Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-24-2017, 06:15 PM

52,427 posts, read 52,966,367 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metaphysique View Post
But even "trite" doesn't make sense as a "nicer" dig. It's used to suggest it's cliche, often by generations that frown upon it due to their cultural/social/religious upbringings, etc. But they're fools if they think some of the things they adopted in later years aren't also cliche now. Just about everything more acceptable nowadays is commonplace. What makes something interesting or eye-catching, in this context, runs counter to the status quo. When only few groups were associated with the fashion sense or lifestyle. Of course they weren't trite, they were rebels, misfits, trouble makers, counterculture, etc. Then social stigmas changed and now they represent a larger portion of society.

Your grandmothers and/or late great-grandmothers likely weren't hanging out in bikinis and wearing trousers in their day, and when the day came and women had more options, older generations very likely saw them as worldly trends.

Just last spring my MIL was commenting on the time when she was allowed to wear culottes and not dresses and skirts. She's 67. It could be easily said that changes in women's fashion are "just" trends, but it would be silly. Even when I was part of a culture that promoted strict modesty of only dresses and skirts, I knew the turn away from such modest principles are no longer regarded as "trends." They were simply "worldly" cultural shifts.

Unless we become the Republic of Gilead, we're unlikely to return to the days of culottes and super modest dresses and skirts.
This is how I'm using the word. I suppose if we look hard enough we can find an insult in there. Making a fairly accurate observation these days has now morphed into insults. I guess the need for therapy dogs and hot chocolate and safe spaces is coming home to roost

Trite | Define Trite at Dictionary.com

lacking in freshness or effectiveness because of constant use or excessive repetition; hackneyed; stale:
the trite phrases in his letter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2017, 06:25 PM

7,400 posts, read 6,396,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
Not sure what your point is, yeah, most things in life are banal and trite. Long hair on a guy is banal and trite, whatever. I have no problem aiming the trite comment at myself. LOL
My point is, you say these things like it's supposed to mean something other than it's simply commonplace like many other things. I'm sure I could spot several short-haired women at the grocery. So...? Are we not supposed to see commonplace things in areas where they're commonplace?

I didn't chop off my hair because it's cool and/or commonplace. I cut my hair super short and dyed it silver simply because I wanted to, and wanted to remove my chemically relaxed hair. Just like I don't wear makeup on occasion "to fit in," I wear it because I want to.

Quote:
As most trends come and go things go from cool and fresh to banal in a cylindrical pattern, whatever.
Yes, like fashion trends and styles. I doubt the shift from untrite one-piece to trite bikini will suddenly fall out of favor in two decades, but maybe past generations hoped it would happen. No such luck.

The only people who feel strongly that other people's decisions are simply the result of trends are the ones who feel irrationally strongly about other people's business. They reduce it to mere "trends" because they feel strongly against it, as if it actually concerns them.

Like the one dude in the fashion/beauty subforum who got up in arms about short hair on women being a silly, ugly trend. Mom jeans were a trend, and mohawk hairstyles, and crushed velvet clothing, and crocs, their life cycle relatively short. Audrey Hepburn rocked short hair. It was popularized decades ago. It's no longer a trend. Just because you don't like it, doesn't make it a trend that will soon pass.

Some of us don't make choices because they're "cool" and trendy. Really.

Old 09-24-2017, 06:35 PM

Quote:
This is how I'm using the word. I suppose if we look hard enough we can find an insult in there. Making a fairly accurate observation these days has now morphed into insults. I guess the need for therapy dogs and hot chocolate and safe spaces is coming home to roost

Trite | Define Trite at Dictionary.com

lacking in freshness or effectiveness because of constant use or excessive repetition; hackneyed; stale:
the trite phrases in his letter.
You still don't get it. Yes, stale, cliche, etc., I understand what you're saying, but do you understand that just about everything acceptable or commonplace today, can also be regarded as trite. Just like the previous poster said. Your strawman won't work here. I'm not boohooing and getting sad, I'm addressing your narrow focus on tattoos being "trite" when a ****-ton of formerly stigmatized or unpopular fashion styles/choices/lifestyles, etc., are also "trite."

Your "Oh my bob, I saw, like, all these women with tattoos at the grocery store. How cliche."

This assumes tattoos are supposed to be inherently noteworthy and interesting to anyone other than the wearer. Tattoos haven't been noteworthy since the social stigma shifted. And their noteworthiness wasn't exactly the positive kind before the shift.

Old 09-24-2017, 06:41 PM

Quote:
You still don't get it. Yes, stale, cliche, etc., I understand what you're saying, but do you understand that just about everything acceptable or commonplace today, can also be regarded as trite. Just like the previous poster said. Your strawman won't work here. I'm not boohooing and getting sad, I'm addressing your narrow focus on tattoos being "trite" when a ****-ton of formerly stigmatized or unpopular fashion styles/choices/lifestyles, etc., are also "trite."

Your "Oh my bob, I saw, like, all these women with tattoos at the grocery store. How cliche."

This assumes tattoos are supposed to be inherently noteworthy and interesting to anyone other than the wearer. Tattoos haven't been noteworthy since the social stigma shifted. And their noteworthiness wasn't exactly the positive kind before the shift.
Do you do this same level of overthinking something in real life as you do on here?? LOL. I simply said tats are commonplace today, that was it, nothing heavier or deeper. No nuances, simple plain face value of the accurate definition of the word. Not meant as a dig, just sayin....

I do get it, btw, it's not a rocket science argument you present here. I wasn't pulling a strawman arugment. My comment was directly presented without distortion or shifting of the narrative.

Old 09-24-2017, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Do you do this same level of overthinking something in real life as you do on here?? LOL.
Is countering silly assumptions and thinly veiled judgments about other people's choices overthinking, or is that what it's called when met with resistance? C'mon, you should know my M.O. by now.

Quote:
I simply said tats are commonplace today, that was it, nothing heavier or deeper. No nuances, simple plain face value of the accurate definition of the word. Not meant as a dig, just sayin....
You've actually said a lot more, but okay. You've even stated "most people" should have professional appearances, yada, yada, yada. If tattoos are commonplace and no big deal, especially given your neck of the woods, why do you think you have a say in what other people do, according to your taste.

I've noticed that you'll claim a neutral position up to a certain point, and later expound on it with something entirely inconsistent. If it's "live and let live" then why care about what others do, even if it's not to your liking. We get it. You and others think it's cliche. A lot of things are. Good thing a lot of people don't make choices based on what's fresh and cool, and no doubt, things that are regarded as such aren't necessarily well-received.

Quote:
I do get it, btw, it's not a rocket science argument you present here. I wasn't pulling a strawman arugment. My comment was directly presented without distortion or shifting of the narrative.
You can think that. You call it "looking for insults," or you'll turn it into "people and their PC feelings" when not a thing I said is about feelings. Stop playing.

Old 09-24-2017, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Is countering silly assumptions and thinly veiled judgments about other people's choices overthinking, or is that what it's called when met with resistance? C'mon, you should know my M.O. by now.

You've actually said a lot more, but okay. You've even stated "most people" should have professional appearances, yada, yada, yada. If tattoos are commonplace and no big deal, especially given your neck of the woods, why do you think you have a say in what other people do, according to your taste.

I've noticed that you'll claim a neutral position up to a certain point, and later expound on it with something entirely inconsistent. If it's "live and let live" then why care about what others do, even if it's not to your liking. We get it. You and others think it's cliche. A lot of things are. Good thing a lot of people don't make choices based on what's fresh and cool, and no doubt, things that are regarded as such aren't necessarily well-received.

You can think that. You call it "looking for insults," or you'll turn it into "people and their PC feelings" when not a thing I said is about feelings. Stop playing.
You are taking this far far too personally. I think tats are trite and sorta done, whatever. If you bother to read my posts here I've actually defended people who get tats when rude and uncalled for comments were made, but whatever, my comment about the banality of tats stuck out in your mind. Did you not see the far worse and mean spirited comments people have made here???

Whatever, I'm bored talking about it and I'm sure others are bored reading it. I know when two people go back and forth it becomes a major borefest. So I'll bow out and you can hit me with another zinger if you care to.

Old 09-24-2017, 07:19 PM

2,548 posts, read 1,891,818 times
Tattoos are trashy. Exception for those who've been in war or military.

Old 09-24-2017, 07:21 PM

10,341 posts, read 5,903,963 times
Quote:
You've actually said a lot more, but okay.
I'm thinking he'll soon say women with tattoos are promiscuous.
"That's not an insult calling them promiscous if they are promiscous, nothing negative about that, a mutilated woman sleeping with every guy they meet, none of my business just words, I don't judge."
Ha.

Old 09-24-2017, 07:27 PM

310 posts, read 204,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
Are there lots of 60ish women with full sleeves or are you trying to date women who could be your daughter?
Nah, I'm just on a front porch sipping another bottle of Snapple.

I'm astounded how this topic has blossomed into so many responses. I should offer another grumpy rant such as my objection to people who wear silly caps to cover their baldness. Wait, that's me!

Old 09-24-2017, 07:28 PM

14,520 posts, read 8,795,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
I don't like them, but at least you can take them out. Tattoos are forever.
I'm just now reading this thread, so I'm responding to this quote from a few pages ago.
I wanted to point out that actually, tattoos are not necessarily 'forever'.

With a good dermatologist, lots of time, more money, and a willingness to endure pain: Bob's your uncle, that tattoo will be gone! Speaking generally, of course. Some tats cannot be successfully removed.

Just wanted to point this out, as a few persons here had mentioned the foreverness idea.

I thought this was interesting, too....A good friend of mine is a retired Navy chief of dermatology and he said that over 90% of patients coming to his service (throughout the year & on a regular basis) were wanting tattoo removal! This was true of both genders.

Hi there, Old Grump.....(David, is this you?? )
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships