Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2022, 06:08 AM

1,701 posts, read 781,807 times

Advertisements

Op, do you really need to anymore conjecture or debates between others over the context of your own date? Do you like her not? If so, proceed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2022, 06:10 AM

686 posts, read 300,297 times
Many men do not like when the woman pays for the first date, some are even insulted and feel patronized. They rather accept it if they are not into the woman.

Old 02-18-2022, 06:39 AM

1,386 posts, read 911,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
Aaaand then this...

Asking about your job, no big deal. Sometimes people have no idea what to talk about.

But asking about the square footage of your house?

I'm going to have to say that's a red flag, and maybe she wasn't walking you to your car out of courtesy because she liked you, but walking to your car to see what kind of car you drive, and then doing the math: job + sq footage of house + car = gold digger.

Maybe the buying of things on the first date was to throw you off the scent.

I can't imagine ever asking a guy about the square footage of his house. That's very specific, and there's only 1 reason for someone to ask that.
He said she inherited money and is independently wealthy. This may not be gold digging behavior if that is the truth, but rather protective of her own wealth to make sure that he is able to support himself and won't drain her wealth. It's still a little machiavellian to use an otherwise kind gesture to judge his car on the down low, but if that is her motive, I understand it as well, especially depending on how large a sum of money it is that she inherited (which OP probably doesn't know at this point).

Old 02-18-2022, 08:45 AM

30,254 posts, read 23,725,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewtownBucks View Post
He said she inherited money and is independently wealthy. This may not be gold digging behavior if that is the truth, but rather protective of her own wealth to make sure that he is able to support himself and won't drain her wealth. It's still a little machiavellian to use an otherwise kind gesture to judge his car on the down low, but if that is her motive, I understand it as well, especially depending on how large a sum of money it is that she inherited (which OP probably doesn't know at this point).
He did not say she was 'independently wealthy', he said they both make about the same, (whatever that is), and he thinks (not 'knows') she inherited a 'decent amount of money'. We don't know his definition of 'decent', or if she actually did inherit any amount.

Even if she did inherit a lot of money, asking a guy about the square footage of his house, along with the other things she asked, repeatedly, and then walking to his car, when you put all of that together, it raises my suspicions as to her motive.

Despite having her own spending money, maybe she wants more? Maybe it's not as much as we assume, maybe it's not enough to lead a cushy life for the rest of her life. The square footage of his house has no effect on her. She has her own place.

I'm saying, when people start getting that specific about what you have and what you do, instead of focusing on the person that he is, especially after only 2 dates, there's reason to be cautious.

Old 02-18-2022, 11:13 AM

6,548 posts, read 7,276,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D217 View Post
Did she have an Adam's apple?
Maybe it sounds unbelievable that a girl did something that is only expected from men but in other cultures its perfectly normal and acceptable for a girl to have the courtesy to pay for dinner and drinks, court pursue and romance a guy, buy him stuff just because (not just once a year for his birthday), walk a guy to his car, propose marriage, buy him an engagement ring/watch, talk to both families about marriage, etc. since the very first date just like a guy does for her. I don't see why nice gestures have to be gender-specific and only from man to woman but not go both ways since the first date.

Old 02-18-2022, 11:50 AM

4,418 posts, read 2,939,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by onihC View Post
Maybe it sounds unbelievable that a girl did something that is only expected from men but in other cultures its perfectly normal and acceptable for a girl to have the courtesy to pay for dinner and drinks, court pursue and romance a guy, buy him stuff just because (not just once a year for his birthday), walk a guy to his car, propose marriage, buy him an engagement ring/watch, talk to both families about marriage, etc. since the very first date just like a guy does for her. I don't see why nice gestures have to be gender-specific and only from man to woman but not go both ways since the first date.
And what cultures would that be? Western culture is the most progressive.

Old 02-18-2022, 02:16 PM

6,548 posts, read 7,276,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berteau View Post
Western culture seems progressive in certain things but when it comes to dating you see how some people have reacted here with such little gesture and how it had become a long thread.

Old 02-18-2022, 02:26 PM

4,088 posts, read 2,558,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by onihC View Post
Western culture seems progressive in certain things but when it comes to dating you see how some people have reacted here with such little gesture and how it had become a long thread.

Old 02-18-2022, 02:43 PM

6,844 posts, read 3,956,605 times
Unless he was somewhat impaired the only reasons I could see her walking him to his car would be to extend the date a few more minutes, check out his car, or avoid his seeing her car.

Seems like talking salaries and house size this early is some sort of financial measuring going on, maybe from both. Maybe she has had a bad experience with bums in the past. So far the OP has passed the tests. I don't see why she left hints that she inherited a decent amount of money. That doesn't seem to be usual for a first or second date. Time will tell. If she visits his place and he visits hers, the picture will fill out. Right now it is all hearsay.

Old 02-18-2022, 03:13 PM

686 posts, read 300,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berteau View Post
I guess it is the Asian culture and it is not the woman who spends all that money, but her parents eager to catch a husband with a very promising career for their daugther.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships