Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2022, 09:32 AM

8,653 posts, read 9,175,611 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorporateCowboy View Post
He’s whining about her birthday in a forum, but she’s inconsiderate? If he thinks she is inconsiderate and knows he wants to end the relationship (which is his call), do it. Why wait? It’s inconsiderate of him to string her along.
Perhaps he's a gentleman? Perhaps he will not end the relationship. In his post, he never mentioned her ever spending a dollar on him, although he states she makes good money. That is a red flag for me.

Old 12-02-2022, 09:35 AM

62,043 posts, read 87,741,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guawazi View Post
Long story short, I've been dating a girl for about 6 months who is quite expensive (for me). I pay for most things when we go out to the tune of probably 600-700 dollars a month for entertainment. Her birthday is coming up in December, she really wants to go to a hockey game and tickets are ~$150 each in addition to a nice dinner and I'm sure other stuff. I hate hockey. Haven't watched a single game all the way through in my life. To add, Christmas is coming I'm going to be buying presents for like 7 nieces and nephews plus 6 or 7 adults. I make decent money, (we both do) but I am the opposite of a spender. Currently debating if I want to continue the relationship after the holidays because of spending differences (among other reasons), so I'm questioning whether I should find a way to get out of going/spending a lot of money on her or just suck it up and pay because it's her birthday and the holidays.

She's nice and the relationship has been fine for the most part, so I don't want to bail on her right before birthday and during the holiday, but this month will hurt more than most Decembers. And because I've been planning a trip in January and trying to save a bit as well, it will impede the budget I have for that. What do you think?
Expensive GF.... are you "buying" her love??

Try this: go cheap for a while and see if she dumps you, and how fast.

Old 12-02-2022, 09:40 AM

3,319 posts, read 1,793,643 times
All I can think is the sex must be fantastic !

Old 12-02-2022, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driver 47 View Post
All I can think is the sex must be fantastic !
In that case he's buying sex. What is that called?

Old 12-02-2022, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmking View Post
In that case he's buying sex. What is that called?
In that case he could buy sex cheaper, without all the"extras".
But perhaps he is desperate and she knows how to push the right buttons?

Old 12-02-2022, 09:53 AM

8,797 posts, read 3,953,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmking View Post
Perhaps he's a gentleman? Perhaps he will not end the relationship. In his post, he never mentioned her ever spending a dollar on him, although he states she makes good money. That is a red flag for me.
There’s a huge distinction between being a gentleman vs. an idiot, particularly relative to his own choices. He states he is the (only) one spending money on the relationship; and, if true, it is clearly eating at him. Yet, he doesn’t want to address it as an adult face-to-face (or end the relationship); hence he whines about it in a forum in re: her birthday, no less! It substantially weakens his argument, from my perspective; the red flag is waving in his direction as well. She can’t force him to spend money he doesn’t want to spend, lol.

Old 12-02-2022, 10:00 AM

10,394 posts, read 8,634,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTsnowbird View Post
If you're a saver, and she is perfectly happy spending her and your money as fast as it comes in - ask yourself, do I really want to hitch my wagon to this star? Money is one of the biggest problems that break up couples.
This is a huge issue. My girlfriend thinks money just will appear and I pay for everything. Hmmm, I guess she’s right.
At this point I’m taking steps to up my income to afford her. If it doesn’t work out, the so be it.
In the end I have to make sure I’m ok financially and can’t risk losing what I’ve got.

Old 12-02-2022, 10:06 AM

She has a lavish life style and always had. Used to have "supportive" relationships and likes to spend someone's money, not hers.
She is also "traditional" (whatever that means) and doesn't care about budget. Sure, why not. She is saving most her money, clever girl.
When his money is gone, she will find another sucker.
OP mentioned: "I've only been here under a year." Fresh immigrant from China?
If yes, he needs to get a reality check.

Last edited by elnina; 12-02-2022 at 06:47 PM..

Old 12-02-2022, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorporateCowboy View Post
There’s a huge distinction between being a gentleman vs. an idiot, particularly relative to his own choices. He states he is the (only) one spending money on the relationship; and, if true, it is clearly eating at him. Yet, he doesn’t want to address it as an adult face-to-face (or end the relationship); hence he whines about it in a forum in re: her birthday, no less! It substantially weakens his argument, from my perspective; the red flag is waving in his direction as well. She can’t force him to spend money he doesn’t want to spend, lol.
I agree. Perhaps he'll chime in and give a tad more detail. But he seems to like her, so spend away....He could be one of those who always picks up the check. It could be that she has offered to pay but he can not bring himself to allow her to do so....I know a few like that.

Old 12-02-2022, 10:07 AM

846 posts, read 693,585 times
You should've had a conversation about finances earlier, 1-2 months into the relationship rather than 6 months later. But it's not too late to have it now.

Is she reciprocating? Does she pay for some of your dates and dinners too? If you give her gifts, does she give you gifts back? etc.

You can base this on income. For example, if you both make similar income, split it 50-50. Or if you make more money than her, maybe split it 2/3 and 1/3. etc.

Tell her exactly what you told us in a honest yet polite way; that you enjoy spending time with her, but you need to cut back on spending and save a bit of money. A relationship is built on the foundation of honesty. You shouldn't be afraid to say that you're not into hockey or that you need to save money; assuming she loves you for who you are, she'll understand.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships