Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-23-2008, 12:58 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,663,996 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by foma View Post
In today's society, other than a handful of people, do parents even have much of a choice? Take my good buddy for instance. She lives in New York City and her and her husband just had a baby girl a couple of months old. He's an architech making less than 100K and she's a business-type making $100+K. If you don't know NYC, it's got one of the highest standards of living. If she didn't work and they just lived off of her hubby's salary, they would not make it. Or, maybe, just maybe, they could barely make do, be stressed about money all the time and take it out on each other. What kind of environment would that be for the child?
They could live somewhere other than New York. A city is the worst place to raise a child, and, yes, I DO believe in homeschooling. Why let someone else instill values in YOUR child--it's YOUR responsibility.

Old 09-23-2008, 01:12 PM

4,273 posts, read 15,254,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
They could live somewhere other than New York. A city is the worst place to raise a child, and, yes, I DO believe in homeschooling. Why let someone else instill values in YOUR child--it's YOUR responsibility.
Exactly. And I'm not going to judge my friend for living in the City. It's her job to instill values in HER child and if she wants her kid to be a City Girl instead of a Country Girl, then it's her responsibility. It's not my responsibility to tell her to move out of New York, if I agreed with your viewpoints.

Also, I see nothing wrong with raising a child in an urban setting. Just as I see there's nothing wrong with homeschooling. However, I will say this, it is the parents' responsibilty to instill values, it is also the parents' responsilbility to provide food and shelter. If she's breaking six figures every year, loves her job, loves her lifestyle, then that means she's happy. A happy parent is a good parent.

Last edited by foma; 09-23-2008 at 01:13 PM.. Reason: clarification

Old 09-23-2008, 01:19 PM

4,589 posts, read 13,165,593 times
Quote:
If you, as a parent, have recieved your degree in education I would say that's great otherwise, it's best left to the professionals. It doesn't matter where you raise your child, that's obsured, it's how you raise your child that truly matters. But hey, to each his own I guess

Old 09-23-2008, 01:29 PM

As a child, I found myself correcting these so-called educators. Spelling errors, math errors...so a degree is obviously unimportant, if they don't have simple basic knowledge.

Have you seen the Dictionary of Cultural Literacy? The author got the capital of Florida wrong. It has NEVER been Jacksonville. Instead, the capital is Tallahassee. Now, this fellow purports to give us information every American should know...and he doesn't know the capital of Florida? Makes it hard to take anything else he tells us seriously.

Old 09-23-2008, 02:43 PM

Teachers are human too . Simple spelling mistakes can be made by anyone and are made by everyone at some point or another. And I’m sorry but basing your view of the entire profession of public or private education by coming across a few educators who made a spelling error or some author who didn't get the capital of Florida correct is crazy.

Old 09-23-2008, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lola8822 View Post
Teachers are human too . Simple spelling mistakes can be made by anyone and are made by everyone at some point or another. And I’m sorry but basing your view of the entire profession of public or private education by coming across a few educators who made a spelling error or some author who didn't get the capital of Florida correct is crazy.
When the student knows more than the teacher...in EVERY case...it's a reason to decry the profession.

Old 09-23-2008, 03:04 PM

Quote:
When the student knows more than the teacher...in EVERY case...it's a reason to decry the profession.
Wow....where did you have this experience because I can assure you that is not a mainstream issue......that is unusually extreeme .

Old 09-23-2008, 03:43 PM

1,167 posts, read 1,520,688 times
Woah, this thread is way OT!!!!!

Old 09-23-2008, 04:02 PM

4,273 posts, read 15,254,417 times
Quote:
Wow....where did you have this experience because I can assure you that is not a mainstream issue......that is unusually extreeme .
Lola - this individual's opinions are extreme to say the least. What I'm inferencing here is that she wants all parents to move out in the country and homeschool their kid.

You can't always choose where you want to live. That's just life and making a living. If we homeschooled our kids, we wouldn't have educators. That, IMO, rocks the very foundation of how the education system began. I mean, what would farmers have done 100+ years ago if it weren't for teachers? We'd all be illiterate bumpkins!

Okay, that's a little off tangent here but the point I'm trying to make is that we need to make-do with what we've got. If you have the ability to homeschool your kid and believe in it and have a desire to then that's fine but those of us who don't have the means to do it or don't want to, must rely on the public school systems. Don't knock us for choosing that for our kids.

One can say how horrible the public system is blah blah and that's your perrogative. I admit there are problems but I would never trade my public school experience. I've made some of the greatest friends, have had some of the most intelligent teachers, and if it weren't for public school, I would've never learned to play the violin and have an appreciation for classical music. My parent never listened to that stuff b'c they were too busy putting food on the table. I can't knock 'em for that but I appreciate my orchestra teacher for instilling those values in me.

And to get back ON TOPIC (heehee), men, if you want traditional or modern in your mate, my suggestion is what do you have to offer? Assess what your strengths and weakness are and traditional or modern, hope to find a woman that can complement you.

Last edited by foma; 09-23-2008 at 04:06 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 09-23-2008, 04:21 PM

Quote:
It may have something to do with the fact that I had an extremely high IQ and an insatiable desire to read when I was younger.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships