Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2008, 12:55 AM

104 posts, read 136,757 times

Advertisements

WyoNewk,

Being in the 99th percentile corresponds to an IQ score of 140 or more. Terman's definition of genius begins at IQ 145.

Many of us do not know our true IQ's. Many means of measuring intelligence do not go high enough to test us. For instance, the percentile rank - unless you get a percentile rank which has been calculated to go many places after the point (like 99.5418998845) it is not specific beyond indicating that your intelligence level corresponds to an IQ of at least 140. Even SAT doesn't go past a correlation with IQ 160. There is only one test that goes beyond 160 called the Stanford Binet LM. A lot of tests stop at 130, 140, 160, or wherever.

With the information you have given me, it is not out of the question to consider that YOU might have an IQ near 175. Not every genius is ambitious. The smartest guy I know works at a grocery store.

Your relationship with a genius woman is not evidence that relationships between geniuses and normal people can work, as your relationship was actually a relationship between a genius and someone who was very gifted. You are at least on the border of genius if not actually a genius.

The good news is, you're likely to be a genius. The bad news, your point is totally invalid!

Sorry, you're intelligent and wrong.

Last edited by She_Was_A_Phoenix; 11-28-2008 at 01:07 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2008, 12:58 AM

JonathanLB,

A lot of people are geniuses and don't realize it. You might be one of them.

I was an unidentified genius until this year.

If you have the choosiness of a genius that does seem to suggest it...

What are you looking for specifically?

Last edited by She_Was_A_Phoenix; 11-28-2008 at 01:10 AM..

Old 11-28-2008, 01:12 AM

943 posts, read 3,341,178 times
It is a little rough out there because most people have sheep like mentalities. They'd rather swallow the blue pill and be complacent with their head in the sand.

Old 11-28-2008, 01:23 AM

52,441 posts, read 52,985,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMG1 View Post
It is a little rough out there because most people have sheep like mentalities. They'd rather swallow the blue pill and be complacent with their head in the sand.

Like the Matrix reference.

Old 11-28-2008, 01:58 AM

7,087 posts, read 8,677,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by She_Was_A_Phoenix View Post
JonathanLB,

Hey,

Well I have done a pretty extensive IQ test once, because I was curious, and I tested at 135, which is by most standards well below genius level, and I can tell you that I am no genius. I always had to work hard in school to get great grades, it didn't come as easy to me as it did the really brilliant kids. I would work twice as hard to get let's say a 95, they'd get a 99 or something with half the work. My friend Sean is a genius, nobody gets a 1590 on the SAT when it was 1600 (the old test), taking it a year early, when he was also a year younger than us (so chronologically he took it two years earlier in his life than I did). Plus he handles med school with such ease compared to some people, I could never do that. I think about the world in a different way than most people, and I'm a smart guy, but I am no genius by any means. I just do my best with what I got and work hard

What am I looking for specifically in a girl? I guess the rarity, something really rare I'm not sure can even develop in this society -- an emotionally strong, physically able (good shape, fitness conscious, etc.), intelligent woman who has ambition and sees the world in a deeper way than just what society has ingrained in most people, and doesn't think life goals are like "getting married" and "have kids." How a girl like this could have developed in a society that places such high value on mediocrity and most peoples' silly values, I have no idea, but I hope against all odds such girls can exist.

Old 11-28-2008, 11:04 AM

9,724 posts, read 21,308,546 times
Quote:
WyoNewk,

Being in the 99th percentile corresponds to an IQ score of 140 or more....

Sorry, you're intelligent and wrong.
Sorry She_Was,
Being in the top 99% of my graduating class does NOT correspond to being in the 99th percentile. It was a little joke. Get it? Not top 1%, top 99%.

Old 11-28-2008, 11:08 AM

44,252 posts, read 64,587,566 times
Both my wife and I felt like we were adrift in a sea of morons for the longest time.

And the problem is that even if you meet and hang out with mostly really smart people (which we do), that does not mean that they are right for you in a relationship.

I have only dated beautiful, intelligent women; the sad thing is that they can be beautiful and intelligent and still very wrong for you!

Finding the right combination of everything is the trick!

Old 11-28-2008, 11:40 AM

25,146 posts, read 54,058,147 times
As a genius I'm looking for a guy who really knows how to use his light saber in creative ways.

Quote:
JonathanLB,

Old 11-28-2008, 11:42 AM

25,146 posts, read 54,058,147 times
Why are you harsh and judgmental to other people man? Why ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonathanLB View Post
That is how I feel a lot of the time, I am no genius, but the goals I have, the pressure I put on myself to succeed, and the standards I have, translate into being harsh on other people and judgmental. I don't apologize for those traits, however, it's just how I see the world. I may have seen 10,000 girls in my life who were cute to gorgeous, but the girls that I've met and spoken with and gotten to know a little bit, etc., have always disappointed me. I have yet to meet one woman I fully respected and admired, personally speaking at least. There is one girl who is close, but I think she has a few issues that are still not really ideal. I know there is no perfect woman but what I am saying is I have 5 close friends who I really admire and respect, whose opinions I value and who I consider in their own ways remarkable individuals. I have yet to meet a single girl who I feel that way about, intellectually, emotionally, whatever. I hope one day I find such a girl, but I won't hold my breath. I'll settle for short-term fun and a good time with an attractive girl with a reasonably good personality.

Old 11-28-2008, 11:53 AM

KMG1,

I think for most people it is very painful for them to try to noodle their way through abstract problems. I could do it all day and LOVE it, but that is not how most people are. I am either cursed or blessed with a disability in one subject that allows me to understand what it feels like to "hate thinking". The subject is math. In addition to being profoundly gifted, I also have dyscalculia, a math-related learning disorder. I understand the math concepts very well but I have difficulty manipulating the symbols. The result is that it literally hurts me to do a lot of math. The hurt mainfests first as stress and then, if I persist, I find that my brain becomes so exhausted out that I seriously can't even speak right anymore! I jumble up words and structure sentances like a foreigner, even speaking in my own native language! My sentances become less like a train of thought and more like a ten car pile up of words. I sound like an idiot! Its the strangest thing!

I don't have an aversion to mathematical computation because I am lazy or stupid. I have an aversion to it becasue my brain is physically not designed for it.

I am not sure exactly how it feels for normal people to work on abstract problems, but I have heard people complain that thinking gives them a headache or stresses them out. I don't think the reason they avoid doing these problems is because of laziness or stupidity. I am led to guess that the reason they don't noodle their way through abstract problems is because they are not equipped with a brain that is physically optimized for it.

They say that for intelligent people, the easy things are hard and hard things are easy. This is definitely true for me. I find it very hard to do jobs that are easy because of the tedium. Someone else may be relieved to do an easy job because it does not exhaust their brain. What I want is to noodle through abstract problems all day - I will gladly do what exhausts others! And what some want to do is to get something easy done and get their paycheck - they will gladly do what bores me to death! This is a good fit in my opinion! So, I believe there IS a place in the world for people who hate abstract thought!

The problem is that not enough of us abstract thinkers are working at our level, and that those of us who are often do not have the skills to translate our ideas to others or the means to spread these ideas on a large scale. I think that if we abstract thinkers work on learning to translate to normal people and work to get more exposure for our ideas, that we can compensate for the issues caused by ignorance. Those who are not gifted with brains that are great at abstract thought cannot be expected to solve the matter of their own ignorance.

It is us who has to go out there and make it happen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships