Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2024, 12:47 PM

32,114 posts, read 34,747,185 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Would those be the 40% that are not in the workforce?
"Not in the workforce" in these cities usually means enrolled in school rather than unemployed.

Reality in Los Angeles and reality in Kansas are not the same. It's no different from the housing market in Boston being very different from the housing market in Las Vegas.

Old 02-05-2024, 12:51 PM

22,599 posts, read 47,698,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
"Not in the workforce" in these cities usually means enrolled in school rather than unemployed.
And others.

"Not in the labor force
Persons who are neither employed nor unemployed are not in the labor force. This category includes retired persons, students, those taking care of children or other family members, and others who are neither working nor seeking work."

https://www.bls.gov/cps/lfcharacteri...seeking%20work.

Old 02-05-2024, 12:57 PM

32,114 posts, read 34,747,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
And others.

"Not in the labor force
Persons who are neither employed nor unemployed are not in the labor force. This category includes retired persons, students, those taking care of children or other family members, and others who are neither working nor seeking work."

https://www.bls.gov/cps/lfcharacteri...seeking%20work.
Very few "others," especially retirees among college-educated people in their 20s.

In Manhattan...

88.0% are employed.
7.8% are not in the labor force
3.6% are unemployed
64% of those not in the labor force are enrolled in a grad/professional school program

Source: ACS 1-Year Estimates (2022), U.S. Census

Old 02-05-2024, 06:33 PM

24,595 posts, read 10,909,474 times
It sounds like OP is looking for his current situation plus benefits and a second paycheck.

Old 02-05-2024, 07:02 PM

1,702 posts, read 784,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert473 View Post
Let’s all get one thing straight . California is a high cost of living state as most of you know and maybe it’s just the kind of ladies I encounter but there have been a rise or scary amount of people looking for a partner to fully support them financially - in others words a sugar daddy or maybe not unless you both come to terms only one of you ( man or lady) will be working full time - you will be the primary provider

Now don’t get me wrong - I know there are people out there like this and are fine but I mean geez how do you guys do it? How do you suppose a spouse ( man or woman ) with just a single income nowadays with cost creep and inflation and general wages - and especially with kids in the picture? What happens if you lose your job? What happens if you guys break up and the other one hasn’t been in the workforce in a long time ?

I know going on a date and all is dandy and sure u spend on a date a certain amount and with gifts and all but I’m talking about either married couples or relationships where couples are official and know or willingly will support a spouse to the fullest and the other one stays home

If anyone here is a single income spouse family who fully support a spouse with or without kids ? My question is either how do you guys make it work ? What jobs do you guys work that allows that ? Has it been easy or hard ? Financial wise have you guys been ok? Any big changes u had to make ?

Do you wish to find a spouse that fully supports you financially?

The reason I ask is because I just find that kind of relationship nowadays hard to make work and don’t bother with such because my income for California isn’t that high . I’m at 62k just for help desk . Livable ? Sure and to go out on dates and have a working partner ever better if no kids

To support a spouse with kids ( or not ) kinda sounds tough while not saving much. Overtime? Sure but do I wanna be working overtime most of my life ? Not really
Get promoted ? Sure but isn’t always guaranteed to happen

The reason I ask too is because my most recent date was laying it down she was looking for a husband to take care of her cuz she sees the man as the primary provider and the lady to stay home and care for the house and kids if any. But I was just flat out honest I can’t provide that lifestyle with the cost of living crushing me down. I recently move back home with my family too because rent is nuts in California and better I stay close with my family
I can’t say that I’ve seen a world any where in the neighborhood of where you describe it. I don’t see “so many people” looking to be supported financially. What I see is a lot of people working their hind ends off while a smaller group of people are getting richer off their back’s. Most people; married, dating, in relationships, not in relationships are supporting themselves (unless they hit the wealthy parents or government benefits jackpot)

Old 02-06-2024, 06:50 AM

36,539 posts, read 30,885,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post

Reality in Los Angeles and reality in Kansas are not the same. It's no different from the housing market in Boston being very different from the housing market in Las Vegas.
That doesn't change the bottom line that 60% of women between the ages of 16 and 24 are in the workforce. Cant be that many young women looking for a 6 foot tall millionaire to take care of them. Fantasizing maybe but we all do that, doesn't mean we believe it will happen.

Old 02-06-2024, 07:06 AM

36,539 posts, read 30,885,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
There is a unique culture that has been developing out West.

There has always been a sub-culture around Hollywood of fast money and over indulgence.

Now these 'Influencers' are wealthy, and projecting their lack of morals to a willing crowd.

Teens everywhere who follow that sub-culture are drawn into it.

Any young female who can produce a child can have financial support from the state for twenty years, without concern for a husband. If they can add court-ordered support from the 'baby daddy' so much the better.

I need to stop before I sound too conservative.
I going to be positive and believe most young females are intelligent and have enough ambition to realize being a single mother living off the government teat hounding a dead beat for 300 dollars a month for 18 years is not a life.

Actual statistics as opposed to YouTube show a declining birth rate and a decline in single mothers raising kids alone as well the number of women getting degrees, and entering the workforce.

I think overall it's the younger generation that just doesn't have the work ethic of previous generations.

Old 02-12-2024, 05:20 PM

20,728 posts, read 19,374,196 times
Quote:
Yea she was very attractive. Just looking for a husband to care for her for life though.

I just don’t understand how people think it’s so easy to pull that off with how cost of living is going though nowadays . Food, rent, date nights out, cars and me having the desire to one day have a home and travel constantly

Plus if we broke up ? What would happen then ? Alimony or palimony

Beautiful yeah but very lazy.

Sure there are men that make more than six figures but certainly that’s not the case for every gentleman

whatcha do is find a girl like that when you are in you early 30s if that is what you want. You want a real wife do not run up the bar tab and waste time chasing them . Also if that is what she wants she is going to want men in at least their 30s. because that is expensive. She should be looking for older and established.That was how it used to be. More or less what I did but she was not really lazy. Its just that being mother and taking care of a house, (well that is) takes time. She is a skilled pianist , and now that the kids are grown she puts in 20, 25 hours and adds income. Does a lot of other stuff too. Don't want her to be lazy, but does not need to be a career girl. Not for me anyway.. Kids are bilingual and know how to play the piano too. All thanks to her.

I am also resourceful . I figured out how to do it with one car , and we are both very capable with food preparation. Rarely eat out. I will make a stock and she will make soup with it. and so on I grow food in buckets have wild food hobby, Know how to invest consistently etc. .

Last edited by gwynedd1; 02-12-2024 at 05:49 PM..

Old 02-12-2024, 05:48 PM

20,728 posts, read 19,374,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
I going to be positive and believe most young females are intelligent and have enough ambition to realize being a single mother living off the government teat hounding a dead beat for 300 dollars a month for 18 years is not a life.

Actual statistics as opposed to YouTube show a declining birth rate and a decline in single mothers raising kids alone as well the number of women getting degrees, and entering the workforce.

I think overall it's the younger generation that just doesn't have the work ethic of previous generations.

Typical straw man argument . No one is advocating this hot garbage. My wife stayed at home with young kids while keeping her skill as a pianist and is now back to it. Amazing what can happen with trust and a plan.

I worked at McDonald's and to tell the truth , its not unlike every job I ever had because all jobs have an enormous amount of monotony. In one ten year span seemed like all I was doing was something on layer7 proxies. When I did work at McDonald's, I read Dante's Inferno on my lunch break. Nothing has changed. Most work is just work. "A glorious battle" in one of Caesar's memoirs featured many long hours of constructing fortifications in one boring, consistent pattern.

Old 02-13-2024, 12:01 PM

30,896 posts, read 36,975,933 times
Quote:
Half of what I earn would be going to rent if I left my parents house though that’s the problem. Rent on Average is 1500$ monthly where I live if I decide to go anywhere else. California is a tough place overall if ur not a high earner but that’s the point I’m making. This isn’t the case for everyone

Because I work for a school it’s obvious your earnings wouldn’t be as good as other possibly but in a way I love the job I work at so it’s not easy to leave. Plus anywhere else is more tough

I make that clear to anyone but it wouldn’t surprise me to see grown adults live with their parents due to the high cost of living.

If ur living on ur own even that can quickly get expensive. But if that’s expensive as is already I just don’t see how its realistic to support a spouse that wants to be taken care for most of her life and this is before kids are being discussed why is why I question how the hell do couples like that make it work?
Honestly, you should seriously consider moving out of California. The state is not going to become more affordable any time soon, if ever. So don't beat your head against a wall. You can get a help desk job anywhere.

If you're living with your parents, I sure hope you're saving that $1500 that you'd be paying in rent, so that you have future options.

As another poster said, finding a way to earn more income would be a good thing, too.

I was an underearner in my lifetime. Fortunately, I was a good saver. But I definitely could have experienced more if I'd put more effort into earning more income. (Could have had a nicer lifestyle and saved more, too!).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships