Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-22-2024, 12:55 PM

36,563 posts, read 30,891,756 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post

And...again...the basic premise of "my behavior/words were intended as X, but other person/people/woman/women read it as Y, which was not my intent, and I don't know what I did wrong"...that sounds like the struggle that many autistic folks have to live with. At the very least if not, some of the similar social coaching that exists for them could perhaps be helpful, if someone wants to be helped.
That is a good point, had not considered that.

Old 03-22-2024, 01:54 PM

11,802 posts, read 12,043,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
It probably comes down to this- OP posted in #34.

Men don't want to be associated with or mistaken for the guys who do cause problems. "I'm one of the good guys so don't treat me like I'm one of those brutes or I'll be very insulted". It's a kind of personal butt hurt which is pretty common. They should understand it's not personal.

But what are you gonna do, these women don't know him and there is no magic trick when it comes to women who are particularly sensitive such that a man really just going about his day causes her distress or fear.

It may just be that OP is fine, but is sensitive enough to notice when women are uncomfortable whereas a lot of men would have no idea.
The thing that trips me up, which is why I think Sonic's questions about being on the spectrum are valid, is that men going about their day aren't causing distress to women for merely existing.

From the thread that Dave linked, the OP was causing distress to someone he knew and I don't know if it was deliberate or not, but he immediately extrapolates it to I'd better stay away from all women ever. The average man does not think or react like that so there is something else going on.

Old 03-22-2024, 02:39 PM

20,398 posts, read 14,683,356 times
The other thing about that, too, is that sometimes solving the issue within oneself can incidentally also help resolve the other thing that one thought was the actual problem...but wasn't.

What I mean in this situation, is that there's something called mirroring. Very powerful among humans, but it exists with other animals as well. Anyone who works with animals might know, if you seem nervous and afraid of them, it can make them anxious, nervous, even hostile, right? So if rather than seeing "women, and how they see me" as the primary problem...if this OP (or others with this issue) instead work on making themselves more at ease in public spaces, letting go worrying so much about what anyone else is thinking...find ways to calm those rejection sensitive dysphoria voices and just BE... Then incidentally as they give off less anxious overthinking vibes and nervous body language, others may be more able to relax in their proximity.

To some extent I think it's possible that this dude might try worrying less about women's anxiety and worry more about resolving his own. 'Cause even if he wanted to "make women feel safe" somehow...he's not so likely to accomplish that if he doesn't feel safe, himself. Sometimes what you put out there is what you get back.

Old 03-22-2024, 06:02 PM

11,411 posts, read 7,814,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSykes View Post
If so, in what contexts and why? And do women have any reciprocal responsibility towards men?
Nope. As long as don’t make women feel unsafe, it’s all good.

Old 03-22-2024, 06:23 PM

3,085 posts, read 5,242,693 times
What's the difference between making a woman feel safe and not making a woman feel unsafe?

Old 03-22-2024, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katnan View Post
IMO it does matter.

I think it reflects poorly on the OP that he’s even asking this, and I do question his character and behaviours.
This is an unfair assessment.

Old 03-22-2024, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katnan View Post
The thing that trips me up, which is why I think Sonic's questions about being on the spectrum are valid, is that men going about their day aren't causing distress to women for merely existing.

From the thread that Dave linked, the OP was causing distress to someone he knew and I don't know if it was deliberate or not, but he immediately extrapolates it to I'd better stay away from all women ever. The average man does not think or react like that so there is something else going on.
I'm not on any spectrum. I don't think it's unfair to extrapolate from that experience (and plenty other experiences) that perhaps I should limit my interactions with women.

Old 03-22-2024, 06:39 PM

867 posts, read 724,463 times
Quote:
What's the difference between making a woman feel safe and not making a woman feel unsafe?

Let me try to illustrate through examples. None of these involve romantic partners. None of these are guarantees, because there can always be extenuating circumstances.

Making a woman feel safe:

There is an unruly crowd waiting at a train platform in a foreign country where the woman does not speak the language. A male friend, who has been in this situation before and knows what to do, helps her navigate the crowd and board the train. That man has probably made the woman feel safe.

Not making a woman feel unsafe:

A woman is walking along a street, alone. A man she does not know passes her by without staring at her, breaking his stride, or giving any kind of indication that he is going to approach or follow her. That man has probably not made that woman feel unsafe.

Old 03-22-2024, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaic View Post
Let me try to illustrate through examples. None of these involve romantic partners. None of these are guarantees, because there can always be extenuating circumstances.

Making a woman feel safe:

There is an unruly crowd waiting at a train platform in a foreign country where the woman does not speak the language. A male friend, who has been in this situation before and knows what to do, helps her navigate the crowd and board the train. That man has probably made the woman feel safe.

Not making a woman feel unsafe:

A woman is walking along a street, alone. A man she does not know passes her by without staring at her, breaking his stride, or giving any kind of indication that he is going to approach or follow her. That man has probably not made that woman feel unsafe.
I was once walking in a park years ago and started closing in on a woman who was walking slower than me. The sun was in the process of setting and it was starting to get a little dusky. When she noticed I was about 10 or so feet behind her, she took off running. Is it fair to assume she felt unsafe in that moment? If she indeed took off running because she felt unsafe, is there anything I could (should) have done differently so as to minimize my perceived threat towards her?

Old 03-22-2024, 11:44 PM

19,795 posts, read 22,695,361 times
Quote:
If so, in what contexts and why? And do women have any reciprocal responsibility towards men?
I love my wife. We've been together since 16 years of age. 40 years total. I would take a bullet for her or push her away from an oncoming bus with me in her place.

I love her. I expect nothing in return.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships