Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-23-2017, 09:05 PM

7,400 posts, read 6,402,848 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaOfGrass View Post
I knew this would come into question, but there is more than one definition. And I don't care what many religious and orthodox followers say. I don't care about any religious views on it. I'm just going by the dictionary(s).

You're (in general) purposely poking holes through the skin, or poking holes and injecting a foreign object/material, I would call that mutilation, no matter how harmless it may be. It's damaging the body, no matter how trivial. Like I said, I've done it, so I'm not all up in arms about it. But it's still a fact.
Well, maybe you have your own definition.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2017, 09:09 PM

19,481 posts, read 15,376,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Here a large part of people getting ink is cultural. If I stayed away from people with tats..... well, I'd have to say home.

Exactly. I swear, where we live, I'm hard-pressed to find ANYONE without a tattoo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
]I could care less if my ER doc has tattoos, that is hardly a qualification of medical expertise.
I actually posted about this in the past, about a female ER doctor. I was surprised it was "allowed" at first, but she was great, so it didn't make a difference to me. I was just grateful for her knowledge, skill, experience, demeanor, etc.

Old 09-23-2017, 09:09 PM

52,457 posts, read 53,025,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metaphysique View Post
Well, they do with their clothes and uniform on. Who said anything about not wearing proper workplace attire? My dear friend is a professor with a huge back tattoo. It stands to reason it is fully covered 99% of the time.

Some of these comments are downright laughable. They make it seem like most folks with tattoos have them on their face and neck, in places that require more than clothing to cover up.

Most professionals look professional in their professional work attire that likely covers their "unprofessional" tattoos.
Yes... I agree... one can have tats and still be fine. I purposely said earlier to another poster who made a blancket statement that peope with tats are "low class".... I mean come on... lets' be real here.

I just say that in general and we've talked about this before that a person who's an engineer, architect or project manger, all the types I deal with for work aren't sporting HUGE sleeves... let's be real here that doesn't happen... do tattoos happen, of course.. I have one myself... I went into an ER room about a year or so ago and the doc, who was problably 29 or so, had a smallish tat on her wrist..... I get it, they exist, no problem.

It's all about moderation and in 2017 once you get out of So Cal or Nor Cal having long sleeve tats and or facial tats just isn't a good path to management...

Lets keep it real here....

Old 09-23-2017, 09:11 PM

2,822 posts, read 1,943,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
Yeah, tats are so ubiquitous anymore that not having them will probably be the next new thing. Yes, I do realize that tats in some form have been around forever before any tattoo fan feels the need to correct me.
Tattoos seem to be one of those things that seem to go in and out of style/popularity, every so many years. I've never been one to care about what's in or follow a crowd or trend, so that means nothing to me. It does seem that they've probably been more accepted than ever, during the most recent rise in popularity, at least in America.

My cousin had a lot of tattoos, back in the late 80's and through the 90's, when he was one of the only people I knew with more than a one or two tattoos. My dad was around the same age and had 2 or 3, which he had gotten in the early 80's, and never got anymore.

Many WW2 vets had/have tattoos. My best friend's grandfather was a Korean war vet. He's probably close to mid-80's and he has a bunch of tattoos, all from the 50's. Some of them aren't that bad, in both quality and preservation. A couple look nicely done, but a bit faded from the years.

Old 09-23-2017, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Well, they do with their clothes and uniform on. Who said anything about not wearing proper workplace attire? My dear friend is a professor with a huge back tattoo. It stands to reason it is fully covered 99% of the time.

Some of these comments are downright laughable. They make it seem like most folks with tattoos have them on their face and neck, in places that require more than clothing to cover up.

Most professionals look professional in their professional work attire that likely covers their "unprofessional" tattoos.
But if it's okay to have them, why wouldn't it be okay to show them? Isn't that the whole point? If we couldn't see them, what would it matter? Why should they be hidden?

Again, where we live, there are tons of face/neck/or other-placed tattoos that are visible to the general public.

Quote:
Well, maybe you have your own definition.
No, I don't have my own dictionary. I'm just referencing them. There are varying definitions.

Old 09-23-2017, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runninglikethieves View Post
Tattoos seem to be one of those things that seem to go in and out of style/popularity, every so many years. I've never been one to care about what's in or follow a crowd or trend, so that means nothing to me. It does seem that they've probably been more accepted than ever, during the most recent rise in popularity, at least in America.

My cousin had a lot of tattoos, back in the late 80's and through the 90's, when he was one of the only people I knew with more than a one or two tattoos. My dad was around the same age and had 2 or 3, which he had gotten in the early 80's, and never got anymore.

Many WW2 vets had/have tattoos. My best friend's grandfather was a Korean war vet. He's probably close to mid-80's and he has a bunch of tattoos, all from the 50's. Some of them aren't that bad, in both quality and preservation. A couple look nicely done, but a bit faded from the years.
Tattoos have a varied background and history, I get it, I've acknowledged that to some degree upthread.

I personally have a tat.. I'm not making judgments about tats in general... I just personally take a bit of umbrage when a person has so many that you don't notice them, but you see "tattoo" It's like when you see a person with a full sleeve all you see is "ink", but again, whatever, it's just a conversation talking point at this point because in real life I couldn't really give a F less......

Does that make any sense????

Old 09-23-2017, 09:29 PM

7,400 posts, read 6,402,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
Yes... I agree... one can have tats and still be fine. I purposely said earlier to another poster who made a blancket statement that peope with tats are "low class".... I mean come on... lets' be real here.

I just say that in general and we've talked about this before that a person who's an engineer, architect or project manger, all the types I deal with for work aren't sporting HUGE sleeves... let's be real here that doesn't happen... do tattoos happen, of course.. I have one myself... I went into an ER room about a year or so ago and the doc, who was problably 29 or so, had a smallish tat on her wrist..... I get it, they exist, no problem.

It's all about moderation and in 2017 once you get out of So Cal or Nor Cal having long sleeve tats and or facial tats just isn't a good path to management...

Lets keep it real here....
What do you mean "it doesn't happen" just because you haven't observed it? It depends on the workplace. I have developer and programmer friends with extensive work. One used to work for Blizzard, and the other a software developer working in SD. My previous SO had a handful of tattoos and was planning a half sleeve, and he was a senior software developer at the time we were together. How many walk into an interview for most white collar jobs in short-sleeved shirts, tank tops and shorts, exposing considerable amounts of skin? I mean, really.

Old 09-23-2017, 09:34 PM

Quote:
What do you mean "it doesn't happen" just because you haven't observed it? It depends on the workplace. I have developer and programmer friends with extensive work. One used to work for Blizzard, and the other a software developer working in SD. My previous SO had a handful of tattoos and was planning a half sleeve, and he was a senior software developer at the time we were together. How many walk into an interview for most white collar jobs in short-sleeved shirts, tank tops and shorts, exposing considerable amounts of skin? I mean, really.
Ok..

I'm just saying my experience sitting in meetings with professionals across various disciplines for 25 plus years...

YMMV.

I really don't have a dog in the fight... I personally couldn't care less... I mean that in the purest sense... I couldn't care less. I'm just reporting what I see and my experience.

If tats become more open and acceptable in my crowd, fine... LOL... again.. I just don't have a given argument either way.... LOL...

Old 09-23-2017, 09:34 PM

1,020 posts, read 815,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AprilFlowers17 View Post
The part in your post I've bolded in red is nearly identical to what I said to another poster who claims that people who have a lot of tattoos are 'low class' people. Then MsMetal defended him, saying how what he said didn't mean that he would 'discriminate' against someone with a lot of tattoos if it involved saving his life or giving him medical attention. I told her that she was right because at the time, I thought I might've been a little harsh on that poster and because I sometimes tend to be impulsive with my responses when it involves something that comes close to my heart.

But, the more I think about it, the more I feel that if someone is that judgmental towards someone who has a lot of ink (I mean seriously, they're not murderers, rapists, abusers, pedos, thieves, etc.), then they should ONLY receive medical care from a 'non-tattoed' person. That would serve them right. This might be an immature way to look at it, but whatever. I happen to know a few heavily tatted people that I love and care for a lot...and who I would give my life to protect. So, whenever I read posts like that, it touches a nerve in me and I just...react to it.
Just to clarify, I did not say that he didn't mean that. I have no idea what he/she meant; I didn't write it. I said that I thought it was a leap to jump from I don't like something to I wouldn't accept lifesaving treatment from someone who had/does the thing I don't like. That was a real stretch for me. There's a difference between personal preferences & discrimination against those who don't meet our preferences.

We all make judgements all the time based on appearances. I don't mind tattoos personally. But I do make a judgement about face & neck tattoos. It may be wrong. I probably shouldn't do it, but I do. I can't help associate it with certain things. That doesn't mean if my surgeon has a neck tattoo, I wouldn't accept treatment from him or her. But I still wouldn't like their neck tattoo. I would probably learn something from the encounter about my bias.

I mean, I think chewing with your mouth open is low class. I can easily think of a whole slew of things I think are low class, but that doesn't mean I refuse to do business or have my life saved by someone who chews with their mouth open or wears a 'wifebeater' or any of the other things I think are low class.

Old 09-23-2017, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsMetal View Post
I mean, I think chewing with your mouth open is low class. I can easily think of a whole slew of things I think are low class, but that doesn't mean I refuse to do business or have my life saved by someone who chews with their mouth open or wears a 'wifebeater' or any of the other things I think are low class.
Lol, I love to chew gum. And yet whenever I see someone chewing gum, especially the lazy open-mouthed cud-chewing style, it just looks so sloppy and trashy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships