Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2008, 08:34 AM

34 posts, read 136,088 times

Advertisements

I have to agree that it would be the right thing to call and explain, or at the minimum write an email. Sitting back wondering what went wrong thinking; "what did I do" and "what did I say wrong?" is a terrible feeling, and it can leed to some obsessive thoughts and behaviors. If the dates went well for both of you she will have a lot of questions, which leads me to wonder why you don't want to see her again?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2008, 08:39 AM

28,900 posts, read 30,279,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k374 View Post
Is "disappearing" on someone you are dating for maybe 2-3 times or so a disrespectful way to end it? By disappearing I mean just suddenly stopping to return any communication from them.

yes, a real deal breaker, which shows, that person, doesn't have the ability to talk things out...or, isn't certain if your that person's idea of compatiblity. Apparently, he/she is not that attracted to you...and is also very disrespectful. If they return, it's only b/c they know you'll go out when he/she returns...stop all communication and find someone else...don't allow this person to play with you...or your heart.

Old 09-28-2008, 09:04 AM

342 posts, read 1,831,799 times
In an otherwise healthy, normal relationship (no stalkers, etc), I think it's immature, rude, and cowardly to just dissappear on someone.

Whether you need a whole break-up discussion depends on how serious the relationship was, how invested the individuals were in the relationship, and how long the two were together. But even if it was just a few dates, a simple "this isn't working for me" should not be too much to ask (no lengthy explanation necessary). It's just decent to let the other person know you're intent and not waste their time.

Old 09-28-2008, 12:56 PM

353 posts, read 906,083 times
It's a cowardly way to end things.

Most often you aren't doing it because the person is a stalker, you are choosing to just disappear because you are a coward.

It's very rude and disrespectful. Be an adult and tell the truth. You aren't saving anyone's feelings but your own by acting in such an immature fashion.

Old 09-28-2008, 01:50 PM

990 posts, read 2,558,270 times
I get it now....

This is like the whole "exit interview" thing, when you quit a job....

Old 09-28-2008, 02:27 PM

1,509 posts, read 3,084,637 times
The OP never said anything about abuse. I don't know why people are bring that in.

It's considered less rude to disapear than to break by text.

Old 09-28-2008, 04:38 PM

174 posts, read 596,948 times
I think it's a pretty crappy thing to just disappaer on someone that you are dating. I had that happen to me once years ago. I was involved with a woman for 4 months when she all of a sudden vanished. She stopped returning my calls and ignored my two letters and after three months of being gone, I then found out that she was dating a friend of mine. Our friendship came to an abrupt end when I found out the truth. Looking back at that time in my life, I still feel that she could have at least had the courtesy of telling me that it was over between us. When you are involved with someone and everything seems to be going well and then that other person just vanishes, I have no respect for that person. It's also a very sh^%ty thing to do to someone.

Old 09-28-2008, 04:39 PM

111 posts, read 353,735 times
It could be rude if you've been seeing each other for a while. My ex disappeared when he reported to Japan as per his orders. Didn't hear from him for, like, three or four months, so I considered it over and moved on. One day I got an international phone call from him randomly out of the blue. I didnt' answer it. He didn't call back. If you've only been on 2-3 dates, and one of you dissapears, it's not terribly rude imo. The mature thing to do would be to say it in person, but it's better than getting an email or text saying so.

Old 09-28-2008, 06:26 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,956,590 times
You sound like such a sweet guy and she sounds like a real mean monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKE-Ed View Post
I think it's a pretty crappy thing to just disappaer on someone that you are dating. I had that happen to me once years ago. I was involved with a woman for 4 months when she all of a sudden vanished. She stopped returning my calls and ignored my two letters and after three months of being gone, I then found out that she was dating a friend of mine. Our friendship came to an abrupt end when I found out the truth. Looking back at that time in my life, I still feel that she could have at least had the courtesy of telling me that it was over between us. When you are involved with someone and everything seems to be going well and then that other person just vanishes, I have no respect for that person. It's also a very sh^%ty thing to do to someone.

Old 10-01-2008, 12:35 AM

14,725 posts, read 33,379,000 times
Ok, help me out, since this thread is very timely for me.

Three dates over 1 and 1/2 months, preceded by 1 month of phone calls, distance factor was almost 2 hours by car, and I basically reconsidered since I could see we were both "set in our ways" (her more than me, in my observations, as she has never moved out of a very small area and evidently never will).

Nice person but it wouldn't work long-term. Should I explain or is drifting apart ok?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships