Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-02-2008, 09:26 PM

13,782 posts, read 26,309,527 times

Advertisements

I just DM'd you but I think I know what you are getting at now...hmmmmm....ya' think???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisteria View Post

You know, Sierra, I am beginning to think I know this individual who has posted under another name...........could be wrong, but I'm getting a "hunch" about it.

Sorry She_Was.....but I think I might know you..... I won't give it away, but it's just there.....hmmmmmmmmmm

Whatever you do, She_Was_A_Phoenix, you may not want to live in Phoenix (again).

It's been weird and fun....but it's also getting a bit too weirdly familiar. It was fun while it lasted.

Night folks! Keep up the good work -- at least it's fun to read! Good posts!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2008, 09:27 PM

104 posts, read 136,800 times
Quote:
I won't quote your whole post. You never mentioned what work/career you're involved in.
My career is unimportant to me. It is only a backup career that pays the bills.

Quote:
What are your passions (I know you're interested in a lot, but what topics/skills) that get you going?
My favorite is psychology.

Quote:
I have to admit that this doesn't sound truly related to IQ. What you have expressed -- and being a forum, it's hard to really know what's what, so one can only surmise -- sounds more like a combination of various psychological complexities. For instance, your bouncing off the walls and racing from one thing to another and obsessing about topics, ignoring even physical needs, sure sounds like bi-polar traits, not to mention OCD (Obsessive Compulsive Disorder). Not being able to identify emotions of others is rather disturbing -- it seems to indicate an inability to feel normal emotions and a need to "practice" identifiable emotions. I may be totally off-base, but much of what you describe are classic traits in the DSM-IV.

Yeah it sure does look crazy, huh?

I have looked into this extensively and read many books - to find out whether I am crazy or what the heck. That was where I started actually - when I didn't know I was a genius. The first thing I thought is that I was nuts. I also thought I was nuts to believe I could do the things I was doing! So I did not suspect intelligence as much as I suspected delusion.

So I researched and researched my butt off. I read I don't even know how many DSM definitions. I finally came across a book called "Misdiagnosis and Dual Diagnosis of Gifted Children and Adults" and that explained EVERYTHING!

We have traits called "Over-excitabilities" that make us really intense and really sensitive. These traits will LOOK like ALL KINDS of colors of crazy - unless you know EXACTLY how to make the distinction. Gifted people are misdiagnosed all the time because we're so weird they don't know what to do with us! They never guess that we're gifted. The psychologists are seeing in tunnel vision - they see a person and look for craziness, and so all they SEE is craziness. Well, I guess I should give them credit - apparently "Misdiagnosis and Dual Diagnosis of Gifted Children and Adults" has been added to college cirriculums THANK GOD. But I have a feeling that was a recent change. It's paradigm doesn't seem to have trickled down to the mainstream yet.

This article on over-excitability will explain the jist of these weirdo differences that are attributed to giftedness and not a symptom of insanity:

Overexcitability and the highly gifted child (http://www.gt-cybersource.org/Record.aspx?NavID=2_0&rid=11248 - broken link)

Don't let the title fool you. Most of the research has been done on children, but that doesn't mean it does not apply to adults! This stuff doesn't go away magically just because you cross the line between 17 years and 364 days and 18 years and zero days...

Quote:
With your hyperactive, obsessive, and fluctuating moods, but....a quick mind, creative curiosity, and an openness to a variety of ideas, I'd suggest joining up with a new, creative, start-up business that could use someone with loads of high energy, a quick mind, an obsessive nature to stay at task researching, and, presumably, a variety of skills.
*Growing grin*

Just did!

*wink*

This is going to be GREAT!!!

Quote:
Of course, if you are not able to contain your wild swings, then you may well find yourself back at square one. You're obviously interested in psychology, and I'd guess you have already self-diagnosed, and have some ideas of what you project.
I wouldn't say I can't contain them. That isn't a problem. Of course containing them is NOT my preference, because it is uncomfortable. But, I manage.

What do you mean by "Some ideas of what you project?"

Maybe YOU have some ideas of what I project?

Lol.

If I were to become aware of any projection, I would get metacognitive on it's ass and it would be removed immediately. If I ever seem to be projecting, I am not aware of it. Please point it out in that case.

Quote:
Either get involved as a research subject in a field that could utilize your "gifts," or find a business or "think tank" to bounce ideas off of.
I have plans.

These things don't happen overnight.

Quote:
Sensitivity, acute observation skills, and intelligence can serve you well in many areas. If the emotional instability is what trips you up
It isn't tripping me up. It presents a challenge. I rise to the challenge. I enjoy my double edged sword. I also acknowledge that it IS a double edged sword.

Quote:
Because you have an interest in self-introspection, surely you can harness your energy to put it to good use to improve your social interaction skills.
Nope. That is PRECISELY the problem. I am SO DIFFERENT that I cannot use myself as a model to understand others!

What I would do or think or feel is miles away from what anyone else would do... I have no way to predict them!

I need the textbook "Normals for Dummies."

Lol.

Quote:
I realize this may sound flippant, but I don't mean it to be, however, I do suggest that you find a good (very intelligent and highly observant) therapist/psychologist (not necessarily a psychiatrist, as they mainly deal in drugs), and see if you can find a more constructive and positive way to harness your contrary emotions/outbursts/obsessions/confusion about feelings and other people.
I don't need one. I am handling them just fine.

I know it seems like I must have my hands full, and in a way, I do. But I also have this intelligence that also gives me lots of super duper nifty tools to handle all these challenges that are presented. So I'm all good!

Quote:
I have no idea who you really are, or what your situation is. For those of you who have been on C-D for awhile, it could be another NAH (Need Affordable Home) whom we followed with zest, suggestions, even compiled a travelog for and were disappointed when we discovered that it wasn't as we thought.
But you don't have to help me with all these various things... I have myself and my life under control. The things I would like help on are:

1. Why are people mean to intelligent people? If I said something wrong, quote the specific statment. I will NOT see the error of what I have said unless the EXACT statement is shown to me. I need to be able to analyze it in order to grok it.

2. What do normal people need to feel comfortable around someone who is intelligent? And I don't mean "How can I act like I am not intelligent, or hide my intelligence, or avoid bringing it up." I mean I want to quit hiding. I want to be accepted gay rights style.

What is the secret to being "flaming" intelligent in a room while avoiding being lynched or flamewar'd?

Quote:
If, in fact, you are honest and sincere, then in order to function in society, you'll have to acknowledge that, smart or not, there may be some deep issues you need to deal with.
I already looked thoroughly. I have read everything from the DSM to Mazlow, everything from "The Power of Full Engagement" to Dabrowski. I've read at the Davidson Institute website, I have discussed giftedness and abnormal psychology at length with a developmental psychologist. I have kept logs on myself, and written a zillion journal entries.

I know what I am. I know I am sane. I am sure!

Quote:
I give you the benefit of the doubt, only because I have personally known people exhibiting many of these traits. Unfortunately, their obsessive natures, and refusal to try to change, have socially inhibited them, and neither have a relationship (and they are in their late 50s), or have ever married. There comes a point where one has to take personal responsibility for her situation, and then has to effect changes willingly.
You suggest that they should quit being themselves.

In order to have TRUE love you need to be accepted for what you are!

They are what they are. I don't blame them for their idealism in refusing to try to force themselves to be something they're not just to establish a non-genuine relationship with someone who will never understand them.

I don't think the right thing to do is compromise on being yourself.

Though, I do say - they should use strategy and keep trying.

Quote:
Since you have described behaviors that probably would scare off a potential suitor, then the power falls into your own hands -- you get to choose if you want to pursue using your mind to make beneficial changes, or if you don't and are willing to accept life as it is. Those are really the two choices if you're talking about a relationship. Of course, sometimes people with similar difficulties find each other and it works out -- you never know.
You are assuming that these differences are symptoms of mental disorders.

They are not. Check out "Misdiagnosis and Dual Diagnosis of Gifted Children and Adults" or at least read the article I linked before continuing this subject.

These are not symptoms of mental disorders. What I am describing are features of extreme genius. Many of the people in that IQ range have these too - if they dare to show them. They do understand.

I don't have to hide these my whole life. I just need to find someone else who gets it - someone else who understands. Someone else who has these. And they're quite common among geniuses so thank God for the one stone kills a million birds effect that is the strategy of seeking someone who is similarly gifted!

That's why I'm doing this quest for others! Because we have so many rare traits in common.

Quote:
I'd by-pass the IQ component and deal with the other issues you have listed because they sound much more difficult for you than being intelligent. I empathize with your distress, however, at least you know what you're like, and self-acceptance is half the battle. And have a little fun!
Sigh. It is really wearisome to read these assumptions of me having a problem phrased in 10,000 different ways.

Old 12-02-2008, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoNewk View Post
Don't tell me. You get philosophical!
Well, I can tell you quick if you want.

Old 12-02-2008, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
Your entire personality rubs me the wrong way as it obviously does many others. There's no humor, no lightness, no humility in you. As somebody said your posts sound robotic. You're taking yourself too seriously. Lighten up!
Oh, you were just seeing my logical side before. Usually I come across like I am like an encyclopedia set until I warm up. Weird quirk, I know.

I'm full of them.

I do have a sense of humor. Here ya go:

https://www.city-data.com/forum/6375301-post206.html

Here's a post that isn't robotic. I have an issue with the specific word "humility". The dictionary says it means putting yourself lower than others and I don't think anybody should do that! I won't say I was humble, but I will say I am being human in this post, showing flaws:

https://www.city-data.com/forum/6398809-post332.html

Old 12-02-2008, 09:44 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,318,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by She_Was_A_Phoenix View Post
Well, I can tell you quick if you want.
Quick? By all means!

Old 12-02-2008, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoNewk View Post
Quick? By all means!
Instead of relaxing and getting stupid, I start thinking FASTER.

I S*** you not, sir!

Lol.

Old 12-02-2008, 09:56 PM

11,169 posts, read 10,676,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by She_Was_A_Phoenix View Post
No. You have control over whether you are rude and you alone. I don't see any reason to feel responsible for the fact that you CHOOSE to be verbally abusive.
Negative, I simply just do not like you. Do not confuse that with being verbally abusive. Every action gets a reaction, and I am not hesitant to display mine.

Old 12-02-2008, 09:58 PM

918 posts, read 1,647,914 times
Holy ****....

Who the hell has time to write posts THAT long......

Go outside and do something......

Maybe then you would find a freakin partner.

*ANNOYED*

Old 12-02-2008, 10:00 PM

13,782 posts, read 26,309,527 times
Phoenix, where do you live? Perhaps there are some organizations that would hold your interests in your area. Have you ever been tested on the Autistic spectrum?

Old 12-02-2008, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepGirl118 View Post
Negative, I simply just do not like you. Do not confuse that with being verbally abusive. Every action gets a reaction, and I am not hesitant to display mine.
Verbal abuse is name calling, accusing, insulting, being condescending. All kinds of things.

You were definitely verbally abusive. It doesn't matter WHY you were abusive. You were!

Its like if you said "I simply didn't like the guy I killed. Don't confuse that with murder."

It doesn't fly. Your reasoning doesn't matter. Its your actions that matter.

Even if you do have the right to free speech, that doesn't make it MORALLY OKAY to go around verbally abusing people.

Just because something hasn't been made illegal shouldn't be taken as a sign that it is morally right.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships