Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2008, 08:12 AM

78,552 posts, read 60,749,385 times

Advertisements

Ok, so dating and not wanting to just work on one person, not have it work out and then start all over at square one with someone resetting things for months.

How do I describe this....I guess I'm looking for advice to avoid a situation where someone gets hurt. Any advice?

1. I am being open that I am not exclusive and intend to date.
2. If one of them starts to get ahem *cozy* with me and seems cool with it then I won't flip to exclusive, might just be the level she wants at this time.
3. I would feel a little uncomfortable with having more than one woman I'm cozy with on a semi-regular basis...

Curious to hear your stories and opinions on pitfalls to avoid, things done right or wrong....this is ALL new to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2008, 08:39 AM

42,831 posts, read 88,221,103 times
Brother, I start getting the feeling I'm watching The Bachelor!

No advice on this one. I'd be curious to hear people's opinions as well as this strictly-American concept has always been mind-boggling to me...

Old 11-11-2008, 08:41 AM

9,846 posts, read 22,696,157 times
First I think the less you say the better. Don't try to explain yourself or your actions, as soon as you do, you are dead man walking. I think you can make it clear you are just taking it easy and getting out and meeting new people, but I wouldn't go further. Wouldn't get too intense about it or overthink it. And if they jump you, they jump you. Still wouldn't try to explain yourself or talk about what you are doing elsewhere. Go with the flow. And then when you find someone you like then go with it and drop the others.

I used to have to keep a poster board diagram of all the women I was dating because I would loose track of things. One thing I learned was don't date 3 of the 4 women in one apartment. I would try to keep the number of active women you are dating to a few.

Old 11-11-2008, 08:42 AM

2,412 posts, read 5,087,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Ok, so dating and not wanting to just work on one person, not have it work out and then start all over at square one with someone resetting things for months.

How do I describe this....I guess I'm looking for advice to avoid a situation where someone gets hurt. Any advice?

2. If one of them starts to get ahem *cozy* with me and seems cool with it then I won't flip to exclusive, might just be the level she wants at this time.
3. I would feel a little uncomfortable with having more than one woman I'm cozy with on a semi-regular basis...

Curious to hear your stories and opinions on pitfalls to avoid, things done right or wrong....this is ALL new to me.
hmmmm go on "the bachelor"

Old 11-11-2008, 08:44 AM

37,653 posts, read 46,084,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post

It's difficult for me to truly "date" more than one person. Even if I have a grand success of finding some promising men, and meet them all, I've always found that there is one that rises (no pun intended here!!) to the top. If I was on a 2nd or 3rd date with someone, and they told me that they were dating others, I expect that it would be a very "cool" date - I have a feeling I would not be myself and I'd be a bit...I don't know...distant. I would not want to let myself think of this person romantically at all, since they could quite easily be thinking of someone else the entire time. Probably sounds sappy, but that is how I am. Now if we are just talking about "meeting" people, that is a different story. Initial meetings I don't even consider a date - and I've actually met more than one guy on the same day, so I have no problem with that at all.

Of course I'm assuming that you are NOT talking about the "S" word here, right? Once that starts, I'm totally a one-man woman, and I'd expect complete exclusivity - in fact I would discuss that first.

Old 11-11-2008, 08:47 AM

37,653 posts, read 46,084,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post
First I think the less you say the better. Don't try to explain yourself or your actions, as soon as you do, you are dead man walking. I think you can make it clear you are just taking it easy and getting out and meeting new people, but I wouldn't go further. Wouldn't get too intense about it or overthink it. And if they jump you, they jump you. Still wouldn't try to explain yourself or talk about what you are doing elsewhere. Go with the flow. And then when you find someone you like then go with it and drop the others.

I used to have to keep a poster board diagram of all the women I was dating because I would loose track of things. One thing I learned was don't date 3 of the 4 women in one apartment. I would try to keep the number of active women you are dating to a few.
You SHOULD be on a poster....with a big red line crossed though your picture.

Old 11-11-2008, 08:51 AM
miu

17,770 posts, read 40,206,433 times
I've never done the multi-dating thing. But I've always had a lot of platonic male friends. I guess that based on my experiences with all of my platonic male friends, I had a good idea of what I wanted in a boyfriend. So when I meet a guy that I really click with personality and common interest-wise, I KNOW that he's the one I want to consider pursuing a relationship. Of course, I still take my time to make sure that he's a good person and trustworthy.

I guess that I find each man individual and unique enough that I've never been confused about which ones were boyfriend material and which ones were not. It's not enough to be pleasant looking and overall compatible. There has to be a real spark of me wanting to be exclusive with him.

I'm also a very patient person. If no one is really sparking my fancy or standing out to me as truly special, I will not date a mediocre nice person just for the sake of dating and having male company. I would rather wait, be completely single, for the right man to come along to date. I've never wanted to be in a mediocre relationship, then to meet a great guy and have to dump a mediocre boyfriend in order to date the great guy. That isn't fair to the mediocre guy and it just goes against my sense of integrity and moral values.

Old 11-11-2008, 08:52 AM

2,163 posts, read 4,343,986 times
I pretty much assume if I meet a guy from online dating, that he's probably going out with more than just me. I'm fine with that as long as we're keeping things casual but if he wants to get "cozy" I'd better be the only one.

Old 11-11-2008, 09:05 AM

11,399 posts, read 24,480,429 times
I think it's fine to be casually dating a few people at one time.

Like ChessieMom also said, I think my feelings for a guy would be diminished if I found he was more than casually interested in several women.

Ideally, you should keep your mouth shut about your other relationships. But don't lie if asked.

Women are territorial and we despise players. But I think most of us are fair-minded and are probably doing the same thing ourselves when it comes to casual dating. Does that make sense?

Once the line is crossed and physical affection begins - even if it's not sex - most women would like to feel like the relationship is becoming or has become exclusive. (I'm thinking this out as I write)

So, probably a good rule of thumb might be to avoid getting too close until you're sure what you want from the relationship. And if you intend it to be casual sex, then you need to figure out how to deal with her (or your other women's) emotional issues in advance.

Last edited by ellie; 11-11-2008 at 09:14 AM..

Old 11-11-2008, 09:06 AM

78,552 posts, read 60,749,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frootloop6 View Post
I pretty much assume if I meet a guy from online dating, that he's probably going out with more than just me. I'm fine with that as long as we're keeping things casual but if he wants to get "cozy" I'd better be the only one.
That's kinda where I'm at in my mind. I'm not trying to overthink this...trying to pre-think this just so I don't get caught flat footed in certain situations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships