Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-29-2008, 01:59 PM

2,514 posts, read 4,959,885 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by She_Was_A_Phoenix View Post

I hope you don't think I have come here to demonstrate "superiority". I haven't.

I am just a lonely alien drifting in hoping to find another lonely alien.

True, I am NOT perfect. But is it really necessary to make an example of me in front of the whole board? You wouldn't do that to a person with a normal IQ. It is still very rude to do that to a person with a high IQ.

We have feelings, too!
Point taken, & while I'm not entirely sold on the explanation, you've certainly given me something to think about. My apologies, ...truly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2008, 02:04 PM

104 posts, read 136,631 times
OA 5599,

"I guess I only really run into problems with this sort of thing when I'm talking with a girl for the first time who I may be interested in...the line between confidence and cockiness is a hard one to draw."

I can take a great deal more "cockiness" than that... But I don't know if the board can... If you want to talk more about your abilities please feel free to use email instead.

I don't think you did a bad job of wording what you were saying. I think the world makes assumptions about anyone who has a high IQ. This is very much the same sort of issue as gays had. When someone came out of the closet, everyone made assumptions and these assumptions caused them to be rude and discriminate against the gay individual. People made assumptions about blacks - they would assume that they are lazy and stupid. Now we know that those assumptions are racist and many people have quit making them.

People make a lot of assumptions about giftedness. I think they just need to be shown that not every gifted person is an elitist, that we believe in equal rights. They need to be told that even if we have amazing abilities this doesn't mean we want to take advantage of them or take their rights away. They need to feel that they are worth something even in a world where incredible people exist. Maybe we just need to tell them that we believe they have worth.

You probably have more in common with them than I do. I am really far out in alien territory. Maybe you can give me some insight on what their assumptions are and how we can show them that we're allright?

Old 11-29-2008, 02:16 PM

StuckPA,

College is geared for people who have slightly higher than average IQ's. Harvard is geared for an IQ of 130 or so. Geniuses can attend Ivy League universities but there are no colleges GEARED for geniuses that I have ever heard of. To a genius, a college degree doesn't mean much anyway. We can teach ourselves anything we want to know - or invent it from scratch. School goes too slow for us and it is often a very painful experience. Many of us can sit in college classes and tell the TEACHER that they're wrong... School is all wrong for us. So I can understand your perspective.

If they require that sperm donors have a degree, it is probably not because they're hoping that everyone who donates will be a genius... It is probably because they're hoping to filter out people who have serious learning problems that prevent them from functioning in school or serious psychological problems that prevent them from attending.

Having a degree is not proof of giftedness, but it probably does quite well to prove a person is not mentally retarded or completely insane. However, not everyone who is gifted or smart or sane will get a degree - so you still have a good point in that it unfairly discriminates against people who DO have the qualities the sperm purchasers are looking for.

Perhaps they should simply provide for other methods that sperm donors can use to prove that they have good genes such as a normal IQ score and a history of stable employment.

Old 11-29-2008, 02:18 PM

WyoNewk,

Oh, good thank you!

Old 11-29-2008, 02:21 PM

JeepGirl118, Driller1,

"I was a average high school student. Worked many low end jobs."

"I regularly skipped school to go tanning and water skiing. I changed my D's to B's with a pen on my report card."

The smartest guy I know works at a grocery store. Sometimes life just doesn't reflect our abilities.

Old 11-29-2008, 02:23 PM

52,381 posts, read 52,844,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by She_Was_A_Phoenix View Post

The smartest guy I know works at a grocery store. Sometimes life just doesn't reflect our abilities.
"Don't judge a book by its cover"

Hard to do.

Old 11-29-2008, 02:27 PM

StuckPA,

Approximately 1 in 12 people are an Aries. But it is definitely fewer than 1 in 12 that shares my interests. I still think my difference in interests is due to my intelligence level.

What sorts of unusual interests do you have?

Old 11-29-2008, 02:30 PM

591 posts, read 1,417,020 times
I've been thinking on this post and I'm starting to think that if he's so perfect..why isn't he taken...Maybe he is expecting too much. Maybe he isn't such a great catch..maybe I'm just full of it today and just don't know..hmmmm..have to think more on this one..

Old 11-29-2008, 02:33 PM

piperspal,

Quote:
Originally Posted by piperspal View Post
Point taken, & while I'm not entirely sold on the explanation, you've certainly given me something to think about. My apologies, ...truly.
Thank you for giving me consideration!

If you would like to discuss this explanation some more I would be happy to give you more information so you can explore the subject. I have never been understood by a normal person before but maybe if you and I discuss this some more, you will see where I am at and we will have an understanding.

I would like it if someone would understand me.

What do you say?

Old 11-29-2008, 02:33 PM

3,440 posts, read 5,726,622 times
Well, I read books a lot, am a college graduate and I like listening to everything from jazz, classical, rock, soul, techno ect.

I like women who READ so we have things to talk about. I like women who at least have some college and like different kinds of music.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships