Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2017, 10:24 AM

2,685 posts, read 2,522,459 times

Advertisements

I'm noticing most people don't follow their own dating advice. Both genders are guilty.

Guys will talk all this trash about woman's looks, then turn around and marry someone average. They might also talk trash about other guys who let their wife or girlfriend control them.. then those same guys will get in a relationship and let themselves be controlled.

Women do the same thing with their long essays and lists of qualities a man MUST have to be worth dating and marrying. Then the same woman will turn around and marry someone without those qualities later. They also talk about refusing to settle for less than they deserve. But later they settle for less than they deserve lol.

Anyone else notice this?

Its like I almost don't even take anyone seriously anymore when they give dating advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2017, 10:29 AM

44 posts, read 26,541 times
Its like being caught up in a life of crime, they cant see it.

Old 12-27-2017, 10:44 AM

1,915 posts, read 1,481,832 times
It’s not hypocrisy so much as it is people mature and reality sets in.

I don’t take dating advice seriously from the young and inexperienced. The people to go to are older, successful in their relationships couples that have a firm grasp on the reality of the human condition.

Old 12-27-2017, 10:49 AM

102,212 posts, read 107,931,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriz Brown View Post
I'm noticing most people don't follow their own dating advice. Both genders are guilty.

Guys will talk all this trash about woman's looks, then turn around and marry someone average. They might also talk trash about other guys who let their wife or girlfriend control them.. then those same guys will get in a relationship and let themselves be controlled.

Women do the same thing with their long essays and lists of qualities a man MUST have to be worth dating and marrying. Then the same woman will turn around and marry someone without those qualities later. They also talk about refusing to settle for less than they deserve. But later they settle for less than they deserve lol.

Anyone else notice this?

Its like I almost don't even take anyone seriously anymore when they give dating advice.
RE: the bolded--because they've matured by the time they're seriously looking for a marriage partner.

"Control"? Maybe what you're perceiving as "control" is simply a married couple making compromises to accommodate each other into their lives. Married life is different from single life. That doesn't mean it's about "control".

Old 12-27-2017, 10:50 AM

26,700 posts, read 41,748,461 times
Guys marry very average looking women simply because they don't have any choice. The average women are the only ones who want them. As Bella says reality sets in and it is either dry d&%$ or settling for the best you can get.

Women do the same thing, settle for the best they have available to them. For them it is either no kids, or average family life with a painfully average guy.

Old 12-27-2017, 10:59 AM

8,923 posts, read 7,723,158 times
People are hypocritical in general. Not just in dating. I don't listen to anyone's dating advice. The only advice I give is based on common sense. Learn from experience. Most of the time it's the best teacher, especially with dating.

Old 12-27-2017, 11:07 AM

8,779 posts, read 9,454,139 times
Every single one of us has the tendency to be hypocritical over what we think vs what we actually do, it’s a human condition.

over time it will eventually catch up with us all once real world dynamics come in to play.

It’s important when receiving any type of advice to understand yourself and what may or may not actually work for you. Sometimes that means throwing everything at the wall and seeing what sticks until you have a better opinion of who you are.

“Advice” isn’t a solution, it’s a starting point. You have to be willing to listen to yourself before you listen to others for it to work “for” you.

Old 12-27-2017, 11:08 AM

20,396 posts, read 14,667,898 times
It's not hypocrisy. People can only speak from the reality they stand in, that's all. And we are always evolving and growing. What we think we want, we might not know ourselves well enough to have a great idea of what we REALLY need and/or want. We get to look back on it and laugh at our younger, less wise selves. That is life, dude. You think anybody is born knowing it all?

I give a lot of advice around here, share a lot of stuff...but I know darn well that those who read it (and in fact no one is obligated to do so) can take it or leave it. If it helps, then cool, it helps. If it's useless, or a message that falls upon deaf ears, then that's fine too. I'm not so full of myself as to assume I know everything, or that what I say should be worthwhile to everybody. And I'm well aware I could look back on my worldview, in a few years, and it might not even be worthwhile to me!

Really, the point of all the advice isn't to tell you what to do, or who to be, so much as it's to give you stuff to think about. It's your life, at the end of the day you're going to do whatever you want. Reading advice and responding to it might just show you angles to see your situation that you might not have thought about before, that's all. There's only one person who can actually solve any of your problems.

Old 12-27-2017, 11:12 AM

2,685 posts, read 2,522,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
RE: the bolded--because they've matured by the time they're seriously looking for a marriage partner.

"Control"? Maybe what you're perceiving as "control" is simply a married couple making compromises to accommodate each other into their lives. Married life is different from single life. That doesn't mean it's about "control".
Its control.

Old 12-27-2017, 11:13 AM

61,730 posts, read 87,147,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriz Brown View Post
They also talk about refusing to settle for less than they deserve. But later they settle for less than they deserve lol.

Anyone else notice this?

Sure. It's called daydreaming vs reality...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships