Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-26-2024, 10:19 AM

36,499 posts, read 30,827,524 times

Advertisements

Apparently, someone was perplexed by my use of the word fearful.

Yes, some women are fearful around men to varying degrees. Some to the point of being unfounded I believe, but most at least to the point of guarding their own safety.

I think what men should do about it has been covered in this thread. IMO, just be aware that on some level most women must be cautious for their own safety so try not to be intimidating and don't take their reactions to a perceived potential threat personally. That is about all you can do. Those men that are creepy and threatening or pose an actual threat aren't going to care if women are fearful or uncomfortable around them.

Old 03-26-2024, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielsa1775 View Post
OK then tell how the use of the word "you" can be been associated with the phrase "Hive Mind, and try to surpise me with a clear and concise response?
I really can't make you understand that if you don't already.

But I will break it down for you.

The word "you" can be used to address one person.
The word "you" can be used to address more than one person.
The word "you" can be used to indicate people in general.

When using the word "you" to indicate people in general relating to a thought or acknowledgment it can be associated with a collective mental activity.

You indicated that you, danielsa, were not addressing one person (me directly), therefore it must be people in general. Given the subject, IYO, is men vs women the people in general would be women collectively.

"All you need to do is actually acknowledge gender abuse and domestic violence against men actually exists"

"Show me where I said it did not."

"I never actutally said you did not"

Maybe you should surprise me and be clear and concise with your words and your use of the word "you".

Old 03-26-2024, 10:55 AM

19,609 posts, read 12,206,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Apparently, someone was perplexed by my use of the word fearful.

Yes, some women are fearful around men to varying degrees. Some to the point of being unfounded I believe, but most at least to the point of guarding their own safety.

I think what men should do about it has been covered in this thread. IMO, just be aware that on some level most women must be cautious for their own safety so try not to be intimidating and don't take their reactions to a perceived potential threat personally. That is about all you can do. Those men that are creepy and threatening or pose an actual threat aren't going to care if women are fearful or uncomfortable around them.
I'm concerned about the men who point out equal rights, which to them apparently means women all of a sudden acquired equal physical strength to men.

Old 03-26-2024, 11:12 AM

5,058 posts, read 7,495,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
I really can't make you understand that if you don't already.

But I will break it down for you.

The word "you" can be used to address one person.
The word "you" can be used to address more than one person.
The word "you" can be used to indicate people in general.

When using the word "you" to indicate people in general relating to a thought or acknowledgment it can be associated with a collective mental activity.

You indicated that you, danielsa, were not addressing one person (me directly), therefore it must be people in general. Given the subject, IYO, is men vs women the people in general would be women collectively.

"All you need to do is actually acknowledge gender abuse and domestic violence against men actually exists"

"Show me where I said it did not."

"I never actutally said you did not"

Maybe you should surprise me and be clear and concise with your words and your use of the word "you".
OK now i understand, - basically it comes down to different variations of the same language in different parts of the world.

Old 03-26-2024, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
I'm concerned about the men who point out equal rights, which to them apparently means women all of a sudden acquired equal physical strength to men.
From a violence and safety standpoint, I think bigger issue should be the seemingly growing number of women who think they actually are physically as strong as your typical guy.

Old 03-27-2024, 01:30 AM

Quote:
I'm concerned about the men who point out equal rights, which to them apparently means women all of a sudden acquired equal physical strength to men.[/b]
In modern western societies, what "rights" do men have that women currently do not?

To me personally, "equal rights" is far more to do with things like equal accesss to children in custody battles, enforcing gender quotas in industries like child care, primary teaching and nursing, to match the ones designed to get women into the police force, Army, IT and mining industries etc, and dare i say it (Sorry Ms Mares and Spork), an increase in awareness campaings about how things like domestic violence affect men, and actually promoting the very important roles dads play in raising children - in a more positive light .

Rather than concerntrating on the actions of the minority of dads who are terrible ones as normal, how about we concerntrate on the actions of the majority of dads who are actually great at the job - as normal.

Basically I think we need to counter all the laws/policies and media campaings etc designed to get women into tradtional male fields, with equal and opposite ones designed to get men into traditional female fields, personally i do not see howwe could not benefit from this in the long run.

Last edited by danielsa1775; 03-27-2024 at 02:11 AM..

Old 03-27-2024, 06:43 AM

14,956 posts, read 9,790,824 times
Quote:
I know of no man who would ever say that or think that. First off we all have the same rights, and secondly every man and every rational woman knows that men are physically stronger, given all things being equal..

Old 03-27-2024, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielsa1775 View Post
In modern western societies, what "rights" do men have that women currently do not?

To me personally, "equal rights" is far more to do with things like equal accesss to children in custody battles, enforcing gender quotas in industries like child care, primary teaching and nursing, to match the ones designed to get women into the police force, Army, IT and mining industries etc, and dare i say it (Sorry Ms Mares and Spork), an increase in awareness campaings about how things like domestic violence affect men, and actually promoting the very important roles dads play in raising children - in a more positive light .

Rather than concerntrating on the actions of the minority of dads who are terrible ones as normal, how about we concerntrate on the actions of the majority of dads who are actually great at the job - as normal.

Basically I think we need to counter all the laws/policies and media campaings etc designed to get women into tradtional male fields, with equal and opposite ones designed to get men into traditional female fields, personally i do not see howwe could not benefit from this in the long run.
Who said women did not have the same rights in our society today? I think you misunderstood the comment. It was about men bring up,"well women wanted/have equal rights so they should XYZ, in her example have or be expected to have equal physical strength to men.

Actually, men do have equal rights in custody battles, 50-70% of men are granted custody WHEN THEY REQUEST IT. Perhaps more men should put in equal parenting time before the divorce.

Where is it you see gender quotas today? Perhaps you mean promoting equal opportunities.
You realize most men do not want jobs in childcare, or primary teaching as these are low-paying jobs
and nursing doesn't seem to appeal to many men. On 12% of licensed nurses are men yet that number has increased by ~59% in the past 10 years. As well most women do not want to be police officer's, military or miners.

I'm not sure why you keep insinuating I am not aware of domestic violence against men. Just because I point out the facts on domestic violence against women? Or the fact men are physically stronger and violence against women results in more serious injury and death?

It is not my job to concentrate on dads doing a great job. This thread is about men's responsibility to make women feel safe. Start a thread on dads if you want to discuss that.

Old 03-27-2024, 07:45 AM

14,956 posts, read 9,790,824 times
Fathers are granted custody only 18.3% of the time in the US.

https://www.divorcelawyersformen.com...f%20the%20time

Old 03-27-2024, 07:57 AM

29,739 posts, read 34,357,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_n_Tenn View Post
Fathers are granted custody only 18.3% of the time in the US.

https://www.divorcelawyersformen.com...f%20the%20time
That infographic and web site don't have a source for that data. They're throwing around numbers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships