Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2018, 03:23 PM

15,013 posts, read 21,650,496 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanMarlton View Post
Well, lets see.. If you look at a guy and really LIKE them and you know what you looking for, you can just ask if they consider themselves "x, y, z". Not ideal by any means, but it is a straightforward way. People really do overcomplicate things dramatically, in my opinion. You cannot scrutinize anyone without getting at least a face to face interaction. Its a waste of time
You'd have to do it to 10 guys at once.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2018, 04:42 PM

7,400 posts, read 6,369,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisTown123 View Post
Good point. When people write about themselves, they put themselves in as the BEST light as possible. It's really down to brass balls if they are more about action than words...online.
There isn't anything my husband misrepresented in his profile. Sure, he didn't include everything. His immense dislike of onions and a thing for cold pizza and similar quirks, but everything he shared was 100% spot on. It isn't so much about putting on a front or painting oneself in the absolute best image. Sure, your standard profile may be written in this fashion (traveling to glamorous locations, cool and exciting activities and hobbies or careers, etc.), which I poked fun of in my profile, but the majority of the profiles I took interest in were not written in that light at all.

When I stated I like cosplay and have been known to spend several hours playing an MMO or RPG while my kids stayed over at Gigi's house, that was 100% true. And the same for my lack of outdoorsy qualities. It can be fine, but I'm not super outdoorsy. You won't catch me suggesting to go camping. And I said as much in my profile, knowing it could further limit my dating pool. I received strongly positive reactions to that admission. Also that I'm not really into sports. I've been to many live games over the years, but I don't follow sports and am just uninterested. Also included that in my profile.

Old 09-11-2018, 04:53 PM

4,717 posts, read 3,268,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metaphysique View Post
You won't catch me suggesting to go camping. And I said as much in my profile, knowing it could further limit my dating pool. I received strongly positive reactions to that admission. Also that I'm not really into sports. I've been to many live games over the years, but I don't follow sports and am just uninterested. Also included that in my profile.
I also said in mine that I wasn't into golf and team sports but that I believed that healthy relationships didn't require couples to do everything together. One guy I was interested in actually sent me a polite "no, thanks" note saying he really wanted a companion for golf, tennis and pickleball. I thanked him for his honesty!

It's better to be upfront about what you want and don't want, as long as you can be positive about them.

Old 09-11-2018, 10:50 PM

777 posts, read 452,514 times
I rarely messaged men first, and never if they didn't give me anything to spark conversation, so the "just ask" types were out of luck with me if they expected me to message them....

But, if there was anything intriguing about the photos or minimal words provided, and a man messaged me first, I MIGHT have given him a shot by asking something to the effect of "Your profile is rather short - what would you add if you were to expand on it?" If he added something worthwhile or interesting, we might chat further and meet, but if the response to that prompt was little more than drooling idiocy, bye boy.

Old 09-11-2018, 11:48 PM

15,013 posts, read 21,650,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann Onn View Post
I rarely messaged men first, and never if they didn't give me anything to spark conversation, so the "just ask" types were out of luck with me if they expected me to message them....

But, if there was anything intriguing about the photos or minimal words provided, and a man messaged me first, I MIGHT have given him a shot by asking something to the effect of "Your profile is rather short - what would you add if you were to expand on it?" If he added something worthwhile or interesting, we might chat further and meet, but if the response to that prompt was little more than drooling idiocy, bye boy.
Thank you for addressing if someone like this had messaged you first. I prompted a recent one who messaged me first “No “About me� and his response was “What would you like to know?†I replied “If you had filled it out, what would you have said?†We shall see what he says.

Old 09-12-2018, 01:53 AM

23,173 posts, read 26,194,030 times
Somewhat off this particular topic but how about the ones that say "No"
What the hell is that supposed to mean?.

Old 09-12-2018, 03:44 AM

941 posts, read 3,911,021 times
I knew your handle was familiar.

why am i not surprised you're asking this kinda question?

Old 09-12-2018, 04:28 AM

3,926 posts, read 2,035,367 times
Quote:

When I stated I like cosplay and have been known to spend several hours playing an MMO or RPG while my kids stayed over at Gigi's house, that was 100% true. And the same for my lack of outdoorsy qualities. It can be fine, but I'm not super outdoorsy. You won't catch me suggesting to go camping. And I said as much in my profile, knowing it could further limit my dating pool. I received strongly positive reactions to that admission. Also that I'm not really into sports. I've been to many live games over the years, but I don't follow sports and am just uninterested. Also included that in my profile.
Wish I could meet a cosplay gal, most of the cons I go to they are married or spoken for or under legal drinking age. lol. To be honest, at least at a time when I played MMOs, I would not have included "I play hours of MMO games" in my dating profile.

Of course, a man of a certain age playing an MMO for hours probably doesn't make him look good to most women on paper (dating profile) Aka. A man-child. You sound like quite the unicorn. lol I dabble in both outdoors, geek interests, and a little cosplay. Simple costumes though.

Thus the omission of certain details in their profile.

I have a female friend that's an avid participant/Christian at her church, but other than having picked "Christian" as a religion in her profile...she doesn't mention anything about her involvement in church. She told me she didn't want to sound too Bible thumper-ish and scare off prospects.

Sorry, kind of got off on a tangent. lol

Old 09-12-2018, 05:33 AM

7,400 posts, read 6,369,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisTown123 View Post
Wish I could meet a cosplay gal, most of the cons I go to they are married or spoken for or under legal drinking age. lol. To be honest, at least at a time when I played MMOs, I would not have included "I play hours of MMO games" in my dating profile.

Of course, a man of a certain age playing an MMO for hours probably doesn't make him look good to most women on paper (dating profile) Aka. A man-child. You sound like quite the unicorn. lol I dabble in both outdoors, geek interests, and a little cosplay. Simple costumes though.

Thus the omission of certain details in their profile.
I saw this frequently. Usually the men who omitted certain details or interests for the reasons you state. Also why I included certain details and information that would spark interest in my kind of people.

Quote:
I have a female friend that's an avid participant/Christian at her church, but other than having picked "Christian" as a religion in her profile...she doesn't mention anything about her involvement in church. She told me she didn't want to sound too Bible thumper-ish and scare off prospects.

Sorry, kind of got off on a tangent. lol
That would bother me, and depending how involved she is and her brand of theology, she very well could be misrepresenting herself if she truly is a Bible-thumper (I stated my vehement dislike for Bible-thumpers in my profile, as a former Bible-thumper).

Old 09-12-2018, 05:40 AM

3,926 posts, read 2,035,367 times
Quote:
I saw this frequently. Usually the men who omitted certain details or interests for the reasons you state. Also why I included certain details and information that would spark interest in my kind of people.

That would bother me, and depending how involved she is and her brand of theology, she very well could be misrepresenting herself if she truly is a Bible-thumper (I stated my vehement dislike for Bible-thumpers in my profile, as a former Bible-thumper).
Actually she's not a Bible thumper at all. She's part of some Canadian Christian sect of people. I mean, she's not "girls gone wild" type, an easy going nice woman, single mother with 2 kids. She has nothing against drinking and if you were to talk to her, you'd never hear her mention anything about church.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships