Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-22-2008, 05:53 PM

4,273 posts, read 15,251,178 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eatfastnoodle View Post
Having racists bent on killing minorities is bad, but having a bunch of drug addicts who are willing to kill for a few bucks are even worse.
Well, tell that to the black lady that lives in a drug-filled neighborhood.

I don't necessarily disagree with you, however, but itwould be interesting to see some statistics that show percentages on types of violent crimes, or any crime for that matter but I guess that is for another post!

Old 09-22-2008, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
parents are no longer raising their children. They're putting that job off on someone else, or not doing it at all.
I can definitely agree with that statement.

Old 09-22-2008, 06:40 PM

4,589 posts, read 13,162,993 times
Quote:
That's why I'm for gun control. Your average citizen cannot be trusted with a gun. But violence IS more pervasive because parents are no longer raising their children. They're putting that job off on someone else, or not doing it at all.
I don't like guns either, I really see no need for the general public to have them but the reason i'm responding to you is this......parents are no longer raising their children? Really? Because I raise mine and I think I do a pretty good job of it . That sounds like a pretty generalized statment, I could possibly agree with that if you inserted "some" before "parents" .

Old 09-23-2008, 03:25 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,647,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lola8822 View Post
I don't like guns either, I really see no need for the general public to have them but the reason i'm responding to you is this......parents are no longer raising their children? Really? Because I raise mine and I think I do a pretty good job of it . That sounds like a pretty generalized statment, I could possibly agree with that if you inserted "some" before "parents" .
If you're not part of a two-parent household, then your attention is split, and you're not devoting the time to the kids that they need. One parent works, and the other parent is there for the kids. You can't be THERE for your kids if you're off at work.

Old 09-23-2008, 07:57 AM

Quote:
If you're not part of a two-parent household, then your attention is split, and you're not devoting the time to the kids that they need. One parent works, and the other parent is there for the kids. You can't be THERE for your kids if you're off at work.
Wow, that's ignorant....

Sooo, I should quit my job and take my kid out of school so I can parent them to the likness of your standards? lol, your in favor of home school aren't ya

I'm not a single parent but my husband and I both work and our 6 year old is in school....parenting is soooo much more than what you describe. I feel like i'm a better parent for working, I truly feel like if I stayed home all day it wouldn't make me a better mom at all, not in the least.....

Old 09-23-2008, 08:13 AM

In today's society, other than a handful of people, do parents even have much of a choice? Take my good buddy for instance. She lives in New York City and her and her husband just had a baby girl a couple of months old. He's an architech making less than 100K and she's a business-type making $100+K. If you don't know NYC, it's got one of the highest standards of living. If she didn't work and they just lived off of her hubby's salary, they would not make it. Or, maybe, just maybe, they could barely make do, be stressed about money all the time and take it out on each other. What kind of environment would that be for the child?

Old 09-23-2008, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by foma View Post
In today's society, other than a handful of people, do parents even have much of a choice? Take my good buddy for instance. She lives in New York City and her and her husband just had a baby girl a couple of months old. He's an architech making less than 100K and she's a business-type making $100+K. If you don't know NYC, it's got one of the highest standards of living. If she didn't work and they just lived off of her hubby's salary, they would not make it. Or, maybe, just maybe, they could barely make do, be stressed about money all the time and take it out on each other. What kind of environment would that be for the child?
I agree.....I do not "have to" work, I choose to work, I feel that what I do is extremely important. It's beyond money for me, it's setting an example for my child which is a HUGE part of parenting. Both my parents worked and my brothers and I all now have very successful careers. I wouldn't change a thing about how I was raised because I feel like by having parents who worked I actually got more quality time with them plus the benefit of two Amazing examples to follow. Not only did it instill a tremendous work ethic in us but it also allowed us to be greatful for the many things we were able to experience because of it.

Old 09-23-2008, 08:29 AM

Lola - Nicely said!

My parents worked growing up, too, but they owned restaurant. A restaurant that I had to work in all throughout high school. Stupid child labor. J/K I didn't appreciate it then, but I do appreciate it now. I saw how my mom didn't have to work. She could've easily left it all to my dad but they were a team and it really taught me respect and having a strong work ethic. I think I'm a better person for it!

Old 09-23-2008, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by foma View Post
Lola - Nicely said!

My parents worked growing up, too, but they owned restaurant. A restaurant that I had to work in all throughout high school. Stupid child labor. J/K I didn't appreciate it then, but I do appreciate it now. I saw how my mom didn't have to work. She could've easily left it all to my dad but they were a team and it really taught me respect and having a strong work ethic. I think I'm a better person for it!
Exactly!

Old 09-23-2008, 09:12 AM

78,366 posts, read 60,556,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anu2 View Post
I got into a couple of interesting discussions today with women and we're starting to wonder what men these days are REALLY looking for. If you had the choice, which would you marry?

1) "Traditional" Woman: Has your children, stays at home to take care of them, cooks well, keeps the house very clean, wears very feminine clothing and keeps herself made up/hair done, etc, has sex whenever the husband wants, does more listening than talking, keeps her opinions to herself.

2) "Modern" Woman: Has a full-time job, earns approximately half of the household income, if she has kids she goes back to work by the time each child is 2-3 years old, cooks and cleans but expects her husband to do half of the work, is fashionable but usually wears jeans as opposed to dresses, likes sex but she needs her needs met in bed, is very aware of the economy, politics, the world, etc. and always states her mind.

Men--please choose which one you would marry and also mention your age and any other background about yourself.
I guess I just don't agree with your definitions completely, but I prefer a hybrid of the two.

-Nice, independent....enough so that if financially viable, she's cool with staying home and not feeling *bad* about it. If my wife really wanted to work then she would work and if not then not.

-Healthy sexual relationship between partners where everyone is happy.
(I don't know about other guys here but getting hit on or flat out attacked by the wife instead of being the predominant instigator is a very nice thing.)

-Smart is good but wisdom and personality are the best.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships