Coast, in many different cities, and never has anyone suggested they were so put off by the mere sight of tattoos. And most grown people don't feel the need to ask random strangers if they want to check out their body art. How is that supposed to play out? Ask the restaurant server or barista if she wants to check out my tree of life and Goddess tattoo? Just for fun?

"Seriously" as in...servicemembers aren't taken seriously in their jobs, or the ER physician with a full sleeve isn't trusted to take care of patients, or parents don't trust tattooed educators to teach algebra and trig? Like, what does this even look like? Because someone has tattoos, you can't take them seriously, but in what context? Not knowing the location of the international date line or all fifty state capitals?

I guess one could retort that it's nearly impossible to take anyone seriously who makes baseless assumptions and assertions about anyone based solely on their appearance.

Just so you know, outside the realm of internet randos from bob knows where, I've never had anyone refuse to take me seriously, in any sense or context.

Actually, the last sentence is more like an assertion with no basis.

I'm expressing an opinion, as the OP asked for opinions when they started the thread.

I do think you're protesting a little too much.

It's off putting to me. You like it, I do not. That's life.

Old 09-23-2017, 07:31 PM

7,400 posts, read 6,402,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen88 View Post
I'm expressing an opinion, as the OP asked for opinions when they started the thread.

I do think you're protesting a little too much.

It's off putting to me. You like it, I do not. That's life.
Your "opinion" is ludicrous when you're making ignorant and illogical assertions. If you don't like having them challenged, don't share 'em.

Old 09-23-2017, 07:39 PM

7,400 posts, read 6,402,848 times
Quote:
The part in your post I've bolded in red is nearly identical to what I said to another poster who claims that people who have a lot of tattoos are 'low class' people. Then MsMetal defended him, saying how what he said didn't mean that he would 'discriminate' against someone with a lot of tattoos if it involved saving his life or giving him medical attention. I told her that she was right because at the time, I thought I might've been a little harsh on that poster and because I sometimes tend to be impulsive with my responses when it involves something that comes close to my heart.

But, the more I think about it, the more I feel that if someone is that judgmental towards someone who has a lot of ink (I mean seriously, they're not murderers, rapists, abusers, pedos, thieves, etc.), then they should ONLY receive medical care from a 'non-tattoed' person. That would serve them right. This might be an immature way to look at it, but whatever. I happen to know a few heavily tatted people that I love and care for a lot...and who I would give my life to protect. So, whenever I read posts like that, it touches a nerve in me and I just...react to it.
That tatted physician probably doesn't know how to use a stethoscope. If only he/she didn't have tattoos, then certain people could take them seriously and trust their skills, or something.

And that lawyer with a tattoo here and there. Does anyone really take them seriously, or are they an alternative lawyer? Gosh, if only he/she could be taken seriously.

If one is unable to expound on what that actually means, it's very likely because it's illogical and patently nonsensical.

Old 09-23-2017, 07:43 PM

9,229 posts, read 8,602,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westegg View Post
I'm 61, and I'm sorry, I find extensive tattoos on women more like graffitti than anything attractive. On legs, arms, neck, chest, etc. They can be portraits, the Declaration of Independence, skulls, you name it. I don't understand the need to presumably and permanently deface skin like this. Small, discreet tattoos I can understand, but sprawling inkmarks seem a risk if after a few years they are perhaps no longer as relevant a "statement" as before. Am I such a totally old dork thinking like this? Is it just a passing, generational thing? I hope so. I apologize to tattoo aficiandos, but that's how I feel.

I don't imagine they care whether you like them or not.

My motto: if you don't like something, don't do it.

Just curious. How do you feel about men's tats?

Old 09-23-2017, 07:44 PM

926 posts, read 677,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LookinForMayberry View Post
I don't imagine they care whether you like them or not.
Damn! lol

Old 09-23-2017, 07:46 PM

36,753 posts, read 14,917,584 times
Quote:

But, the more I think about it, the more I feel that if someone is that judgmental towards someone who has a lot of ink (I mean seriously, they're not murderers, rapists, abusers, pedos, thieves, etc.), then they should ONLY receive medical care from a 'non-tattoed' person. That would serve them right. This might be an immature way to look at it, but whatever . I happen to know a few heavily tatted people that I love and care for a lot...and who I would give my life to protect. So, whenever I read posts like that, it touches a nerve in me and I just...react to it.
You're right. It's an immature way to look at it.

Old 09-23-2017, 07:49 PM

8,165 posts, read 8,578,697 times
Quote:
So, what do you think about nose piercings?<>
The only piercings that bother me are the ones that go through places I thought were solid bone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships