Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-02-2008, 08:20 PM

104 posts, read 136,583 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepGirl118 View Post
She_Was, my curiosity is why you care so much about what unattached online entities think of you.
I just want to know why people are so mean to intelligent people.

Quote:
You spend so much time typing up your long-winded, grandiose posts - which are so monotonous now that I only read every 3-4 lines of them because much of what you type now is just sing-song, a bunch of garbled mish-mosh.
No. All my most recent posts have been very concise and they've all said the same thing, very clearly: That your accusations were empty.

Quote:
You have set yourself up for the response you have received here, I see you have a knack for it. I actually feel a bit sorry for you, you seem to have some issues with socializing - which is your own doing, you seem to be so bent on setting yourself apart. You do not allow yourself room for anyone to empathize with you due to your robotic and unnatural state of mind. Act a little more human and the pendulum will swing in a different direction.
No. You have control over whether you are rude and you alone. I don't see any reason to feel responsible for the fact that you CHOOSE to be verbally abusive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2008, 08:26 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,249,798 times
*Takes a hit and passes the bong to She_Was*

Here ya go girl. Get stupid and giggle with the rest of us.

Wanna Twinkie?

Old 12-02-2008, 08:36 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,207,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by She_Was_A_Phoenix View Post
I just want to know why people are so mean to intelligent people.
Nobody is mean to intelligent people per se. However, unpleasant people who exhibit grandeur attitude definitely CAN invite such behavior.

Old 12-02-2008, 08:38 PM

Location: Monterey Bay, California -- watching the sea lions, whales and otters! :D
1,918 posts, read 6,788,002 times
Quote:
She_WAS_a_Phoenix: I have an incredibly tenacious attention span that lasts for weeks, months, or even years on a subject I am interested in. But when I am presented with something that I am not interested in, its like I have ADD. I'd have easier time staring at the wall.

Its as if my attention span has ONLY two positions:

1. Heat-Seeking Missile.
2. Dead to the world.

I'm either so riveted I'm barely aware of physical reality (Einstein had this problem - he used to leave the house without clothes on... I FEEL BLESSED THAT I ALWAYS REMEMBER MINE! LOL!) or I'm staring off into the distance at sparkly things (Intelligent people are often misdiagnosed with ADD because of this - the only difference is that we can stick with reading a book for hours - I guess people with ADD can't do that for some reason.).
I won't quote your whole post. You never mentioned what work/career you're involved in.

What are your passions (I know you're interested in a lot, but what topics/skills) that get you going?

I have to admit that this doesn't sound truly related to IQ. What you have expressed -- and being a forum, it's hard to really know what's what, so one can only surmise -- sounds more like a combination of various psychological complexities. For instance, your bouncing off the walls and racing from one thing to another and obsessing about topics, ignoring even physical needs, sure sounds like bi-polar traits, not to mention OCD (Obsessive Compulsive Disorder). Not being able to identify emotions of others is rather disturbing -- it seems to indicate an inability to feel normal emotions and a need to "practice" identifiable emotions. I may be totally off-base, but much of what you describe are classic traits in the DSM-IV.

If you are truly sincere in wanting to interact with people on an acceptable level, and considering the ways you say that you react, there are a few things I would suggest, since we have no clue what kind of work you are involved in.

With your hyperactive, obsessive, and fluctuating moods, but....a quick mind, creative curiosity, and an openness to a variety of ideas, I'd suggest joining up with a new, creative, start-up business that could use someone with loads of high energy, a quick mind, an obsessive nature to stay at task researching, and, presumably, a variety of skills.

Of course, if you are not able to contain your wild swings, then you may well find yourself back at square one. You're obviously interested in psychology, and I'd guess you have already self-diagnosed, and have some ideas of what you project.

Either get involved as a research subject in a field that could utilize your "gifts," or find a business or "think tank" to bounce ideas off of.

Sensitivity, acute observation skills, and intelligence can serve you well in many areas. If the emotional instability is what trips you up, then the only choice you have is to try to get it under control. It is true that most "normal" businesses, research projects, and professionals would find that kind of behavior distracting to their own concentration. Because you have an interest in self-introspection, surely you can harness your energy to put it to good use to improve your social interaction skills.

I realize this may sound flippant, but I don't mean it to be, however, I do suggest that you find a good (very intelligent and highly observant) therapist/psychologist (not necessarily a psychiatrist, as they mainly deal in drugs), and see if you can find a more constructive and positive way to harness your contrary emotions/outbursts/obsessions/confusion about feelings and other people.

I have no idea who you really are, or what your situation is. For those of you who have been on C-D for awhile, it could be another NAH (Need Affordable Home) whom we followed with zest, suggestions, even compiled a travelog for and were disappointed when we discovered that it wasn't as we thought.

If, in fact, you are honest and sincere, then in order to function in society, you'll have to acknowledge that, smart or not, there may be some deep issues you need to deal with.

I give you the benefit of the doubt, only because I have personally known people exhibiting many of these traits. Unfortunately, their obsessive natures, and refusal to try to change, have socially inhibited them, and neither have a relationship (and they are in their late 50s), or have ever married. There comes a point where one has to take personal responsibility for her situation, and then has to effect changes willingly. Other than that, you are left with interesting stories, absorbing time alone, but no real intimate life. When I listen to my friends' complaints, I realize (and so do they, actually) that what they claim they want will just not occur (a close relationship). Sometimes intelligent people have disorders that prohibit them from a normal life, just as less intelligent people can have similar problems.

Since you have described behaviors that probably would scare off a potential suitor, then the power falls into your own hands -- you get to choose if you want to pursue using your mind to make beneficial changes, or if you don't and are willing to accept life as it is. Those are really the two choices if you're talking about a relationship. Of course, sometimes people with similar difficulties find each other and it works out -- you never know.

I'd by-pass the IQ component and deal with the other issues you have listed because they sound much more difficult for you than being intelligent. I empathize with your distress, however, at least you know what you're like, and self-acceptance is half the battle. And have a little fun!

Quote:
WyoNewk *Takes a hit and passes the bong to She_Was*

Here ya go girl. Get stupid and giggle with the rest of us.

Wanna Twinkie?
Just saw this -- actually, not a bad idea!!

Good luck to you.

Old 12-02-2008, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheImportersWife View Post
Can I ask a somewhat personal question? Do you have a job or career? I would imagine your "traits" would interfere with a typical job or career.
HAHAHAHAHA! Oh man. You really hit the nail on the head there with the pertinent question. No offense taken!

The thoughts do not go away at work. I am writing them down and multitasking doing work at the same time. Sometimes I sneak a notebook into the bathroom if I get something really good and have to write a few pages and don't want to look like I've stopped working! Lol.

I have all these THOUGHTS! And I'm solving problems! I have all these answers and I want to go out there and help the world SO BAD! But I am stuck wasting my brain 40 hours a week doing stuff that totally just... can't help the world anywhere near as much at work as I can help it doing what comes naturally. I feel like I'm getting paid to move one pea at a time when I could use my brain to move the whole freaking field.

I should be in some kinda lab or something somewhere putting my brain to use. Sigh. It is the fate of MANY geniuses. You'd be surprised how many of us work at grocery stores and fast food restaurants!

I am able to work full time like anyone else and I do have a career and I am grateful that it is better than the grocery store. But all day every day I lament that I am not spending every waking free second using my rare brain to help the world! It is torture to know what I can do and to force myself to do something else!

I am working on liberating myself though so I can work on solving the world's problems full time! It hasn't been easy to plot my path out of the rat race, but I am going to find a way to become a full time world-saving genius, or die trying!

Old 12-02-2008, 08:51 PM

WyoNewk,

Aww thank you.

You don't even WANT to know what THC does to my mutated brain...

Or do you?

I can't have twinkies. I have so many allergies and intolerances... That is one side effect of giftedness believe it or not! And auto-immune disorders, too. Thankfully I don't have one of those!

Old 12-02-2008, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
Nobody is mean to intelligent people per se. However, unpleasant people who exhibit grandeur attitude definitely CAN invite such behavior.
Sigh. I am failing to see what exactly I am saying wrong.

Everyone wants to accuse me of all this stuff.

But not a single person has QUOTED a sentence I said that they thought was wrong!

So I have NO IDEA what they are talking about!

I am really starting to believe they're just making stuff up because they want to hate on me.

Quote a few statements that rubbed you the wrong way?

Maybe that will help me!

Old 12-02-2008, 09:01 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,249,798 times
Quote:
WyoNewk,

Aww thank you.

You don't even WANT to know what THC does to my mutated brain...

Or do you?

Don't tell me. You get philosophical!

Old 12-02-2008, 09:03 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,207,344 times
Quote:

Maybe that will help me!
Your entire personality rubs me the wrong way as it obviously does many others. There's no humor, no lightness, no humility in you. As somebody said your posts sound robotic. You're taking yourself too seriously. Lighten up! And you're not going to spend your time in a relationship taking IQ tests. Even though having similar general intellect is important, a humane approach to people is way more essential.

Old 12-02-2008, 09:22 PM

Location: Monterey Bay, California -- watching the sea lions, whales and otters! :D
1,918 posts, read 6,788,002 times
Quote:
She_Was_A_Phoenix

Maybe that will help me!
Quote:
SierraAZ: Your entire personality rubs me the wrong way as it obviously does many others. There's no humor, no lightness, no humility in you. As somebody said your posts sound robotic. You're taking yourself too seriously. Lighten up! And you're not going to spend your time in a relationship taking IQ tests. Even though having similar general intellect is important, a humane approach to people is way more essential.
You know, Sierra, I am beginning to think I know this individual who has posted under another name...........could be wrong, but I'm getting a "hunch" about it.

Sorry She_Was.....but I think I might know you..... I won't give it away, but it's just there.....hmmmmmmmmmm

Whatever you do, She_Was_A_Phoenix, you may not want to live in Phoenix (again).

It's been weird and fun....but it's also getting a bit too weirdly familiar. It was fun while it lasted.

Night folks! Keep up the good work -- at least it's fun to read! Good posts!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships