Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-15-2009, 07:57 PM

5,324 posts, read 6,101,587 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shizzles View Post
As a guy (And not widely considered a "hot" one at that), I admit that many guys do act in creepy and disgusting ways around attractive women that'd make me have my guard up too.

However, there are alot of women that quite frankly need to check themselves w/ regard to how they act around guys they're not attracted too. Alot of girls >30 who are even marginally cute will be totally rude or ignore you if they're in a customer service position and you as a guy customer tries to conduct buisness. I don't need an attitude problem while I'm trying to check out a bottle of soap at my local CVS, simply becuase I don't meet your astehtic standards and you
're deathly afraid I'll do something totally pervy and creepy like ask you how your day was.

Having your guard up is one thing, but alot of women use saftey/privacy as an excuse to act ignorant towards guys they aren't attracted to. If it's really about being "safe", then why do I see so many girls completely open up to attractive men like it's no thing. How do you know he's not the attacker-in-waiting you've been paranoid about all this time?

It's a shield against unattractive men, not men in general. This is where the resentment comes from.
Thats allot of women in geenral if theyre not attracted to you then they hope u dont try to strike any convo..

If your good looking they melt and wil laugh at any stupid joke..Were a sueperficail society.We treat good looking people as if therye better people in general allot of times..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2009, 08:55 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,016,245 times
I'm pretty sure men do this with woman in public they are not attracted to. It's called LIFE in a public setting

Old 10-15-2009, 09:06 PM

7,006 posts, read 6,995,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCanadian View Post
This is a trend that I think I just noticed.

Most very attractive people (young adults in particular) seem to have a near-permanent stone-faced expression on their face in public. They either never say anything or never say much and come across to me as very-unfriendly.
I think the reason for this is because attractive people -- those who are more likely to become targets of sexual harassment by strangers, let's be honest -- have learned to keep their expressions as neutral as possible around undesirables who may misinterpret everyday friendliness or a casual smile as a come-on. That's my theory.

Old 10-15-2009, 09:10 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,016,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by renault View Post
I think the reason for this is because attractive people -- those who are more likely to become targets of sexual harassment by strangers, let's be honest -- have learned to keep their expressions as neutral as possible around undesirables who may misinterpret everyday friendliness or a casual smile as a come-on. That's my theory.

Why would there be a smile in the first place if she is not attracted to the guy in public?

Old 10-15-2009, 09:36 PM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,176,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
Why would there be a smile in the first place if she is not attracted to the guy in public?
Maybe there is a general smile on her face because she is happy about something good in her life that she is thinking about. Maybe she is smiling because the weather is nice that day or she feels good about herself. Her smile would then have nothing at all to do with being attracted to some random strange man in her vicinity.

Old 10-15-2009, 09:38 PM

7,006 posts, read 6,995,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
Um, you've never see casual smiles from people? I see them everyday on the street from people who appear to just be having a good day, or thinking of something that makes them happy.

The fact is, women are socially trained to be smiley and friendly to people but it's a fine line to walk to be smiley and friendly without attracting the wrong people. And it happens a lot because too many men are clueless about picking up hints, body language, and other social cues that say, "I was just being friendly; leave me alone."

Of course, bitter men get angry that the smiley friendly girl wasn't actually interested in having sex with him and didn't appreciate his lewd catcalls so he calls her a cold b*tch and then complains on a messageboard that pretty girls never say hi to him and that all women are superficial gold diggers.

Old 10-15-2009, 09:39 PM

4,837 posts, read 8,855,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbrian12 View Post
Why do most very-attractive people act very-unfriendly?
Such women want to attract Mr. Right and don't want to spend half their time swatting off Mr. Almost Right.

Once they snag him, many change their tune. He may be good looking but is also the strong silent type or is mildly verbally abusive. At that point, they crave an outlet for conversation and become quite chatty with anyone who will listen, but always flashing their wedding ring as a precaution.

It goes to show that even good looking women, who have all the advantages, can't get in successful relationships.

However, they usually get "quality" arm candy and eventually, a reasonable divorce settlement.

Old 10-16-2009, 10:39 AM

2,184 posts, read 5,552,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCanadian View Post
This is a trend that I think I just noticed.

Most very attractive people (young adults in particular) seem to have a near-permanent stone-faced expression on their face in public. They either never say anything or never say much and come across to me as very-unfriendly.

Being a young adult straight single male, by default I've noticed this primarily with young women, but I've also noticed this amoung young guys too when I was bored.

Perhaps it is just my area.
The Greater Toronto Area is known for residents to be pretty cold or indifferent to strangers.
Perhaps I'm only noticing this because actractive people tend to draw more attention.

Or maybe I'm on to something...
Outside of California, I haven't noticed such behavior much. It's quite laid back in Oregon.

Old 10-16-2009, 11:40 AM

9,598 posts, read 16,568,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
Maybe there is a general smile on her face because she is happy about something good in her life that she is thinking about. Maybe she is smiling because the weather is nice that day or she feels good about herself. Her smile would then have nothing at all to do with being attracted to some random strange man in her vicinity.
Or maybe she reacts to pooping in her pants the same way an infant does.

Old 10-16-2009, 12:00 PM

8,176 posts, read 18,539,736 times
The kicker is..most of those that think they are "all that"????

Aren't.

I have a couple cousins that are model handsome...I mean if they weren't blood, I'd go after them.
But you know what makes them better looking?
They have no idea how handsome they are. They treat everyone the same.

It's usually the wannabe's that act that way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships