Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2019, 12:18 PM

4,042 posts, read 2,713,819 times

Advertisements

It just sounds like he was referring to the prior conversation and the statement that YOU made about being hurt. I don't get the dramatics... maybe he's overdoing it a tad bit, but maybe he also truly likes you and wants you to feel reassured.

Relax.

Do you like him? Has he treated you well thus far? Have you enjoyed your time together? If so, then move forward at your pace. Being cautious is fine, but don't press the panic button.

However, if you are using this as an excuse to bolt because you are not interested, then just end it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2019, 02:12 PM

9,301 posts, read 8,353,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
Okay, wait.

You had a history of being hurt, that he knew about, and you recently asked would he hurt you? and he's responding, "I won't hurt you"?

That's a COMPLETELY DIFFERENT SITUATION from some guy you are newly dating who keeps saying, randomly, out of the blue, that he won't hurt you.

Why in the world didn't you state this in the beginning?
A little late, but I think she meant that she asked him why he kept saying this.

Old 09-20-2019, 02:15 PM

9,301 posts, read 8,353,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrah View Post
So you're worried because he cared enough about you, even when you weren't dating, to remember a long ago conversation?

I'm sorry to say this, but being worried because someone cared about you and translated that into words is messed up thinking.

That said, no one can claim they will never hurt another. He can't. You can't. I can't. No one. Given the right set of circumstances each of us is capable of hurting another. The thing is, we have to live life not being so afraid of the hurt that we curl up and hide or reject others unless we view them as perfect.
It's very common thinking.

Old 09-20-2019, 03:41 PM

11,108 posts, read 7,174,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flavia84 View Post
I’m in the beginning stage of dating a man, Early 40s. He has said multiple times that he will never hurt me.
It sounds like a nervous Freudian slip, and that he's trying to cover up past issues. But regardless, and even more importantly, no one can or should promise anything. No one can guarantee he/she will never hurt another.

The red-flags are waving too strongly here.

Last edited by Thoreau424; 09-20-2019 at 03:52 PM..

Old 09-20-2019, 03:45 PM

2,089 posts, read 3,909,284 times
Stop dating. You won't get "hurt" (whatever that is.)

Old 09-20-2019, 04:41 PM

6,639 posts, read 4,579,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlj1225 View Post
It just sounds like he was referring to the prior conversation and the statement that YOU made about being hurt. I don't get the dramatics... maybe he's overdoing it a tad bit, but maybe he also truly likes you and wants you to feel reassured.

Relax.

Do you like him? Has he treated you well thus far? Have you enjoyed your time together? If so, then move forward at your pace. Being cautious is fine, but don't press the panic button.

However, if you are using this as an excuse to bolt because you are not interested, then just end it.
big ups. methinks she is looking for an excuse to end it with the genuinely sincere (boring ?) caring guy without looking bad; eventhough, she gave years worth of red flag chances to the womanizing badboy player who broke her heart.

Old 10-02-2019, 10:35 AM

5,820 posts, read 3,880,993 times
It looks like the OP's man friend got brainwashed by today's feminist pop culture media. The kind that perpetually pushes the message that all men are abusers and violators. So, he's overcompensating, by repeating that he's NOT like that, and by acting "tepid" and approval-seeking. He wants to make her feel safe and cared for, I get that.

Unfortunately, the poor guy doesn't realize that weak and/or submissive behavior is the fastest way to make a woman lose interest. And it seems like this already happened.

If *my* lady friend asked me if I would hurt her, I'd give her a puzzled look, and say: "No. (pause) I'll always ask before trying something new. But we'll cross that bridge when we get there."

Last edited by MillennialUrbanist; 10-02-2019 at 10:47 AM..

Old 10-03-2019, 01:51 PM

22,343 posts, read 29,457,534 times
My recent ex told me that and really f-ed me over so take it as you want...

Old 10-03-2019, 05:43 PM

9,376 posts, read 6,985,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flavia84 View Post
I’m in the beginning stage of dating a man, Early 40s. He has said multiple times that he will never hurt me and that I have nothing to worry about without me even bringing up any kind of concern. Am I right to read this as a negative sign? If you legitimately have good intentions toward a woman, why would you even bring up that kind of statement? Is this a case of that who doth protest too much?

No not in isolation but watch a person's actions not their words. If he starts to appear irrational or volatile then I'd be worried.

Old 10-03-2019, 05:55 PM

3,166 posts, read 3,362,966 times
My ex would profess how nice of a guy he was. His actions showed differently. No way I’ll stay with a man who slams things, sometimes causing something to break or spill a drink out of anger. Or drive recklessly after being mad at me.

Although, I seen my brother do this with his wife once. It shocked me bc he didn’t seem the type of person to do that,

Is this common behavior among men?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships