Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2019, 01:10 PM

4,088 posts, read 2,558,440 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisTown123 View Post
I live in a small area, and this area is known for people getting married to their HS sweethearts and making babies, and they have 2 kids by their mid-20s...because that's all there is to do around here.

What would blow my mind is, why didn't thought ever occur to them to explore their dating options when they went off to college, and if not college, just break up with them to see what's out there.

I mean, how can someone possibly think that the only person they've been with in high school, is "the one"?
Some rather fortunate people really do "just know." Why keep looking or explore "other options" when what you want in a partner is right there for you to "grow together" with over the years?

I know plenty of people who have been with their spouse since high school--one couple married just before the bride's graduation. (They married so that she could immediately join him in San Diego. Over twenty years and no children later, they've seen a great deal of the world together and recently returned to the county to be near family.) Now that many of them are entering their child-free years (or are darn close to it), they're entering into a fun new chapter in their lives, i.e., still young enough to play a bit, but with enough spare cash to do it relatively well. For those who waited to marry and have children, they simply "front-loaded" their fun years and are sinking their resources into the raising of the next generation now.

Everyone's experience is different, of course, but sometimes I do envy those who found their "person" early on. Less and different emotional baggage to carry around, I think.

Last edited by Formerly Known As Twenty; 06-27-2019 at 01:18 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2019, 01:59 PM

2,449 posts, read 2,600,906 times
I know one couple from my high school who were married over 20 years. Then he dumped her for another woman - from our same graduating class!
That's going to be a whole bunch of awkward at our reunion this year if they both attend.

Old 06-27-2019, 06:52 PM

7,420 posts, read 2,707,959 times
My husband and I met on a school bus travelling to a H.S. football game in 1964. He is 3 years older than I. Following our separate college paths and a long distance relationship we married at 21 and 24 years old. Just celebrated our 48th wedding anniversary.

A Neil Young fan, my nearly half a century roommate quotes him from the 4Way Street live album "We've had our ups and downs, but we're still playing together".

Last edited by corpgypsy; 06-27-2019 at 07:08 PM..

Old 06-27-2019, 10:56 PM

11,157 posts, read 7,955,804 times
My parents met in college and are still happily married.

Old 06-27-2019, 11:35 PM

15,013 posts, read 21,645,510 times
Yes! It still happens a lot.

Old 06-28-2019, 04:01 AM

12,229 posts, read 21,496,596 times
Yes, me and one of my brothers and some other older couples I know.

Old 06-28-2019, 04:33 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,183,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azureth View Post
We know about the high school/college sweethearts that get married and many times divorce, but do you know any that actually are still together?
Yes, several couples.

Old 06-28-2019, 05:17 AM

3,926 posts, read 2,034,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Formerly Known As Twenty View Post
Some rather fortunate people really do "just know." Why keep looking or explore "other options" when what you want in a partner is right there for you to "grow together" with over the years?

I know plenty of people who have been with their spouse since high school--one couple married just before the bride's graduation. (They married so that she could immediately join him in San Diego. Over twenty years and no children later, they've seen a great deal of the world together and recently returned to the county to be near family.) Now that many of them are entering their child-free years (or are darn close to it), they're entering into a fun new chapter in their lives, i.e., still young enough to play a bit, but with enough spare cash to do it relatively well. For those who waited to marry and have children, they simply "front-loaded" their fun years and are sinking their resources into the raising of the next generation now.

Everyone's experience is different, of course, but sometimes I do envy those who found their "person" early on. Less and different emotional baggage to carry around, I think.
That's awesome that it worked for them. When I was high school aged, or the ages you talkeda bout with said couple...the idea of marriage was far FAR away from me. I wasn't opposed to it, it just never occurred to me. I was still in that "awkward teenaged" phase. Maybe it was because I never had a girlfriend in high school...I dunno.

You could say it wasn't until my early 20s that I was considering marriage possible life choice. I guess it didn't click with me until I saw tons of college-aged soon-to-be grads were getting engaged.

Marriage at 18 (or just BEFORE HS graduation), was nothing I could ever fathom. I do recall a high school couple that was already planning on marriage back in the day. I think back then I recalled hearing that statistically marriages that young have less of a chance of lasting and to wait until you're in your late 20s, early 30s to marry, that way the mind has fully matured.

Old 06-28-2019, 11:55 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 3 days ago)

35,611 posts, read 17,940,183 times
I have a large circle of acquaintances because I've lived in this city forever - and most of the people I know are married to someone they met in college or before college, one marriage, still together.

I was at lunch last year with a dozen women and fully half of them are still married to their high school sweethearts - one of them got together with her husband in 6th grade and has never kissed another man. Very strong marriage.

Looking back on who married high school sweethearts - they're very drama free. Very capable of lasting, loving relationships with friends and family and their children, which probably accounts for why they were able to form the strong primary bond in high school.

Old 06-28-2019, 12:18 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,727,010 times
Class of 2000s grad here. Knew a total of six HS couples who married after HS. One is still married the other five were train wrecks as predicted marrying young and all got divorced. I wouldn’t recommend any HS couple marry after HS these days. Just too much change and life experience in between age 18-24 to be tied down and counting on it to last forever.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships