Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2019, 12:53 AM

68 posts, read 35,359 times

Advertisements

My entire family is full of divorced people and cheaters. I haven't had positive marriages modelled before me to see how it makes a difference. I don't know if a marriage equals stability automatically, i think it's more about the people in the marriage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2019, 04:09 AM

49,927 posts, read 59,984,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mellyy View Post

i think it's more about the people in the marriage.
Yay! 61 posts in and we finally get there!

Old 01-21-2019, 04:15 AM

68 posts, read 35,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieBelle View Post
Yay! 61 posts in and we finally get there!
Woo!

Old 01-21-2019, 06:57 AM

1,158 posts, read 962,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by athena53 View Post
A couple of years ago I listened to a really good "Planet Money" podcast on this subject. The researcher had measured how well kids in the US were doing (I forget all the measures but one was performance in school) between kids from homes where the parents were married and those where they weren't. The ones in the homes with married parents did better. She thought that maybe the difference was economic- that kids with unmarried parents lacked some opportunities and advantages because they had lower incomes- but then she looked at what happened in areas in Ohio where incomes went up due to the fracking industry. Even with the economic improvements, kids in households with married parents did better.
I do not agree with this at all. My child is in the top 3% academically based on standardized tests, a straight A student on the pre-ap track and is involved in numerous activities including volunteer work in the community. I divorced my spouse while pregnant.

Our home life is far more stable than most in her peer group who come from two parent homes or if I had remained married to my spouse. I have a higher income than most of those two parent families.

Just because someone has two parents in the home does not mean that either of those parents are actually GOOD parents or dialed in to their kids.

Just because someone has one parent does not mean they are doomed to a life of failure or low expectations.

Last edited by Angie682; 01-21-2019 at 07:06 AM..

Old 01-21-2019, 07:52 AM

4,717 posts, read 3,272,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angie682 View Post
I do not agree with this at all. My child is in the top 3% academically based on standardized tests, a straight A student on the pre-ap track and is involved in numerous activities including volunteer work in the community. I divorced my spouse while pregnant.

<snip> Just because someone has one parent does not mean they are doomed to a life of failure or low expectations.
The study was quoting AVERAGES. Of course there are outliers. I divorced when my son was 12 and believe me, we were FAR better off for it. I also had a very good career- I think I was the only single mother in our high-cost town (Bergen County, NJ) because most of the time when marriages broke up the spouses couldn't afford to stay there. No disagreement with you that single motherhood can be the better option.

Old 01-22-2019, 03:00 PM

24,559 posts, read 18,286,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by athena53 View Post
The study was quoting AVERAGES. Of course there are outliers. I divorced when my son was 12 and believe me, we were FAR better off for it. I also had a very good career- I think I was the only single mother in our high-cost town (Bergen County, NJ) because most of the time when marriages broke up the spouses couldn't afford to stay there. No disagreement with you that single motherhood can be the better option.
I presume you had your education completed and your career launched before you married and reproduced? That’s the key part of increasing the odds of a good outcome. You have way more slack to absorb the life mistakes we all make than a poorly educated woman with an unskilled job who ends up as a single parent.

Old 01-22-2019, 03:31 PM

11,163 posts, read 7,974,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
I presume you had your education completed and your career launched before you married and reproduced? That’s the key part of increasing the odds of a good outcome. You have way more slack to absorb the life mistakes we all make than a poorly educated woman with an unskilled job who ends up as a single parent.
How about a poorly educated unskilled married couple as opposed to an educated skilled unmarried couple?
Are those kids born to the unskilled less educated couple going to fare better than the children born to the
educated, skilled unmarried couple?
My b/f is an oral surgeon, I have a college degree in accounting, and I am fluent in three languages. We both have 6 figure incomes and we are in the process of starting a family. Getting “married” isn’t a priority.
I don’t see why people think that having that little piece of paper automatically makes thier relationship any more committed than a couple who pledges their commitment without it. Marriages go south all the time, just look at the divorce rate. We don’t feel that we need a binding contract in order for our relationship to succeed or for our children to flourish.

Old 01-22-2019, 04:20 PM

14,078 posts, read 16,620,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mellyy View Post
Why do people think the duggars getting married to someone after less than a year of dating is okay but a couple in a steady relationship for 5 years having a baby outside of marriage is not? What is the difference between the duggars rushing into marriage and babies and someone getting pregnant 3 months into a new relationship? Neither of them know their partner all that well..

Seems like most people on this board are pro marriage. Most of the people i know under 30 (I'm 19, no kids) aren't married and don't plan to be but have children with their partner. I live in canada so when you live with a partner and have kids you become common law and are considered basically legally married by the gov anyway. Maybe it's the people I'm surrounded by but i don't think it's a big deal to decide not to get married? I've never been particularly religous so maybe that's part of the reason.

Can someone explain the difference between my above example (the duggars getting married after months of dating vs a couple of 5 years having a baby outside of marriage) marriage makes in this situation to me?Educate me don't belittle me lol
If you’re asking my personal opinion, I think children should come after marriage. I grew up with both of my parents living in the same household, but they never married. It doesn’t mean that things would’ve been perfect if they had been married, but after seeing their situation, I would never be ok with being someone’s live in girlfriend, and I’m not in the least bit desperate for a baby that I would ever want one without being married.

Old 01-22-2019, 04:27 PM

24,559 posts, read 18,286,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney123 View Post
How about a poorly educated unskilled married couple as opposed to an educated skilled unmarried couple?
Are those kids born to the unskilled less educated couple going to fare better than the children born to the
educated, skilled unmarried couple?
My b/f is an oral surgeon, I have a college degree in accounting, and I am fluent in three languages. We both have 6 figure incomes and we are in the process of starting a family. Getting “married” isn’t a priority.
I don’t see why people think that having that little piece of paper automatically makes thier relationship any more committed than a couple who pledges their commitment without it. Marriages go south all the time, just look at the divorce rate. We don’t feel that we need a binding contract in order for our relationship to succeed or for our children to flourish.
That’s exactly the slack I’m talking about. You’re both educated and have established careers. You’re socioeconomic equals. If you were Art History Barbie not working and with a couple of offspring and not in a common law marriage state, you run the risk of becoming Trailer Trash Barbie if the oral surgeon bails out. The less high wage job skills you have, the more critical the get married, stay married becomes.

Old 01-22-2019, 04:40 PM

14,078 posts, read 16,620,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
That’s exactly the slack I’m talking about. You’re both educated and have established careers. You’re socioeconomic equals. If you were Art History Barbie not working and with a couple of offspring and not in a common law marriage state, you run the risk of becoming Trailer Trash Barbie if the oral surgeon bails out. The less high wage job skills you have, the more critical the get married, stay married becomes.
Money isn’t the only thing that matters. What about when your kids are embarrassed that all of their classmates have married parents and they don’t? It continues to be embarrassing for me to tell people that my parents live together and never married.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships