Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2008, 08:07 PM

1,818 posts, read 3,094,122 times

Advertisements

I agree, if someone does not want to be a parent...then DON'T BE,
we have enough unwanted unloved children as it is.

I like all the girly things, clothes, perfume and having my children.
They are all adults now and have turned out to be wonderful people.

The things I don't like about being a woman are periods, cleaning house,etc, except my husband has always helped out. He is a sweetheart.

Last edited by LadyRobyn; 10-24-2008 at 08:36 PM.. Reason: removed orphaned quote
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2008, 08:22 PM

4,789 posts, read 14,746,125 times
I once told my coworker that it's hot being a hot chick and he said no way - the man's got control over them and they gotta clean and cook take care of the kids etc...

Old 10-24-2008, 09:09 PM

2,657 posts, read 8,033,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sassyone View Post
I agree, if someone does not want to be a parent...then DON'T BE,
Nice to see that kind of attitude nowadays. Thirty+ years ago, when I came out as a childfree female, I was nearly burned at the stake. Everthing on that breeder bingo card was thrown at me Probably the biggest thing I've ever hated about being a woman is the hassles entailed in not getting pregnant

I think it's probably been worse for previous generations of women. It's a laugh riot now, but my grandmother (born before the 1st World War), thought it her duty to pass on to me her sage knowledge about A Woman's Duty. Things like:
  • sex is bad; you endure it because of the child that will be conceived
  • when it's Your Time of the Month you are supposed to rest and not do anything strenuous
  • "when I had my first baby, I had three BMs (bowel movements - those women were strict about eupemisms) during labor. I just want to warn you about how nasty the process is"
  • "what do you mean, you aren't going to have kids! that's why G*d put you on this earth!"
More along that vein ... the way she talked, a woman's life was shame and sorrow; just a very sad lot. I always nodded my head and went sailing merrily through life, enjoying scandalous and fertility-free sex; riding my motorcycle no matter what day of the month it was; and doing one of these: to the thought of being tied down with rug monkeys. The woman thought I was such a hussy

Old 10-24-2008, 09:11 PM

7,087 posts, read 8,637,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverwing View Post
Nice to see that kind of attitude nowadays. Thirty+ years ago, when I came out as a childfree female, I was nearly burned at the stake. Everthing on that breeder bingo card was thrown at me Probably the biggest thing I've ever hated about being a woman is the hassles entailed in not getting pregnant

I think it's probably been worse for previous generations of women. It's a laugh riot now, but my grandmother (born before the 1st World War), thought it her duty to pass on to me her sage knowledge about A Woman's Duty. Things like:
  • sex is bad; you endure it because of the child that will be conceived
  • when it's Your Time of the Month you are supposed to rest and not do anything strenuous
  • "when I had my first baby, I had three BMs (bowel movements - those women were strict about eupemisms). I just want to warn you about how nasty the process is"
  • "what do you mean, you aren't going to have kids! that's why G*d put you on this earth!"
More along that vein ... the way she talked, a woman's life was shame and sorrow; just a very sad lot. I always nodded my head and went sailing merrily through life, enjoying scandalous and fertility-free sex; riding my motorcycle no matter what day of the month it was; and doing one of these: to the thought of being tied down with rug monkeys. The woman thought I was such a hussy
It's fantastic you were able to overcome that and be an independent woman who didn't let society dictate what she should be in life and how she should enjoy her life. The world needs more people like you.

Old 10-25-2008, 01:22 AM

630 posts, read 1,294,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonathanLB View Post
Have you ever been in fights? I've sparred hundreds of times, often with third degree black belts, and pads or not you can get hurt pretty bad. So yeah, I have some experience with pain. It's not a big deal, if you just don't act like such a GIRL about it.

I've heard this about girls "multitasking" all of the time, I have no idea what is implied by this? Both genders can multitask just fine. I've never seen any evidence to the contrary. My mom always had a million things going on at a time. I'm a director, and most directors are male, we do PLENTY of multitasking as well. On a film set, it's not uncommon to have to answer questions from 5-6 people in a period of 10 minutes while you're having a few different discussions, one with your lead actor, another with your DP, and answering questions from the makeup artist or wardrobe person about what you want for the scene, often while giving instructions to the production designer as well. Everyone multitasks. You can't succeed in life without it.

PS: Breeder bingo, OH MY GOD! THAT IS THE GREATEST THING EVER! I am going to save that and print that, hahahahaha. Wow.
haha..... sparring???? a controlled and organized fight is about as far from a real streat fight as you can get. I would love to see a wrestler get a hold of you, once hes got you on the ground its over baby! You were not taught to know how to grapple and fight on the ground. If you would like to know I have been in a real fight and it wasn't a spar and the one who was left crying was the guy that was beating me with his bycle chain. I eventually grabbed it out of his hand and beat him back to the ground with it and he was left running home crying, literally. Self defense is self defense and im not proud of it but its what i had to do - thats good for me considering i am not a real fighter and i know better than to pretend that because i have a black belt in something that i know what real a real fight is. Oh and as far as the multitasking issue, i believe it was you who brought up the fact that women cannot multitask by bringing up a false and predictable generalization to women. Im glad to see youve changed your view, so which is it ? you claimed that women cannot multitask ( by your ignorant generalisation) and then you claimed that men and women can multitask equally, it seems to me you cannot make up your mind. I on the other hand expected a comment like that out of someone like you, so i really could care less about it as its not really my problem what you think in your silly little head.

Last edited by okie333; 10-25-2008 at 01:35 AM..

Old 10-25-2008, 01:36 AM

I never said anything about women not being able to multitask, I just said they can't multitask better than guys. There is no evidence I've seen to indicate that.

Nietzsche once said, "It's hard enough to remember my opinions, let alone my reasons for them" and don't you think I have the right to change my mind if I want? I can play Devil's Advocate, say women cannot multitask with anything meaningful, evoke a reaction out of you that makes you empathize with my reaction to when it was said earlier that women can multitask better than men, and then tell you my real opinion. If I can't use words to make you reconsider what you said, or to make you think one thing and then switch it out for another, what point is there to debate? I'm not required to be consistent between one post and another. That's your opinion I should act that way, not mine. I reserve the right to say one thing in one post and another thing in the very next post, if for no other reason than to see how you react. If you want my actual opinion on something, you should be more specific

As for your other comments, don't be naive -- I have TWO black belts, one in grapping / ground combat and one in striking. I'm a black belt in both Tae-Kwon-Do and Hapkido, and Hapkido focuses on what happens when an attacker grabs you, gets you on the ground, etc. You'd be right if I just knew a striking art, but since you obviously lack any debate skills you forgot to ask if I had training in that area, instead you just jumped to conclusions, something you seem very good at doing! I've also trained in nunchucks and fire-arms. I'm a well-rounded combatant. And yes I've been in real-life fights before as well. It's a lot more about confidence and keeping your cool than it is about fancy technique, but knowing a few moves very well is enough to save your butt in many instances.

A wrestler would never even get close to anyone who was decent at Tae-Kwon-Do. It's a nice thought that IF he got me on the ground, he'd have an advantage, which is still true because he'd probably have weight on me, most likely, or know more ground moves than I do. But you can spot a wrestler immediately, they always put their head down and their arms out, trying to grab you, too bad that's completely ineffective to even the simplest of our moves. A very easy to execute front kick to the face completely immobilizes the attacker. With that attack position you couldn't get close enough to any Tae-Kwon-Do combatant to get them on the ground. If you somehow managed to get them AFTER you got kicked hard to the face, you'd be in such bad shape you wouldn't stand a chance against anyone trained in Hapkido. Wrestlers are no threat. I'm more worried about a fast and agile boxer. Wrestling is a joke.

Old 10-25-2008, 02:45 AM

630 posts, read 1,294,914 times
Quote:
I never said anything about women not being able to multitask, I just said they can't multitask better than guys. There is no evidence I've seen to indicate that.

Nietzsche once said, "It's hard enough to remember my opinions, let alone my reasons for them" and don't you think I have the right to change my mind if I want? I can play Devil's Advocate, say women cannot multitask with anything meaningful, evoke a reaction out of you that makes you empathize with my reaction to when it was said earlier that women can multitask better than men, and then tell you my real opinion. If I can't use words to make you reconsider what you said, or to make you think one thing and then switch it out for another, what point is there to debate? I'm not required to be consistent between one post and another. That's your opinion I should act that way, not mine. I reserve the right to say one thing in one post and another thing in the very next post, if for no other reason than to see how you react. If you want my actual opinion on something, you should be more specific

As for your other comments, don't be naive -- I have TWO black belts, one in grapping / ground combat and one in striking. I'm a black belt in both Tae-Kwon-Do and Hapkido, and Hapkido focuses on what happens when an attacker grabs you, gets you on the ground, etc. You'd be right if I just knew a striking art, but since you obviously lack any debate skills you forgot to ask if I had training in that area, instead you just jumped to conclusions, something you seem very good at doing! I've also trained in nunchucks and fire-arms. I'm a well-rounded combatant. And yes I've been in real-life fights before as well. It's a lot more about confidence and keeping your cool than it is about fancy technique, but knowing a few moves very well is enough to save your butt in many instances.

A wrestler would never even get close to anyone who was decent at Tae-Kwon-Do. It's a nice thought that IF he got me on the ground, he'd have an advantage, which is still true because he'd probably have weight on me, most likely, or know more ground moves than I do. But you can spot a wrestler immediately, they always put their head down and their arms out, trying to grab you, too bad that's completely ineffective to even the simplest of our moves. A very easy to execute front kick to the face completely immobilizes the attacker. With that attack position you couldn't get close enough to any Tae-Kwon-Do combatant to get them on the ground. If you somehow managed to get them AFTER you got kicked hard to the face, you'd be in such bad shape you wouldn't stand a chance against anyone trained in Hapkido. Wrestlers are no threat. I'm more worried about a fast and agile boxer. Wrestling is a joke.

haha

Last edited by okie333; 10-25-2008 at 02:54 AM..

Old 10-25-2008, 04:02 AM

2,657 posts, read 8,033,385 times
Quote:
Actually, both sexes multitask well, they just do it differently. Studies have proved it
Hunter vs. gatherer (and then some) - Los Angeles Times

Quote:
In the lab, when men and women perform language tasks (in which women perform better) or spatial tasks (in which men outperform women), women’s brains are activated widely, with much sharing of information between the hemispheres, Gur says. Women, he says, are naturally multi-tasking, sweeping in a wide array of details before they draw a conclusion.

When men are given the same tasks, their brains tend to “light up” more selectively, largely using those areas of the brain that specialize in the task at hand. And these components work together differently than in women.

Men’s brains are more richly connected by so-called “white matter” between the back of the brain, where information is received and processed, and the front, where responses and actions are formulated. By default, Gur says, men’s brains are primed to act – often before priorities have been set and the whole of a situation is assessed and analyzed. Their approach to tackling many tasks at once may, in effect, be to roll up their mental sleeves and get working on them – one at a time but as fast as possible.

“In a stressful, confusing multi-tasking situation, women are more likely to be able to go back and forth between seeing the more logical, analytic, holistic aspects of a situation and seeing the details,” Gur says. “Whereas men will be more likely to deal with [the situation] as, ‘I see/I do, I see/I do, I see/I do.’ ”

That might make men, overall, a little faster at completing some tasks that involve mental juggling and women a bit more accurate. And it fits with the findings of a 2000 study of short-term, or working, memory conducted by UCLA researchers and published in the publication Neuroreport.

Old 10-25-2008, 05:39 AM

These types of studies are never really conclusive, considering there are always studies to the contrary that arise. It just depends on the way the test was performed and the test group. I mean, it was thought for a while that smoking might reduce your chance for Alzheimer's, because relatively few Alzheimer's patients ever smoked (or couldn't remember doing so -- ha ha just kidding), but then it was like, oh, duh, the smokers didn't live long enough to get Alzheimer's much of the time.

There was a while there where they released a study that said you should have 8 glasses of water a day. I was probably, what, 10 or so? Even though I was 10, and apparently intelligent adults had released that study, I immediately told my parents it was bullsh*t. But that's because unlike many adults, I only cared about the common sense answer -- there's no way that a girl who weighs 100 pounds and rarely exercises is going to need the same 8 glasses of water that Lance Armstrong is going to need, therefore based on no research at all I could tell it was totally BS. Sure enough, 10 years later or so I was vindicated and it said the obvious, common-sense answer -- you drink when you're thirsty. That's what I told my mom all along. They had some sort of answer like, "No, when you're thirsty you already are dehydrated!" No, you're not. That's like saying when you have to take a leak your bladder is about to explode, or when you're hungry you're already starving. It's nonsense. A lot of times the simplest answer is the best, and research isn't needed to confirm the obvious. It's a waste of research dollars.

In the case of multi-tasking, it really depends on the individual and the way they like to do things. I'm sure there's some gender preferences, there usually is, but the notion that somehow girls "think about things more before doing them" is nonsense. Different people work different ways. I prefer to focus on several things at a time, rather than tons of things at a time. I can only do maybe 3 things in life really great at once, so I'm not going to have more than that going at once. Other people may prefer to do 5-7 things fairly well at once, or whatever. Then at any given time, it's not hard to multi-task, anyone can do it except a total retard. It's not a skill. Multi-tasking is nothing more complicated than, for instance, crunching some numbers while having a long document printing out, then sending an e-mail to someone as your dishes are running.

EVERY teenager is great at multitasking, it's something you cannot live without. My editor, who acts like a teenager (haha), will be talking to two girls on his cell phone through text messaging, two more on AIM, three on MySpace, all the while editing my project. And he's not really THAT smart

Old 10-25-2008, 07:40 AM

37,619 posts, read 46,006,789 times
The ONLY thing I don't like about being a woman, is that I cannot go out, by myself, if I am alone that night, and have a drink or listen to some music, without being branded as a chick that is "looking for action". I despise the double standard there. It's not something I do often, but I happen to love music and our local bands, and I really enjoy listening to them. Once in a while, if a favorite is playing nearby, and I have no one to accompany me that night, I sometimes say the heck with it, and go by myself. And then after all the looks and free drinks and offers, I am made to feel as if I had no right to be there alone. It's beyond annoying.

Other than that, I love being a woman...every single thing about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships