Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2008, 08:02 PM

990 posts, read 2,558,600 times

Advertisements

I am surprised that no one has hit upon the possibility that the "disappearing" person is attempting to avoid embarrassment, Embarrassment of himself or the other party.

Or the alternative is that this person simply does not have the social skills to address these issues.

Is it possible that during these few date, a "deal breaker" appeared that was not apparent or ignored during the initial phase of the relationship.

I can envision a trait that would be embarrassing to point out to the other party, but will "grind on the nerves" of this person. In his/her mind, it might be better to simply break off the relationship rather than being called on to proffer an explanation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2008, 08:07 PM

5,612 posts, read 15,119,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k374 View Post
Is "disappearing" on someone you are dating for maybe 2-3 times or so a disrespectful way to end it? By disappearing I mean just suddenly stopping to return any communication from them.
I will never understand why this has become an acceptable form of communication? What's wrong with being honest and simply saying you've changed your mind? Give the person the same courtesy and respect you would want. This behavior is the cause of lot of mistrust and difficulty with relationships people have.

You want a person without baggage? Try being honest and ending the relationship instead of "disappearing".

Old 09-27-2008, 08:57 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,959,965 times
You should only "disappear" on someone if you are a qualified and experienced magician.

Old 09-27-2008, 08:58 PM

One should never avoid embarrassing oneself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by banger View Post
I am surprised that no one has hit upon the possibility that the "disappearing" person is attempting to avoid embarrassment, Embarrassment of himself or the other party.

Or the alternative is that this person simply does not have the social skills to address these issues.

Is it possible that during these few date, a "deal breaker" appeared that was not apparent or ignored during the initial phase of the relationship.

I can envision a trait that would be embarrassing to point out to the other party, but will "grind on the nerves" of this person. In his/her mind, it might be better to simply break off the relationship rather than being called on to proffer an explanation.

Old 09-27-2008, 09:00 PM

Location: from houstoner to bostoner to new yorker to new jerseyite ;)
4,084 posts, read 12,687,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CESpeed View Post
I will never understand why this has become an acceptable form of communication? What's wrong with being honest and simply saying you've changed your mind? Give the person the same courtesy and respect you would want. This behavior is the cause of lot of mistrust and difficulty with relationships people have.

You want a person without baggage? Try being honest and ending the relationship instead of "disappearing".
Best answer. Disappearing with no explanation seems very childish and disrespectful of the other party. We're all adults here. We should act like it.

Old 09-27-2008, 09:01 PM

You are not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by houstoner View Post
Best answer. Disappearing seems very childish. We're all adults here. We should act like it.

Old 09-27-2008, 09:04 PM

13,784 posts, read 26,257,416 times
Talk to the person...every time you think you are out of the woods, they will appear out of the blue...at the grocery store, dating a friend, at a cocktail party.

It is always a good idea to just make it right the first time.

Old 09-27-2008, 09:06 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,673,094 times
Sure, break up the right way.

"I'm calling from a pay phone, in another state. Don't try to find me."

Old 09-27-2008, 09:06 PM

I know...soooo true.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrstewart View Post
Talk to the person...every time you think you are out of the woods, they will appear out of the blue...at the grocery store, dating a friend, at a cocktail party.

It is always a good idea to just make it right the first time.

Old 09-27-2008, 09:10 PM

13,784 posts, read 26,257,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
I know...soooo true.
It happens to me all the time...at one point I was running into my high school nemesis EVERY time I went to the grocery! We finally talked because it was obvious we had stuff to work out and the Big Guy was going to make sure we figured it out or we were going to keep running into each other...Karma.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships