Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2022, 03:03 PM

15,081 posts, read 10,159,021 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
Now unless you know how to work a club, the 40s would really be where it starts getting weird.
Life is too short to live according to what other people think...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2022, 03:27 PM

45,600 posts, read 60,922,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida2014 View Post
Playing devil's advocate here for a moment........I wonder if OP was a woman saying that her boyfriend who was in his 30s was going out to nightclubs on weekends, I bet many of these responses would be FAR different.
No, if the situation were reversed I would have said that he was on the hunt again.

Old 01-18-2022, 03:31 PM

11,413 posts, read 24,517,939 times
It depends where you live. I have friends in their 50’s and 60’s who still go to clubs. No one thinks it’s strange.

Old 01-18-2022, 03:41 PM

368 posts, read 215,978 times
Quote:
Playing devil's advocate here for a moment........I wonder if OP was a woman saying that her boyfriend who was in his 30s was going out to nightclubs on weekends, I bet many of these responses would be FAR different.
It's complicated question but let's face it, no guy likes this. If she's your actual girlfriend, I think you can say something, especially if you know she's getting drunk and out at all hours. If she doesn't understand your dislike of it, I would say it's not meant to be and you just have different relationship approaches. It's tough because anything you say isn't really going to go over well and is going to come off as insecure and controlling; I guess all you could try to do beyond flat out telling her you're not a fan of it is to arrange alternative plans for her clubbing nights and see what happens. If she continues trying to fit it in then maybe say something. But it's like with women who keep close with too many exes and other 'orbiters;' I would probably just break it off because I know I'm not going to change who they are, and don't want to be stressed/jealous all the time, and it will likely end badly at some point or another. Instead of trying to fit a square peg into round hole and drive yourself crazy I would just prepare to move on to other women.

Quote:
Says who exactly? The clubs of DC and Charlotte are full of people in their 30s and they don’t look out of place at all. Now unless you know how to work a club, the 40s would really be where it starts getting weird.
I'm going to say it's not weird until you're in your 70s. If you want to do it, do it until you really can't anymore, which for most people is going to be around that age.

When I was in Europe I would frequently see people in their 50s and older in many clubs. They weren't acting like 18 year olds, but they were dressed normal/stylishly, dancing/drinking, and having a good time. They looked cooler than a lot of the self-conscious 20-somethings who were there. I'm 36 and would have zero embarrassment going to a club now, and doubt I will in four years. Clubbing's not my #1 thing but it can be a good time especially if you're in a new city, etc.

Last edited by pclem; 01-18-2022 at 03:58 PM..

Old 01-18-2022, 04:34 PM

2,867 posts, read 1,549,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
Says who exactly? The clubs of DC and Charlotte are full of people in their 30s and they don’t look out of place at all. Now unless you know how to work a club, the 40s would really be where it starts getting weird.

Or you could just go with a group of people your age and not care who else is there. Don't misunderstand. I would not go to a college bar. But dancing? That's for everybody.

Quote:

Not necessarily. Women often go to clubs to dance and hope that men will leave them alone. My friends and I would go so far as to go to a gay nightclub just to avoid men approaching us.

Old 01-18-2022, 04:39 PM

102,300 posts, read 108,390,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katnan View Post
Apparently the OP revised his post from a woman he's known a couple of weeks, to girlfriend. A few weeks is barely an acquaintance, to be criticizing a single woman for how she's living her life.
I was going to post the same thing. What makes the OP think she's his girlfriend, vs. a woman he recently started dating?

Old 01-18-2022, 07:34 PM

6,947 posts, read 4,953,194 times
Saying she shouldn't be going to nightclubs because she is *gasp - 31, is pretty much like saying she shouldn't have any friends that are, for example; 25, 26, 27, 28....

Old 01-18-2022, 09:52 PM

Quote:
They're not bf/gf, though. They only met or started dating recently, according to a post the OP deleted.

Last edited by Ruth4Truth; 01-18-2022 at 10:04 PM..

Old 01-18-2022, 09:57 PM

7,709 posts, read 5,493,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Honeyyounng33 View Post
So my girlfriend always seems to want to go out to clubs for really young people when she’s out with a friend. Seems super weird that a woman in her 30s wants to party with people in thier 20s?
What clubs are only for "really young people"? The minimum age for a club where alcohol is served is usually 21, but I've never heard of any maximum age.

Old 01-18-2022, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honeyyounng33 View Post
So my girlfriend always seems to want to go out to clubs for really young people when she’s out with a friend. Seems super weird that a woman in her 30s wants to party with people in thier 20s?
20's is not "really young". It's only a few years younger than her. You make it sound like she's partying with teenagers, or something.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships