Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2017, 09:36 AM

20,398 posts, read 14,678,474 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriz Brown View Post
Age absolutely matters since the core of sexual attraction is based on the ability to reproduce.

Take it up with nature and biology. I'm just the messenger.
Right...

So with my tubes tied, I should be invisible to male eyes or something. And yet... And I know plenty of people who cannot reproduce due to deliberate efforts to avoid it, due to age, due to a medical condition...but they still want to have sex. I know tons of people who want to have sex, but do NOT want to make babies. It's kind of part of the human condition.

I think that you're being rather silly, and arguing just for the sake of arguing.

Sure, the natural urge to merge might have originated with the biological need to reproduce, but humans have a way of taking a basic biological imperative and making it into so very much more. And that's what the joy of life is about.

Are you one of those guys who doesn't believe that women actually have orgasms, since it's not technically necessary for reproduction? And with this mindset...why would a person eat higher priced gourmet food for the sheer joy of it, and not merely a flavorless but perfectly nutritious gruel? Why do anything that is not purely utilitarian? You don't need art or music or TV or games or books, to survive. A fairly significant portion of life, at least in Western society where basic survival needs tend to be met, is filled with simply seeking pleasure and happiness.

How about that gal you were attracted to enough, that you wanted to get her in bed, even if she's being a bit too intense too fast for ya there...are you working to give her babies? Is that the plan? Do you hope to impregnate her and vanish before she can make you provide? Are you a slave to "biological breeding strategy?"

Remember what I said about your world as you see it and live it, sounding really limiting to me? Yeah.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2017, 09:42 AM

3,218 posts, read 2,812,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BellaLind View Post
It’s not hypocrisy so much as it is people mature and reality sets in.

I don’t take dating advice seriously from the young and inexperienced. The people to go to are older, successful in their relationships couples that have a firm grasp on the reality of the human condition.
I agree with this, when you're young you tend to have a lot more options but unfortunately most people aren't mature enough in their early twenties to know a quality person when they see one. As you get older you have less options because there aren't as many single people in their 30's and 40's as there are in their 20's. So as you get older you may settle because you want to start a family and the fear of ending up alone is greater than the fear of settling for a less than stellar partner.

Old 12-28-2017, 09:48 AM

5,987 posts, read 10,475,163 times
"The core of sexual attraction is based on the ability to reproduce."

Almost. It's the perception of reproductive quality. Sex is intrinsically about reproduction, even though it has many social and bonding attributes as well. So a good figure, symmetrical features, glossy hair, good teeth, and clear eyes are innately attractive, as they are indicators of reproductive quality. Behaviors and personality are the next set of criteria. It's one reason why many people strive to look young, even if they're not. And of course, youth maximizes these qualities, which is one reason why some older men pursue younger women.

Fortunately, there is a LOT more to the story than just reproduction. The social and bonding aspects of sex and attraction continue well beyond the years of reproductive capability.

Anyway, dating hypocrisy is common. We want what we want, but almost everyone realizes that they can only choose from the pool available to them, and historically that's largely based on location and your social circle and social standing. Within that pool, it's based on individual traits and seeking the best compromise you can obtain.

Old 12-28-2017, 09:50 AM

8,923 posts, read 7,725,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
What I looked for when casually dating and marrying was two different things. Cue the guys proclaiming dating bad boys and marrying nice guys....

When I was young I didn't want marriage or even a LTR, just wanted to out and have fun. I married one of the guys I was out having fun with, but only because BOTH of priorities changed.

Everyone matures (well, not everyone), and when you change, you change what you look for in a mate. It's not hypocritical, it's not settling for a boring / stable guy, or any of that.

What I looked for in clothes, homes, jobs... all of that had changed over the years.
Yeah this is definitely different....

When I think of an example of hypocrisy, I think of society: Promoting a lot of goods and services using sex and then in the next minute complaining about how the youth is over sexualized. Basically saying one thing and doing something else.

Taking time to grow and mature is not the same as that.

Old 12-28-2017, 09:56 AM

20,398 posts, read 14,678,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auraliea View Post
Yeah this is definitely different....

When I think of an example of hypocrisy, I think of society: Promoting a lot of goods and services using sex and then in the next minute complaining about how the youth is over sexualized. Basically saying one thing and doing something else.

Taking time to grow and mature is not the same as that.
Or possibly men wanting women to be sexual, but also wanting to punish women for being sexual. I see that one a lot out there, too.

Old 12-28-2017, 10:01 AM

8,923 posts, read 7,725,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post
Or possibly men wanting women to be sexual, but also wanting to punish women for being sexual. I see that one a lot out there, too.
Yep.

Double standards are a great example of hypocrisy.

Old 12-28-2017, 10:03 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,839,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rego00123 View Post
A hypocritical viewpoint is a hypocritical viewpoint regardless of change in ones self.
This is why we are all hypocrites and no one is exempt

We will all hold some form of hypocrisy at various points throughout our life times. The only thing that changes it’s flavor is where we have come from and where we will end up.

It’s a hindsight that people either purposefully ignore or will never become aware of until they are forced to face it in some manner.

As humans we love to rub people’s hypocrisies in others faces to validate our own standings.
Changing your mind, learning, becoming wiser is not hypocrisy. It they no longer have that viewpoint and they now have a different viewpoint there is no hypocrisy. If they continue to espouse a viewpoint that is contrary to what they do - then that may be hypocrisy. However that may depend on other facts.

Old 12-28-2017, 10:04 AM

13,480 posts, read 8,390,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriz Brown View Post
I'm noticing most people don't follow their own dating advice. Both genders are guilty.

Guys will talk all this trash about woman's looks, then turn around and marry someone average. They might also talk trash about other guys who let their wife or girlfriend control them.. then those same guys will get in a relationship and let themselves be controlled. .
I think a lot of people realize that what they want is unrealistic.

Old 12-28-2017, 10:05 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,989,150 times
Quote:

I don't think I will ever wrap my head around that one, but yeah, its pretty common it seems.

Or that being bi is fine (and "natural") for women, but not for men. Which I never realized how common that attitude was until recently.

Old 12-28-2017, 02:58 PM

2,685 posts, read 2,523,323 times
Quote:
Right...

So with my tubes tied, I should be invisible to male eyes or something. And yet... And I know plenty of people who cannot reproduce due to deliberate efforts to avoid it, due to age, due to a medical condition...but they still want to have sex. I know tons of people who want to have sex, but do NOT want to make babies. It's kind of part of the human condition.

I think that you're being rather silly, and arguing just for the sake of arguing.

Sure, the natural urge to merge might have originated with the biological need to reproduce, but humans have a way of taking a basic biological imperative and making it into so very much more. And that's what the joy of life is about.

Are you one of those guys who doesn't believe that women actually have orgasms, since it's not technically necessary for reproduction? And with this mindset...why would a person eat higher priced gourmet food for the sheer joy of it, and not merely a flavorless but perfectly nutritious gruel? Why do anything that is not purely utilitarian? You don't need art or music or TV or games or books, to survive. A fairly significant portion of life, at least in Western society where basic survival needs tend to be met, is filled with simply seeking pleasure and happiness.

How about that gal you were attracted to enough, that you wanted to get her in bed, even if she's being a bit too intense too fast for ya there...are you working to give her babies? Is that the plan? Do you hope to impregnate her and vanish before she can make you provide? Are you a slave to "biological breeding strategy?"

Remember what I said about your world as you see it and live it, sounding really limiting to me? Yeah.
This is a silly post.

You are trying to turn a general statement into an absolute statement which is stupid.

If I say dogs bark. You will say you know a dog that doesn't. So what? Exceptions always exist.

Nature and biology cares primarily about reproduction. Therefore, the most attractive people are often the ones who show signs of youth and fertility. This does not mean other types of people cannot have sex. It means the most attractive and fertile people will have the most OPTIONS for sex.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships