Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2008, 05:07 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,170,643 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrstewart View Post
When I was in labor the nurse asked if I wanted a mirror to "watch"! I started laughing and asked her "Now why in hell would I want to see that???"

With that said, if I can't watch why would I expect my husband to be able to withstand that visual???
I know... and some even take video to watch later... Why in the world would you wanna do that?!

I really think there's nothing wrong with the guy waiting behind the door.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2008, 05:30 PM

1,461 posts, read 3,652,797 times
I don't think there is anything like the miracle of childbirth
My first husband was there for all three of the kids. You couldn't have kept him out. And I'm sorry but I don't think there is any gross smell!
I was there when my two grand babies were born. My daughter's husband was more comfortable at her head and supporting but not watching. My daughter said, "he can gut a deer but can't watch childbirth" To watch the first grand daughter be born was such a moving experience for me.
I worked on a life squad for 15 years and delivered two babies. It was the thrill of a lifetime. I told people it was the thrill of childbirth with no pain on my part I am just in a state of wonder watching the process and humbled at watching a new life come into the world.

Old 06-23-2008, 05:59 PM

287 posts, read 897,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Seeing it, smelling it, Boo hoo! Try hours of contractions that end in having to push the darn thing out thru a canal thats not exactly a good fit.

All that apparently didnt have a negative affect on my dh because he was ready to get back at it much sooner than I was after delivery.
Isn't that the truth! As humans we have the ability to forget things that bother us, like bad smells and sights for you guys and pain for us. Sometimes we turn around and do it all over again!

Old 06-23-2008, 06:06 PM

2,358 posts, read 5,982,998 times
Even with all the hellaciousness of pregnancy and childbirth that I hear and read about, the only thing that makes me wish I had been able to get pregnant is that I will never experience childbirth and bearing my own children. Of course, I wouldn't have the amazing kids I have today if I had been able to do that, so I wouldn't change a thing now. We consider our labor the 2 years of fertility treatments, the 4 years it took to adopt both girls and the total of 29 hours in airplanes and airports with very unhappy children, one of whom cried for all but 20 minutes of the entire flight from Moscow to Atlanta. Like women who have lived through the pain of labor, we rarely remember how difficult it was to 'bear' our two wonderful children. And finally, hubby was able to watch the entire thing and he didn't feel like throwing up .

Added later: hubby never lost interest in sex after adopting the kids!

Last edited by cmacf1; 06-23-2008 at 07:02 PM..

Old 06-23-2008, 06:25 PM

202 posts, read 534,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by once-upon-chicago View Post
Isn't that the truth! As humans we have the ability to forget things that bother us, like bad smells and sights for you guys and pain for us.
Oh, we men block pain out too. I don't remember what, exactly, my kidney stone felt like... I just remember that it reduced me to little more than a wounded animal.

Old 06-23-2008, 06:26 PM

30,902 posts, read 33,008,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AuburnJack View Post
Oh, we men block pain out too. I don't remember what, exactly, my kidney stone felt like... I just remember that it reduced me to little more than a wounded animal.
Yeah, my husband says he doesn't remember more than five minutes of our wedding day.

Old 06-23-2008, 06:29 PM

1,490 posts, read 2,033,337 times
Some men know they do not want to see the details of childbirth. Women should listen to them. Try to take their ego out of it.

Some guys really do turn off sexually after watching a birth. It's just what happens and they usually know this about themselves. Ladies, if you are having a baby and your husband is a nice man in all other ways but who is trying to tell you that he doesn't want to watch, listen to him. I think you'll be glad you did and he will too.

On the other hand, some guys are really into it...filming, etc. Just don't guilt the poor guy into it if he is very uncomfortable. What's the point of that anyway. It should be such a great occasion, don't have a hostage in the delivery room.

Old 06-23-2008, 07:33 PM

12,169 posts, read 17,649,226 times
If there is no blood shed within the first 5 minutes of a movie, a man will change the channel...go figure.

Old 06-23-2008, 07:55 PM

9,912 posts, read 13,903,517 times
Never mind the fella losing all interest in sex after seeing child birth I reckon if I had to go through all that I'd be so cranky with him for getting me up the duff in the first place let alone suffering the horrors of child birth because of him, (quite unreasonably I'm sure ) that I'd be on strike indefinitely.

And never mind me watching it or videoing it!!! I'm still trying to recover from the "horrible images I will carry with me for the rest of my life" from having the misfortune to have a gynae who thought every women would want to see him take their cervical biopsy on the big screen!!!

Yeah, childbirth is a beautiful, magical thing and I'm sure one of the greatest moments in your life, but I reckon I'll be ok without it. But power to those of you who have braved it and the fellas that have been there with you. I think I'm too old and too aware of what's involved for it to ever be something I'll experience. Supposing I ever found myself giving birth, and the odds are miniscule, and supposing he wanted to be present, there's NO WAY he'd be down that end of it! meh! I'm a prude!

Old 06-23-2008, 07:57 PM

13,784 posts, read 26,253,509 times
The only time my husband said he felt queazy was during an emergency c section...said I looked like a filet of fish. Nice, huh?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships